You made one statement that was a little shocking to me.
*****The only thing white people there "which was 90%" saw was another raving lunatic Puerto Rican. They barely notice the hard working ones cause they don't make noise.*******
I rather call these people Anglos instead of white. At this point I really don't know what white means anymore. I find that Anglos are mixing with non-Anglos at such a fast rate that soon white in the US will have the same meaning as in PR. However, that is not important.
Your right. If you have read my prior posts on the subject of white, you would know I've used other terms. I keep thinking Anglos is someone from Norway or Sweden, so it's hard to me to use "Anglo." White is still a dominiant word to describe English speaking Americans in this country and when I was writing last night I didn't feel like being politically incorrect. This area is a working class area. In the past people would always smile to anyone who was black or PR who shopped alongside them, but lately with the increase of violence and loud public behavior they rarely smile anymore or simply roll their eyes if someone acted out in public.
What bothers me is that I get the feeling that there is some sort of superiority associated with being called white and that is wrong. I have met too many Anglos that are extremely cafre.
Of course, but this section of Allentown (Whitehall) is an area where less than 10% of the people are Rican or Black. That 10% of Rican or Black were always seen as hard working people by the other 90%. Further down about a mile is where all the newcomers are settling. It also was the place were everyone first settled in the past. We have all kinds, blacks, anglos and Ricans mixed in that area, but most of the Anglos who are poor and live and mingle alongside them don't make the kind of noise that girl and the rest of them do in public. All the other poor PRs and Blacks who use to live there moved out because of the noise and increase in violence. The cops are always around the main supermarket on 7th st. Why? A fight breaks out everyday in that place.
If it helps---------- in PR I never referred to these people as white. I simply called them gringos.
I usually use "English Speaking Americans". Some members of my family, and friends are offended by the word Gringo. Stanley I'm aware there are a lot of riff raffs in all ethnic groups, but this generation is not a happy one. They are extremely boisterous in public, ready to bark at anyone who walks by. These people are the "squeezed out" people of NY, NJ and Philly area who could not afford the high cost of housing, refused to make changes in their lives to live better, etc.
From your words I assume you are in the middle of a major change in direction regarding your life. I suggest you consider Maryland or Virginia near DC. You will see a whole lot less cafrerķa.
My ex husband's family is from Silver Springs. I took our son there for a visit years ago.
Let me give you an example: Years ago when my kids were little I used to take them to an amusement park once a year. My choices were Six Flags in New Jersey or Kings Dominion in Virginia. The difference between these two was highly significant. Six Flags was cafrerķa heaven whereas Kings Dominion was more like Middle America with no loud mouths.
For the most part Boricuas are known for being full of life who could make you laugh, tell you wonderful stories, or dancing up a storm, but in some areas that is just a dream. Now it's all about reggeton, "what your looking at B", and jala jala. The Copa, once a classy place to dance, experienced violence with this new jala jala generation a few years ago. Walking into the Copa today is like walking into a high school with metal detectors! Who wants to frequent a place like that? Where does one find the serious, yet down to earth Boricuas socializing? About a few years ago I received an e-mail to join a private club where Boricuas were the main members. The membership fee was $500.00. Local business men here are always thinking of opening up some club. One day I told one of the men, "Why don't you open up a cafe/bookstore with a social cultural theme and provided performances twice a month?" He thought it would not make money. When one walks in to his insurance company you are welcomed with a "Yeah...what do you need" by his employers dressed in jeans and t-shirts. My insurance company calls me to remind me of any upcoming changes, better deals, or to simply say hello. When I walk in the office they are the sweetest people in the business. Stanley since it was she who wandered into this neighborhood with a levittown Lic # it was an unfortunate incident which I'm sure won't happen again, but will to others. 80% of the homes are up for sale in that area. I feel sorry for those who have to live alongside them day to day.
If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.