Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Open Board > Open Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why do a lot of dark-skinned latinos hate black people?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th September 2004, 16:05

lashae
why do a lot of dark-skinned latinos hate black people? Can some answer that for me?
Old 24th September 2004, 17:04

santosda66
I think that people tend to form alliances using the most expedient criteria. People's cultural bonds (language,religion, social institutions, goals shared, etc.) may sometimes be stronger than those of race. To wit, there have been numerous wars between people of the same race, using the word "race" as it is commonly understood: thus white Europeans have been fighting each other for centuries, as have black Huttus and Tutsis, or yellow Chinese and Japanese.

The case you allude to might be a desire of the so-called "Latinos" to differentiate themselves by culture from those blacks who do not share their culture.

Cheers,

Habe nun, ach! Philosophie,
Juristerei und Medizin
Und leider auch Theologie
Durchaus studiert mit heissem Bemuhn.
Da steh ich nun, ich armer Tor!
Und bin so klug als wie zuvor.

Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft die stets das Böse will, und stets das Gutte schaft.
Old 24th September 2004, 20:41

JaneMas
Quote:
Originally posted by lashae
why do a lot of dark-skinned latinos hate black people? Can some answer that for me?
That question could be presented visa versa and still it's not clear enough to give an accurate response, so I'll guess at what the causes may be. I can try to give you some clarity on misunderstandings and misconceptions blacks in the states have about Spanish blacks.

I don't know if you recall the show "The Jeffersons?" Mr. Jefferson's son was dating a Jamaican girl. Her father was addressed by Mr. Jefferson as "Black." The Jamaican man, upset, responded, "I am not Black! I am Jamaican!" People who are raised with a sense of Nationalism, belonging to a country where color is not an issue, but rather a personal one and do not see color as a primary identity. Class and Nationality are main factors. When you bring up the word "Black" in english terms to a Spanish black person, you are presenting a culture unknown to him. You are referring to African Americans which is foreign to him. You are saying he has to adapt to your way of thinking, fighting, and living. The English American word "black" does not mean color to the Spanish African decendent. It means culture. A new way of life. And Blacks in the USA do not understand this.

You should of asked, "Why are blacks angry when Spanish blacks don't see themselves "AS BLACK?" Many Blacks in the US resent the Puerto Rican Black for not "acting" black. Why should he? What is acting Black? The Spanish black has a culture he clings to, enjoyed in unison by every shade and shared by all. So now that he's in the states should he stop being who he is? And become what? What you have is two different worlds of blackness. One clings to the freedom and equality he always had, while the other fights to gain it fully little by little in congress.

Here is one source of Black American misunderstanding written by Joseph Monserrat, former Director of the Migration Division of the Commonwealth of PR's Department of Labor in NYC and later President of the city's Board of Education:

On the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Puerto Ricans in the States:

One problem he sees is American racism, which he calls "inherent...a cultural trait"...

"No Puerto Rican in Puerto Rico need constantly remind himself that he is Puerto Rican. The New Puerto Rican, on the other hand, must almost literally remind himself every minute of the day....if he does not...there are many others who will not let him forget it...He has been raised in a setting where he is a minority, where he is indifferent, which in the reality of the United States has always meant to be "less than," i.e., inferior to others."

I'll add my own to that view:

What is new to this is that the other side of America "the Black population", also reminds him but differently. They tell him he is now a black man (if he is African decent). And so he is in the middle. On one end he is less than while on the other end he is suppose to be equal because of color, when he is NEITHER. He is, and will be, whatever he wants to be. Generations will change the self identity of a persons ethnicity, especially in a world where people are moving further and further away from their roots and/or constantly mixing. Does 1/4 make you 100% Rican or just 1/4? Are we unconciously following that bull**** one drop rule? What if you are 1/2 but live 100% African American...are you ethnically and culturally Rican? Blacks in the US are color concious while Spanish Blacks are concious of their ethnicity, not their race. Remember their is no such thing as race biologically. There is only one race and that is HUMAN. Once you let that old slave mentality go, you'll begin to live a better life, respect the differences of others, and enjoy the beauty of this multicultural world.

Hispanic Heritage Month!

Some famous multi-ethinic people of hispanic decent:

Alicia Keys
Reggie Martinez Jackson
Sammy Davis Jr.
Tatyana Ali
Gina Ravera
Mariah Carey
Kelis
Toya

[Edited by JaneMas on 25th September 2004 at 23:51]
Old 26th September 2004, 17:45

PhiDaWg61
Correction

I think you should rephrase your question to why do dark skinned latinos hate US Blacks instead.

Afro-latinos arent the only ones. Africans, Jamaicans (especially in Brooklyn) and many other non-US black people can't stand most US blacks and refer them as animals.

