Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Open Board > Open Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Puerto Rico has Changed

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:05

L_F_Miranda
Thumbs down Puerto Rico has Changed

There was a time when Puerto Ricans were basically a social and companionable people, having a rich community life and basically respecting one another. Only the Folkloric Puerto Ricans, mostly those who live in the U.S., still believe we function this way.

In reality Puerto Ricans have changed dramatically in the last thirty years, and not necessarily for the better. We are increasingly living in social isolation from one another, an isolation that has led to political passivity, even in the face of current outrages like massive welfare dependency, rampant crime, vandalism, ecological damage to the island and growing income inequity. In fact we view dependency not as a stigma but as the art of not being "pendejos", taking advantage of what Gringos are willing to give us without too much trouble.

Isolation from one another has increased ten fold. Now-a-days people may pass one another in the street within intimate urban spaces, however many are so absorbed with their hand-held electronic devices that they scarcely register one another’s presence. Driving on the road has become a hazard as people talk on their cell phones, and heaven for bid you should point it out to them. You'll then recieve a barrage of insults and "Cafreías" that its better to let things be.

We've become so suspicious of anything that has to do with Thinking that the most watched program on TV is "La Comay", a histerical puppet that spills out all the "bochinches" that only have relevance to the absent minded or those only interested in the sales at Wal-Mart on the week-end.

Since the 60's Puerto Ricans have scattered out of the towns, which were once filled with social mingling in the Plazas and have scattered over the landscape in the process of suburbanization, spreading cement and garbage over a once verdant landscape.

The Puerto Rican dream, following on the foot steps of the “American Dream” — promulgated through advertising media — of owning a million electronic devices, a detached house, a lawn and the requisite one, two or more automobiles —has fostered the habit and acceptance of borrowing as a way of life. We're up to our necks in debt! But as one "come mierda" matron from the Lions club once told me, " Hay que vivir la vida y gozarla y no ser pendejos, aunque estemos hipotecados"

This in turn has led to the weight of personal debt that now dominates so many Puerto Ricans, and thus fuels our passivity and fear, a fear that has led us to vote overwhelmly for a Party that offers Statehood, the ultimate safe guard just in case the world collapses around us.

As the economic situation worsens, Puerto Ricans will rely more on the helping hand of Uncle Sam, and will continue to vote in record numbers for Statehood, "¿A quien le amarga un dulce?"

And if assimilation is the price, many are beginning to wonder if it's worse to loose McDonalds, Wal-Mart and a trip to Disney, and just grin and bear it.

Last edited by L_F_Miranda; 4th April 2009 at 08:00.
Old 4th April 2009, 10:00

tiana
Amazing

Reads like an American Tale!
Old 4th April 2009, 11:17
Super Moderator

TipoConSuerte
True

I very much appreciate this post because it is nothing short of the truth. Most notably, I've seen how the mindsets of many people in PR are geared to somehow obtain a pension so they will no longer have to "work" for a living. Over the past ten years, I have met with friends and family members who now receive a pension due to "el estrés," "los nervios," "los discos," "incapacidád," etc. It makes me wonder, "how is it that such able bodied men and women, with so much life left ahead of them, have concluded that an unproductive life is the ultimate goal of living?" What ever happened to acquiring a skill and doing one's job to the best of one's ability with great pride? What have these people accomplished when the sun goes down each day? These people no longer have the pleasure of facing a problem at work head on and coming up with a solution. When these people get old, they will have no remembrance of a career through which they raised their families.

Most of the people I know under this circumstance have so much free time on their hands that all they do is drink booze and hang out with others like themselves. My best friend joined this club several years ago. He recently asked me, "bro, when are you going to retire?" When I told him that it would be no less than 10 years from now, he was amazed and beside himself. His sarcastic response, "well, somebody has to work." I thought to myself, "sure, I will continue working so that you can live off my hard earned tax dollars."

I pray to God that there will come a day when everyone who receives a pension in Puerto RIco will be audited to see if there is any merit to their claim. I hope that everyone who does not merit a pension will be obligated to pay a restitution for all the money they falsely acquired from us...the hard working tax payers!!!
Old 5th April 2009, 08:33

malopr
Send a message via ICQ to malopr Send a message via Yahoo to malopr
wow

I am a Nuyorican now living in California with dreams of going to the Island. I have only visited the island once back in 1970. I was there in January, Caguas. I remember walikng around the plaza where music was playing and everyone was so friendly and besides that when someone approached me they would aren't you so and so son. That was like wow! It is sad to hear that it is os different now But I think it is the same in the mainland, even here in California people living on welfare and only thinking about getting some money without having to woek for it. The rich wanted to get richer by ripping off the middle class and the poor. That is why we are in a financila mess now .
But I still think that all puerto rico is a very special place
Old 5th April 2009, 09:13
Super Moderator

TipoConSuerte
Quote:
Originally Posted by malopr View Post
I am a Nuyorican now living in California with dreams of going to the Island. I have only visited the island once back in 1970. I was there in January, Caguas. I remember walikng around the plaza where music was playing and everyone was so friendly and besides that when someone approached me they would aren't you so and so son. That was like wow! It is sad to hear that it is os different now But I think it is the same in the mainland, even here in California people living on welfare and only thinking about getting some money without having to woek for it. The rich wanted to get richer by ripping off the middle class and the poor. That is why we are in a financila mess now .
But I still think that all puerto rico is a very special place

We should hang out someday! I'm a former Newyorican who currently lives in Southern California. Unlike you, I don't know one person out here who is on welfare. Everyone I know is working very hard to keep up with rising expenses or to just keep their job. Take care bro!

Old 5th April 2009, 17:20

Yujike
Old 6th April 2009, 08:31

L_F_Miranda
Tipo,

One thing is a pension that a person gets after working up teen years at about the age of 62, and another is the rip off of "EL DISABILITY." I think that's what you wrote about previously.

It is a well known fact on the island and the Latino ghetto's in the U.S. that "EL DISABILITY" is like hitting the lotto. One just has to get a doctor to write up a severe back pain ( one that can be cured easily with Ben Gay) or invent some story that Stress is affecting your functioning and/or your ability to work, and PRESTO, you've got a Social Security Disability check till you kick the bucket. On top of that, if you live on the island, you don't have to pay Federal taxes on it like they do in the states!

In addition many folks are also getting on another type of DISABILITY band wagon. If you can get a school psychologist to test your kid for learning disabilities you can also apply for SSI, if your kid fails the IQ test. You can coach any kid to fail an IQ test by just telling them to act dumb. This is already a racket among newly arrived immigrants from Santo Domingo and Mexico. Puerto Ricans have been on this band wagon since the 1990's.

Do they think they are screwing up their kids? NO! They rationalize:

"Todas las escuelas son buenas aun que sea educación especial. ¿Quien no quiere una clase de 10 estudiantes y dos maestros para sus hijos? Ademas los llevan y los traen en gua-guas especiales y uno no tiene que ir a buscarlos. Los pendejos son esos Chinos que no quieren educación especial para sus hijos."

In the mean time the chinese and Indian immigrants get ahead. Why? They do it the old fashioned way.
They crack the whip and put their kids to study and make do without SSI.

What do we do?

Let our kids watch televison, get dumb, and get obese. LOL