Old 24th September 1999, 15:08

d_melendez
La forma correcta de escribirlo es
BORICUA. That's the right spellling.

------------------

*▀oricua69
Old 27th September 1999, 09:32

IDeJesus
Siempre ha sido y sera "Boricua" en el alphabeto latino. Quien sabe como lo escribian los Tainos en su idioma escrito?
Old 27th September 1999, 11:26

Cagueno
The Taino spelling of the word Boricua would have been a stick figure, like +< . Yet I don't think Tainos would see themselves as Boricuas, but as Tainos (same ones in Quisqueya and Cuba).
Old 2nd March 2001, 16:29

MDejesus
Question Correct spelling of Bori?ua???

It is true what Idejesus said who knows how the tainos spell it. However lets think spanish for a moment if the tainos called the island Borinquen then we will be Boriquas because it will have to be spell with "q" to read the way it does NOT Borincen or Boricen. I think that the proper way was with "q" but the Spaniers changed it.
Then the island was called porto [italian word-because Colon was italian his last name was Colombo] rico meaning in spanish puerto {pier in english} rico and rico because they thought they will find gold and the island was rich.
But always remember that Boricua, ....qua or even Borikua means what the island was called first by the Tainos.
From my point of view Boricua means origen, indian, identity it does not matters how we spell it is how strong you feel about it and how you carry yourself as a Boricua!! Is the original mix with spaniers and africans, not what it was change to by (foreigners) immigrants.
Some call themselves Boricuas others puertorrique˝os none of this matter go with your heart and whether you feel that you are Boricua anyway you want to spell it or puertorican always represent!!!!!!!
100% bori that my heart beat means the drums played by african or indians and that when I really hear a drum I think of my Isla del Encanto.
Go with Bori and when someone ask you just pronounce it and don't spell the whole thing a real Bori will know what this means.
MDejesus, Bori hasta la muerte

[Edited by MDejesus on 2nd March 2001 at 23:47]
Old 20th March 2001, 17:34

Ann
Smile Boricua

In spanish, they spell it as "boricua". Tainos spell it as "boriqua". Whatever you feel is true to use, use it. No true puerto rican will be offended because both are the same. I hope this helped you out.
Old 2nd April 2001, 22:11

Ponce9
What is the correct spelling of "Boriqua

Just to let you know the word "boricua" is not even in the dictionary, the right word is borinqueno, ( I don't have the symbol for above the n in my keyboard) it means from Puerto Rico. That boricua word is created by the same poeple who create "ruffo", "furnitura" and all that, in other words, created by people who dosen't open the books.

Ponce9
Old 2nd April 2001, 22:14

Ponce9
Also for the ones born in the Island, from the indians, africans or europeans they were called "Criollos" no boricua at all!