I personally believe it is because of the way the anglo has treated the US black. It can be argued that the US black has been the most oppressed of all people of the the African diaspora.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 26th September 2004, 21:20

JaneMas
Re: Correction

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiDaWg61
I think you should rephrase your question to why do dark skinned latinos hate US Blacks instead.

Afro-latinos arent the only ones. Africans, Jamaicans (especially in Brooklyn) and many other non-US black people can't stand most US blacks and refer them as animals.

I personally believe it is because of the way the anglo has treated the US black. It can be argued that the US black has been the most oppressed of all people of the the African diaspora.

Just my 2 cents.
Animals! That's a strong word. A horrible one. As a mother of a child who is part US Black (although his whole family looks white) I can tell you that is BS! I think that many Black US Americans still have this unhappiness about the way the are seen in this nation. It's the source of the anger directed at people who have nothing to do with it who get hammered and hammered by them. You know what I mean the spontaneous outburst. Hell I went through that in elementary, JH and HS. If not why all the talk about hating blacks and rican's don't want to be black, etc. I also recongnize many do not think this way, and those are the ones who live in peace with themselves and others.

In a country where white is beautiful, staight hair is better than kinky, it is hard to live peacefully with one's self. Hell it's hard to be labeled a minority when your not if you look at it ethnically. If everyone just rid themselves of this ghetto mentality, cause that's where they want you to be hating each other in the ghetto, maybe we all will stop talking about hate. Don't let them continue to beat you down! The difference between my kids' father's family and those who feel hated is education, providing them with the capacity to know that this is bull****. They were respected by their peers because they became their equal and in some cases superior. They didn't complain and complain and complain.

[Edited by JaneMas on 27th September 2004 at 12:39]
Old 27th September 2004, 10:00

Da_Realest
Quote:
Originally posted by JaneMas
Quote:
Originally posted by lashae
That question could be presented visa versa and still it's not clear enough to give an accurate response, so I'll guess at what the causes may be. I can try to give you some clarity on misunderstandings and misconceptions blacks in the states have about Spanish blacks.

I don't know if you recall the show "The Jeffersons?" Mr. Jefferson's son was dating a Jamaican girl. Her father was addressed by Mr. Jefferson as "Black." The Jamaican man, upset, responded, "I am not Black! I am Jamaican!" People who are raised with a sense of Nationalism, belonging to a country where color is not an issue, but rather a personal one and do not see color as a primary identity. Class and Nationality are main factors. When you bring up the word "Black" in english terms to a Spanish black person, you are presenting a culture unknown to him. You are referring to African Americans which is foreign to him. You are saying he has to adapt to your way of thinking, fighting, and living. The English American word "black" does not mean color to the Spanish African decendent. It means culture. A new way of life. And Blacks in the USA do not understand this.

You should of asked, "Why are blacks angry when Spanish blacks don't see themselves "AS BLACK?" Many Blacks in the US resent the Puerto Rican Black for not "acting" black. Why should he? What is acting Black? The Spanish black has a culture he clings to, enjoyed in unison by every shade and shared by all. So now that he's in the states should he stop being who he is? And become what? What you have is two different worlds of blackness. One clings to the freedom and equality he always had, while the other fights to gain it fully little by little in congress.

Here is one source of Black American misunderstanding written by Joseph Monserrat, former Director of the Migration Division of the Commonwealth of PR's Department of Labor in NYC and later President of the city's Board of Education:

On the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Puerto Ricans in the States:

One problem he sees is American racism, which he calls "inherent...a cultural trait"...

"No Puerto Rican in Puerto Rico need constantly remind himself that he is Puerto Rican. The New Puerto Rican, on the other hand, must almost literally remind himself every minute of the day....if he does not...there are many others who will not let him forget it...He has been raised in a setting where he is a minority, where he is indifferent, which in the reality of the United States has always meant to be "less than," i.e., inferior to others."

I'll add my own to that view:

What is new to this is that the other side of America "the Black population", also reminds him but differently. They tell him he is now a black man (if he is African decent). And so he is in the middle. On one end he is less than while on the other end he is suppose to be equal because of color, when he is NEITHER. He is, and will be, whatever he wants to be. Generations will change the self identity of a persons ethnicity, especially in a world where people are moving further and further away from their roots and/or constantly mixing. Does 1/4 make you 100% Rican or just 1/4? Are we unconciously following that bull**** one drop rule? What if you are 1/2 but live 100% African American...are you ethnically and culturally Rican? Blacks in the US are color concious while Spanish Blacks are concious of their ethnicity, not their race. Remember their is no such thing as race biologically. There is only one race and that is HUMAN. Once you let that old slave mentality go, you'll begin to live a better life, respect the differences of others, and enjoy the beauty of this multicultural world.

