Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Society > Government & Legal Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What year did Puerto Rico gain it's independence?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 6th December 1999, 17:16

ryanmm37
What year did Puerto Rico gain it's independence? I am doing a Spanish project on Puerto Rico and I know it was July 25, I just can't find the year.

Please help me
Old 6th December 1999, 18:23

ABEJORRO
Independence from where? PR has never been independent from Spain or the US on the contrary it will soon some day be a full STATE!
PUERTO RICO 51!!!!!!!
Old 7th December 1999, 14:01

ryanmm37
thank you
my fault
didn't think about that one
Old 8th December 1999, 00:22

coqui4u
ryanmm37,

I graduated from High School several years ago, but I can tell you this, ABEJORRO doesn't know what he's talking about.
**In 1868 "Grito de Lares" where hundreds of men and women in P.R. revolted against Spain for P.R's independence.
**On September 29, 1898 P.R. was ceded to the U.S. after the Spanish American War
In 1916 P.R's were naturalized and given the American Citizenship under the Jones Act.
**On March 2, 1917 the Jones Act was signed by President Woodrow Wilson and P.R. became a territory of the U.S. On July 6, of the same year the first elections were held under the Jones Act.

***And we celebrate July 25th, because on July 25th, 1952 a new constitution was approved by P.R.'s voters in a referendum in March, and Puerto Rico was proclaimed as "Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" that's the answer to your question, becoming a state has nothing to do with what you asked. ABEJORRO get with the program and stop dreaming, you have to pay taxes before you can become a state, when you are ready to pay federal taxes then we can talk about statehood !
Ryanmm37, by the way you can visit the following URL: www.welcome.topuertorico.org/history.html
there's a lot to learn there and I'm sure you'd be able to find the answers to any question(s) you may have regarding P.R. and you don't have to apologize to no one and it's not your fault, only ignorant people will give you the kind of response you got from that other guy. Take care. If you care to comment. coqui4u@yahoo.com
Have a great day and hope my info can help you with the project.
Eddie sends

[This message has been edited by coqui4u (edited 07 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by coqui4u (edited 07 December 1999).]
Old 28th February 2009, 12:47

Yujike
Puerto Rico is the oldest colony in the world. It started in 1493 and continues unabated to this moment. In 1898 finally Spain made puertorricans FULL SPANISH CITIZENS but it only lasted 6 months when the US invaded and claimed the island for the US. In 1917, by an act of Congress we became american citizens. In 1952 the gringos put colorete on the face of the colony, let us come up with a worthless constitution that created the fabled ESTADO LIBRE ASOCIADO and let us use the flag to parade around in Olympic games and such like a real independent country, but ultimately the US Congress has the last word, regardless of what the estadolibristas tell you. Only the chain attached to our necks have become longer.
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:35

PunkMaister is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PunkMaister Send a message via MSN to PunkMaister Send a message via Yahoo to PunkMaister
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujike View Post
Puerto Rico is the oldest colony in the world. It started in 1493 and continues unabated to this moment. In 1898 finally Spain made puertorricans FULL SPANISH CITIZENS but it only lasted 6 months when the US invaded and claimed the island for the US. In 1917, by an act of Congress we became american citizens. In 1952 the gringos put colorete on the face of the colony, let us come up with a worthless constitution that created the fabled ESTADO LIBRE ASOCIADO and let us use the flag to parade around in Olympic games and such like a real independent country, but ultimately the US Congress has the last word, regardless of what the estadolibristas tell you. Only the chain attached to our necks have become longer.

A worthless constitution? How dare you? You are the one living in denial to the fact that despite all the problems we have, we have a standard of living that is above just about all other hispanic countries in the whole hemisphere. That we enjoy more freedom than the "Autonomy" Spain may have granted us before the war between the US and Spain. And to the fact that you represent a vey small minority going against an overwhelming mayority that want not only to remain American Citizens and just FYI that citizneship came in reward to the bravery of Puerto Rican Soldiers during WWI.

The world hath known no greater love than this, to die for one's friend John 15:13
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:06

Yujike
It is a worthless constitution and a worthless status, so I said it again and what are you going to do about it? I don't live in the ghetto of PR so I don't give a damn about what you or anybody else thinks about what I think. This status benefits the old elite of puertorrican families who still control all aspects of island politics. They are the ones who benefit from this worthless constitution and status.