Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BORICUA - The Film

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14th November 2004, 21:46

Ecuajey
Thumbs up Yo soy...

Go to the movie's official website for more info on this critically acclaimed film by Chicagorican write/director, Mirabel Torres, about the intertwining lives of thee Boricuas in search of their identity in Chicago's main Puerto Rican neighborhood, Humboldt Park, the coutnry's second largest PR community.

http://www.boricuamovie.com

Old 20th January 2005, 04:43

_Sonita_
sounds like a good movie... i gotta catch that if i can! ^^ thanks for the heads up ^^ even tho im pretty late but maybe ill be lucky n itll come out on DVD
Old 22nd February 2005, 17:43

dulceAMOR
If its like boricua bond, with drugs, gangs and prostitution, then its no good.
Old 29th July 2005, 22:34

Mr. Taro is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Boricua films

Hi.Sounds like an honest portrayal of boricuas in the United States.Hope it's not full of the usual stereotypes.We need more boricua films not only about identity but also genre films,"art house" films,etc.Just imagine an horror movie boricua style,like "The killer alcapurria" or something like that.
Old 27th January 2011, 17:27

Radrook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuajey View Post
Go to the movie's official website for more info on this critically acclaimed film by Chicagorican write/director, Mirabel Torres, about the intertwining lives of thee Boricuas in search of their identity in Chicago's main Puerto Rican neighborhood, Humboldt Park, the coutnry's second largest PR community.

http://www.boricuamovie.com

Broken link
Old 27th January 2011, 17:52

Radrook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulceAMOR View Post
If its like boricua bond, with drugs, gangs and prostitution, then its no good.
Here are some reviews and opinions I found:

by mark-daniels ((Sun Jul 27 2008 15:34:55) Sun Jul 27 2008 15:34:55)

I just saw the film on TV, it was in a 2 hr spot, lots of commercials, so parts of the film were cut. Why did the guy beat German up at the end - I know German was selling his soul to the devil by trying to be accepted into a real estate investment company dominated by white agents, but what was relationship between the guy who beat him up and German? A relative of the grocery store family? What happened to the college student girl - why did she get a restraining order against her boyfriend? What did he do to her? I think Tata was the girl who lied about the birth certificate
- she is someone half white, hald puerto rican, unsure of her identity, so she gets fake certificate - what does this mean? She lies so her reward is becoming the queen? German sells his soul but is accepted by the white business world but rejected by his people? The only way to get ahead is lying and cheating people? Maybe there was no message, just a slice of life in chicago. It reminded me of DTRT, but perhaps that wasn't the directors intent, to make a controversial film about race....any feedback? BTW I am renting this from netflix so I can see the whole thing - the movie was ruined by my local cable station.

Plot Summary for
Boricua (2004) More at IMDbPro »
Slice of life in a Chicago neighborhood of Puerto Ricans, or boricuas. Tata wants to win a beauty pageant, Germán wants to succeed in real estate: both have few scruples. Lola is a college student who may get involved with Willy, a macho drug dealer. Violence simmers close to the surface. Family honor, saving face, unscrupulous choices, the longing for love, and a baseball autographed by Roberto Clemente figure in how events play out. Written by <jhailey@hotmail.com>

Humboldt Park Represents
17 October 2004 | by Arnoldo Valdez (chicago) – See all my reviews
This is a strong first feature from Marisol Torres depicting several Latino characters during a summer in Chicago's Humboldt Park. The performances are strong particularly the character of Willy as played by Ramses Jimenez. At times reminiscent of DO THE RIGHT THING, the films flaws at times lay with the director chewing off more than she can chew. Some of the characters are fascinating, such as the leech Latino Real estate agent who hustles his own people out of their neighborhoods, but one wishes that these and other characters like the pot smoking college student who falls for a thug, were more fleshed out. Being from Chicago, I thought the film was visually lacking as well. I wanted to see MORE of Humboldt Park and its awesome parks and boulevards, but the film only opens up visually during the parade sequences. Overall, a promising debut for its directors and talented actors and a TRUE CHICAGO film which understands its neighborhoods, unlike the typical Hollywood crap which uses the city for it's Sears Tower backdrop and shoots the rest in Toronto.

Boricua (2004) - IMDb