Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Love & Relationships > Family Matters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why so many broken families?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2002, 09:39

LaNegra
Question

Can someone explain this to me from a cultural perspective? I am interested in this in order to enlighten my daughter about why so many puerto rican families are scattered. "That's just the way it is" is not an acceptable answer. I'd like to know why so many are searching for immediate family members. Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd July 2002, 14:22

china19
IN MY CASE I WAS SEPARATED FROM MY MOTHER WHEN I WAS A LITTLE GIRL. I DON'T THINK IS A "PUERTO RICAN" THING. I THINK THAT IN EVERY CULTURE THERE ARE PEOPLE LOOKING FOR FAMILY MEMBERS. THIS IS WHY I WANT MY DAUGHTHERS TO LEARN ABOUT MY FAMILY. AT THIS POINT I DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHY MY MOTHER LEFT ME. I JUST WANT TO KNOW ABOUT HER. I HOPE THAT THIS GIVES YOU SOME INSIGHT FROM MY POINT OF VIEW.
Old 2nd July 2002, 15:55

LaNegra
@china 19
Thanks for your response. I was just curious. I think that I will begin a family tree for my daughter. Given the fact that I am more interested in this than her father is, I will take the initiative. That way she won't go without the knowledge. Thanks for your input!
Old 11th July 2002, 14:30

china19
I am glad that I could give you some insight on that. It is very important for you to teach your daughther about your family. This past Monday I found my mother and the rest of my family. Now I will never give them up. Please let her now where she comes from.
Old 11th July 2002, 21:41

LaNegra
Smile

Congratulations!

It's good to hear that you were reunited with your mother and family. There is no greater gift! Thanks to God. I wish you well and...yes I fully intend for my daughter to know her Puerto Rican roots! My family is closely connected,it's her father's side which is ambivalent about their history. I will do all that I can to teach her about Puerto Rico,I am African-American. Anything that I do will be more than his family will. Thanks and God Bless you.

Paz!
LaNegra
Old 14th July 2002, 08:10

hobbit
Unhappy

Well it is hard to find one reason there are so many yet I will give you my opinion as I see it. I think the main reason for broken families is the rat race to have all the good things we want from life, a house, nice car or cars, cable, cell phones, etc. All this cost money so now both parents are working, money gets to be the focus and when we are short of that we go after each other. We grow apart since we do not spend time with each other. We find different groups of people that appera to suit us as individuals not as a couple.

Our marriage becomes a business we egt up in the morning maybe give a kiss and go on our merry ways, we spend more time with coworkers and have dinners dates, parties, get tigethers with them than with our families. They become our center and the home takes second place. It is there we tend to find someone that fits our needs, cheating is added and then the family is no more.

Another problem is that in our marriage we get into a habit, we do things everyday the same way, we lose interest, we need to change every now and then, even in bed. We have to make it interesting and new like when a person first meet and fall in love.

Also remember kids are our life but not all of it take some time to dress up, buy clothing for each other, have some time off. We make this mistake and one or the other is negleted.

Most of all do not listen to chisme about your love one, at times this causes more problems than anything else. People will at times make up things just to talk, I am not saying that if you feel your spouse is cheating do not try to find out but do it with a professional, get it done if you find out nothing then leave it do not duel on it because it will only hurt, you should trust your spouse until you find proof and do not go looking for it unless there are clear signs.

Well hope this helps and I hate to admit it but but the culture of a man being able to cheat and not his wife is a cultural thing in Hispanics. There has been a gradual change yet it is there at times.

Remember this is my opinion and not the guide.
Old 15th July 2002, 08:32

FLOR-NEGRA
Wink

Good Morning Hobbit!

That was very well put....I always enjoy your opinion on things......you are such a very open minded person and for what I read you are also very understanding.....keep up the good work!