Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Religion & Philosophy > Bible
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

YAHWEH means I AM, in Greek EGOW EIMI, in Spanish YO SOY...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4th June 2001, 16:14

El_Jibaro
Talking

Lets see the EVIDENCE on this:

According to the Old Testament book of Exodus, both in its original Massoretic Hebrew Text, as well as the ancient Greek Translation called the Septuagint:

Quote:
Exodus 3:13,14
13 Then Moses said to God, "Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you." Now they may say to me, "What is His name?" What shall I say to them?" 14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM”; and He said, ""Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, "I AM has sent me to you."
Now lets see an interesting portion written by the elderly Apostle John (perhaps after writing Revelation in Patmos):

Quote:
John 8:24-30; 52-58
21Once more Jesus said to them, "I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. Where I go, you cannot come."

22This made the Jews ask, "Will he kill himself? Is that why he says, 'Where I go, you cannot come'?"

23But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that "I AM WHO I AM", you will indeed die in your sins."

25"Who are you?" they asked.

26"Just what I have been claiming all along," Jesus replied. "I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him I tell the world."

27They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. 28So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that "I AM WHO I AM" and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. 29The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him." 30Even as he spoke, many put their faith in him.
52 the Jews exclaimed, "Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?"

54Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. 56Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."

57"You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"

58"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, "I AM"!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
Quote:
John 18:2-8
2Now Judas, who betrayed him, knew the place, because Jesus had often met there with his disciples. 3So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons.

4Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"

5"Jesus of Nazareth," they replied.

6"I AM", Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I AM", they drew back and fell to the ground.

7Again he asked them, "Who is it you want?"
And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth."

8"I told you that "I AM", Jesus answered. "If you are looking for me, then let these men go." 9This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: "I have not lost one of those you gave me."
You guys can run around in circles, but the Evidence is PLAIN TO SEE.
Old 5th April 2004, 08:52

inca
I AM in Hebrew is "ani hu", something different from Moses' revelation. There are better translations like I was, I am, I will be or I CAUSE THE THINGS TO BE, etc. God is not trapped by the present time. It seems the name not only means He is "somebody" but he is "something" regarding his purpose.But then again, this requires a long chat.