Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature and Film
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CHOCOLAT

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2001, 20:28

lacoctel
Thumbs up

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Que rico, me encanta el chocolate!

The name of this movie is Chocolat, the French spelling.
Prounounced SHAH-CO-LAHT.

Excellent excellent beautiful movie! It is a woman's film and a thinking man's film!

The protagonist is a woman mixed with Guatamalan and French, [no wonder I cried] Me toco mucho. She is also a single mom [no wonder I cried]. She moves around a lot to sell chocolate because she learned of its healing properties from her Indian/Guatamalan mother. But this small French village she is in is very judgemental about her being mixed, not very religious and a single mom! Wow!

Well I can't get into much else, you'll see how she does the chocolate shop thing and deals with this small town and these narrow minds. She is a beautiful strong woman with a lovely heart!

SEE THIS MOVIE.

I think it is an independent type film, possibly foreign made, but happens to be in English. It has already won 4 golden globe nominations!
Old 3rd January 2001, 06:53

Lorelei
Lacoctel,

I've seen the previews for this, and it is one I made a mental note that I definitely wanted to see. I enjoy "foreign" movies very much. The last one I saw that I really liked was "The Color of Paradise." Have you seen it? It's beautiful.
Old 5th January 2001, 00:06

lacoctel
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorelei
Lacoctel,

I've seen the previews for this, and it is one I made a mental note that I definitely wanted to see. I enjoy "foreign" movies very much. The last one I saw that I really liked was "The Color of Paradise." Have you seen it? It's beautiful.
Thanks for your response. Yea see this flick. Is the Color of Paradise still out? I'd like to see it. [Although that topic is for another board, I'll be here for a few more days til Weds. and I ended up going out w/that guy I was wanting to get to know, we went out a few days before new year's eve and then again on n.y.e. and then he came by to take me to lunch the other day. So 3 times and he calls a pretty regularly. He seems very sincere, but also things are moving kind of too fast for me. It's kind of scary when things move so fast. But ok, that's another board and a whole other topic.]

Take care Lorelie and Happy New Year

[I was just wondering what state you live in?]

Amira
Old 5th January 2001, 07:07

Lorelei
The "Color of Paradise" is available on video now. It is an Iranian film, has a great story and, if you're like me and you have only preconceived notions (gotten from the news) in mind about what the country of Iran is like, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Well, sounds like that guy means business. Well, what are you worried about? Take it slow, by all means. What else do you know about him? Can reliable others tell you about him?

I live in Colorado.
Old 12th January 2001, 14:29

jsm
I have not seen the movie. I generally only see movies heavy on special effects on the big screen. Others I wait for the video. I have read reviews stating the movie had themes similar to "Like water for chocolate" but not as original.

What do you think?

Jorge