Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Society > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cell phone scams

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2014, 22:51

carpediem is on a distinguished road
Oh my word!

As if landline telemarketers aren't bad enough.

I don't understand -- If they are making the call, why does the 'victim' pay for the call?
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:29

Yujike
Maybe because the FCC is in the pockets of the telemarketers and the phone companies.
If you do not answer, you can not be charged.
Hay instrucciones en inglés y en español..

Last edited by Yujike; 3rd January 2014 at 09:24.
Old 25th February 2014, 15:51

Yujike
Visa / MasterCard FRAUD► ……Person calling says - 'This is (name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460, your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank)…….. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?' ……..When you say 'No', the caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. The credit will be sent to (gives you your address). Is that correct?' You say 'yes'. …….. The caller then says, 'I need to verify you are in possession of your card'. He'll ask you to 'turn your card over and look for some numbers'. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the last 3 are the Security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the last 3 numbers to him……… After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, 'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card…He’ll say any questions? No, Bye.…..Your card will then be violated for big sums. Verified with Snopes: snopes.com: Visa Fraud Investigation Scam
Old 7th April 2014, 08:55

Yujike
How to Avoid a Scam 1) Government agencies never send emails or call people to threaten arrest, ask for money or request personal information. 2) Buy a Shredder – always shred documents with account numbers and other personal data. 3) Use the post office when personal information goes out. Do not put it in your mailbox. 4) Protect PINS and passwords from public view when using your debit card. 5) Never carry your Social Security number in your wallet. More tips at National Consumer Protection Week | Your Information Destination March 3-9, 2013
Old 24th November 2014, 09:39

Yujike
!!!Be Aware of Virus!!! You will receive an e-mail from UPS, Fed Ex, or USPS along with a packet number……. It will say that they were unable to deliver a package sent to you on such-and-such a date. It then asks you to print out the invoice copy attached. DON'T TRY TO PRINT OUT THE INVOICE. IT LAUNCHES THE VIRUS!........-