Hispanic Heritage Month!

Some famous multi-ethinic people of hispanic decent:

Alicia Keys
Reggie Martinez Jackson
Sammy Davis Jr.
Tatyana Ali
Gina Ravera
Mariah Carey
Kelis
Toya

[Edited by JaneMas on 25th September 2004 at 23:51]
Well this bit here explains a lot "This is not to say that there are no whites living and working in rural areas or in the “ghettoes”, because there are many, but this is to say that poor whites are treated differently than poor blacks. Cerruti was told by a Dominican: “Go to Bani; the most beautiful girls- white skin, straight black hair.” (Cerruti, 548) Bani is a rural town densely populated by white Dominicans, most likely descendents of Spanish farmers who owned slaves, but who now find themselves in poor conditions because agriculture has lost its market. For Cerruti to have been told this is as if a Dominican was showing off Spanish descendents as if they were a statue or historical landmark. Why not show off the sites where Dominicans put all their strength into making a living mining amber or rounding up cattle, for the sake of scarcely supporting themselves and their families? This seems to be something worthier of having pride in than physical attributes one was born with. In addition, another Dominican told Cerruti: “Of course everybody wants to move up. A black wants his children to marry less black. Whites don’t want to move down.” (Cerruti, 548) With this in mind, whites want to keep their white lineage and blacks want to lose their black lineage, and both groups can not be satiated. Although racism may seem to be a personal issue, in my visits to Dominican Republic I have noticed that there are no dark-skinned people working in the capital’s United Colors of Benetton store or in other western stores, because dark-skinned Dominicans do not encompass the Dominican ideal of beauty. For these people racism starts having repercussions. For one, it can mean that this dark-skinned person will have to quit school to sell pastries in the streets to only make in a whole day what s/he would have made in an hour in the previously mentioned store. It is the difference between school and an after-school job or a job that will take you nowhere in life. This established order of what is beautiful or ugly, what is right or proper, what is competent or incompetent, is disintegrating Dominican unity in a time when Dominicans need to get together to achieve the goal of uplifting their nation."

Lots of blacks want to move up. When in doubt I just turn to my 'No Longer Invisible:Afro Latin Americans Today', you should purchase a copy. It has illustrated pyramids of racial classes. The top of the pyramid is the blanco of course. Then below are the mestizos and mulattos, and at the bottom are the negros and Indios. There is an arrow pointing from the negro to the mulatto because that is where he's trying to get to. Then there is the Indio trying to get to Mestizo. Both of their intentions are to get as white as possible so that their children may have easier lives. If a mulatto keeps mixing with a mulatto they'll eventually look white. If a Mestizo keeps mixing with a Mestizo they'll eventually look white. So according to my observation, it's the society forcing them to change. Many people will argue that they just denounce the term 'black', but many of them denounce African ancestry all together. If one looks at it generally that's the nature of all humans. I'm sure some Jews tried hiding their heritage when Hitler was around, most people won't profess their heritage if it's extremely inconventient for them. That's why you see many U.S. born Afro-Latinos who claim to be black. In the U.S. it's so 'COOL' to be black, with the rappers, and the actors, and the athletes, they see blacks in positions that you don't see in Latin America so it makes them proud to be black whereas, those not U.S. born tend to not be so proud. Also, many black latinos learn black history in the U.S., something that I don't believe is taught in Latin America. There's still discrimination in the U.S. just like in Latin America, but in the U.S. their are more prominent blacks, more oppurtunity, so it allows them to face discrimination with PRIDE. And this is why people can't live as peacably as animals. People try to change for other people's approval. Whereas animals accept who they are, they hunt, or swim, or eat plants, or whatever destiny has assigned them to do, and they never change. We on the other hand...
Old 27th September 2004, 13:01

Rivera33
Response ABout All These Posts!

I agree with the reasons shown above. From what I see, American Blacks want other blacks to incorporate into their culture, language, music, etc. This is not going too work! Their real Hispanic friends (some) have assimilated into their culture and have estranged themselves from their own culture. A Black women recently told me that a black man she knew looked like a monkey! Some ignarant Anglos and Hispanics have used this language. Successful Blacks usually are treated differently by some blacks that I know! Hispanic Blacks I knew in the Air Force did not act different than the other non-black Puerto Ricans because of our culture.

I live in the Angle World and I don't hear intelligent non Hispanic whites saying bad things about blacks. I go to a little pub where Blacks, Anglos, and the few Puerto Ricans (me) treat each other with respect.

Basically, it is possible though to love everyone who is respectfull and have something in common with the other.
The bottom line is that God created us all! Let's keep working on this behaviour differences.