Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Open Board > Open Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why do a lot of dark-skinned latinos hate black people?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th September 2004, 20:59

JaneMas
Suki:

Is there racism in Puerto Rico against darker or dark-skinned Puerto Ricans? You bet there is. Do I find it as poisonous as the USA white people's racism? No because as Waneko stated, in order for discrimination to be really bad it has to have ECONOMIC teeth. There has to be systemic lack of educational opportunity, segregation, white flight, and as a whole less of a piece of apple pie than what is available to be truly effectively discriminatory racism. In its subtle and not so subtle forms.

JM:

Very true! As a fact there are more Black Puerto Ricans in higher education than Whites in the Island (I hate having to use color but for stats I will need to). Many more whites are in higher positions, but you can give thanks to Americanism for that. Suki, Romanians, French, Italians, Greeks consider themselves Latin too. And they are, that's why I prefer Hispano, since it was meant to mean people of the New World of Spanish origin.

Da Realest, it had to be a very unpleasant moment when that woman said that about you at the door. Racism exist individually, it's not practiced by the population or the government as a whole. When you go for a job does the application have Black, White or Other in PR? I don't think so. I'm curious, do all Puerto Ricans treat you the same way that woman did years ago or is it a few?

Piri Thomas wrote the bio Down These Means Streets remember? He had a Black American friend who told him he was Black. When he took that trip with his friend to the South he conceded and became a Black Man. But Piri was Black in a World of English speaking Americans. From that moment on Piri Thomas addressed himself as a "Black Puerto Rican." Maybe he felt he needed to do that here in the states, but he never had to in PR or in Spanish Harlem. He himself reveals in his book without realizing it he was always a Puerto Rican by Puerto Ricans. It's a matter of choice and that was his.

[Edited by JaneMas on 29th September 2004 at 12:52]
Old 28th September 2004, 21:32

halle
Suki:

Tribal to me means only dealing with your own people. Not wanting to relate to others. You can be dress in a three-piece suit and still have a tribal mind. Your right since someone may take that term tribal the wrong way im going to edit that post.
Old 28th September 2004, 22:17

PhiDaWg61
Thumbs up Todavia caminando con los cangrejos?

Jane

"leave us alone with your North American racism. "
The nail's head is a-hurtin' I couldnt have said it better

Santos, Suki:

If we really want to be correct on this LAtin American thing then we must include Quebec on the list as well. French is considered to be a derivative of Latin As for being Latin, Latino, Hispanic, etc. I prefer to be called the grandson of a wetback Spaniard.
Old 28th September 2004, 23:28

halle
Post after Post !

I come into a Puerto Rican forum to hear social views from people who are of that Island society. Even learn a little something of their cultural views. The only things Im reading are Africans Americans this, North Americans that. The same in the Brazilian forum room, everything is AAs/NAs this and that! You go into an African American forum site and you will only see AA issues being discussed. What's up with that? Is there something deeper going on here?
Old 29th September 2004, 05:17
Delgado22

Re: Post after Post !

Quote:
Originally posted by halle
I come into a Puerto Rican forum to hear social views from people who are of that Island society. Even learn a little something of their cultural views. The only things Im reading are Africans Americans this, North Americans that. The same in the Brazilian forum room, everything is AAs/NAs this and that! You go into an African American forum site and you will only see AA issues being discussed. What's up with that? Is there something deeper going on here?

Yes, self-actualization, and hence, some self-hate. But it is good we are discussing it openly. LOL
Old 29th September 2004, 06:42

JaneMas
And for that past couple of years all I've read were titles like you see RIGHT HERE. Therefore I finally decided to start giving my views. What's wrong with telling what I feel is the truth? What's wrong with finally giving some flash to people who constantly post titles like this. Take a look at the section and see how many "Why do Latinos hate blacks", or "Why do Ricans think they are white" or why do....? Why can't we tell it like it is....that racism is a big part of North America. That some blacks, including Rican ones have to let go of this injected color category and move on?
Old 29th September 2004, 08:02

santosda66
May I suggest...

"Tribal to me means only dealing with your own people. Not wanting to relate to others. You can be dress in a three-piece suit and still have a tribal mind. Your right since someone may take that term tribal the wrong way im going to edit that post."

Use the term "clannish": Inclined to cling together as a group and exclude outsiders.

Habe nun, ach! Philosophie,
Juristerei und Medizin
Und leider auch Theologie
Durchaus studiert mit heissem Bemuhn.
Da steh ich nun, ich armer Tor!
Und bin so klug als wie zuvor.

Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft die stets das Böse will, und stets das Gutte schaft.