Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Open Board > Open Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WHY NON-LATINOS CAN'T DISTINGUISH THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEXICANS AND PUERTO RICANS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2001, 12:13
Super Moderator

Suki is on a distinguished road
Question

I WOULD LIKE SINCERE FEEDBACK OF WHY YOU THINK THAT NORTEAMERICANOS DON'T DISTINGUISH THE CULTURAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DIFFERENT LATIN AMERICAN CULTURAL GROUPS. PLEASE RESPOND.
Old 4th August 2001, 09:07

Santiago4Ever
Well pretty easy i think...

Suki, i think the reason is simply because every unique latin group does not always make it very obvious what those differences are , outside of the fact that our spanish is indeed different from Mexicans..(myself being of Cuban/Black heritage) ...i think problaby us Cubans and Ricans problaby are most similiar for the most part than any other group. I will say this ( and i dont want to offend anybody,but peoples conception of what an american Puerto Rican looks like is very distorted! They think most Puerto Ricans are indeed Mexican looking or white. The Caneles and Morenos are somewhat forgotten about . If you really think about it, the REAL islanders were much darker than what we are used to hearing about. I know for the most part most Americans know there are many blacks that inhibit the Carribean specifically but unfortunately most non-latinos never really experience the different shades of us Carribeans unless they were to go to a Cuban or Puerto Rican festival perhaps. The funny thing is that the festivals here in California....you will see a big proportion of Black islanders( Cuban and Puerto Ricans in particular...definetely more than most people are used to seeing just out on the street.
My next question is " Why is it just a comparison between Puerto Ricans and Mexicans"? Do you think that all Puerto Ricans look like Mexicans?? I hope not because you would be leaving out many of the Puerto Rican people!
Old 4th August 2001, 15:48

Patria_y_LaPava
Re: Well pretty easy i think...

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago4Ever
Suki, i think the reason is simply because every unique latin group does not always make it very obvious what those differences are , outside of the fact that our spanish is indeed different from Mexicans..(myself being of Cuban/Black heritage) ...i think problaby us Cubans and Ricans problaby are most similiar for the most part than any other group. I will say this ( and i dont want to offend anybody,but peoples conception of what an american Puerto Rican looks like is very distorted! They think most Puerto Ricans are indeed Mexican looking or white. The Caneles and Morenos are somewhat forgotten about . If you really think about it, the REAL islanders were much darker than what we are used to hearing about. I know for the most part most Americans know there are many blacks that inhibit the Carribean specifically but unfortunately most non-latinos never really experience the different shades of us Carribeans unless they were to go to a Cuban or Puerto Rican festival perhaps. The funny thing is that the festivals here in California....you will see a big proportion of Black islanders( Cuban and Puerto Ricans in particular...definetely more than most people are used to seeing just out on the street.
My next question is " Why is it just a comparison between Puerto Ricans and Mexicans"? Do you think that all Puerto Ricans look like Mexicans?? I hope not because you would be leaving out many of the Puerto Rican people!
You are absolutly right and there is a funny story in this too. When I went to my great Aunt house in Juncos (Thats in Puerto Rico) with my cousin who was visiting from Chicago, we saw that my aunt had a couple of freinds over, one many in particular look very very much Mexican but had very dark skin. My cousin immediatley after he was alone with my Great Aunt asked if he was Mexican and she stared at him and said, "Ofcourse not, hes 100% Puertorriqueno...what does a Mexican look like?" LOL, she had never seen a Mexican before except on TV soap operas that only contain the very very white green eyes red haired Mexicans that they have in PR also, never been to the USA or have not been to any neighborhood in a City that had some Mexicans in them, lol. How could Ricans be compared to looks to another people if some of them dont even know what they look like?
Old 12th August 2001, 13:56

1-2growon
Wink

I think people don't mean any disrespect, at least most don't. I can never tell. You have an AfroCuban, Black Puerto Rican, and an African American. They could all look alike. You just can never tell. If the AfroCuban and the black Puerto Rican spoke English with completely no accent they could very easily pass as an African American. Even some latinos are not sure what each other are. That is because of the racial diversity in us as people. I have seen many Puerto Ricans that look Mexican to me, many blacks that are half black and half white that look Puerto Rican. If I don't know I just ask, but it is not meaning any disrespect, just curiousity.

It's really amazing isn't it. LOL!!!
Old 12th August 2001, 14:51

LatinSoldier111
nope nope nope..

Some Ricans look Mexicans but aren't..Not alot of us look Mexican,us Ricans look more like the Tiano indians,the Tiano indians were the most beautiful Indians of all,i have to look on the net i seen it like 4months ago i was reading about it..
Ricans and Mexicans don't get along very much for some reason...
Im all Puerto Rican,i was born in the states but my mother and father were born in Puerto Rico..
LatinSoldier111,
Old 12th August 2001, 16:57

1-2growon
Smile

Latinsoldier,

As I have learned from various people and sources, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, and Cubans don't get along too well. It is so bad they would rather be in a room with a person that is not Latino than each other. The only thing these three groups stand together on is that they fall under one umbrella as Latinos, and sometimes you don't even agree on that. Sometimes Mexicans say that Puerto Ricans are not real Latinos...that's obserd....I guess we all have our share of problems.

It is hard to tell sometimes between you all externally, but there is no harm meant by it. I do agree Mexicans tend to have a different look normally from a Puerto Rican. I do tend to know the differences between the cultures though.
Old 14th August 2001, 12:00
Super Moderator

Suki is on a distinguished road
Talking In Response to Santiago4ever

I started this thread because I wanted a sincere response of why non-latinos could not distinguish the differences between different Latin American cultural groups. I guess I wanted an academic response. Instead I get a smart person like Santiago4ever who feels discriminated against by insecure Puerto Ricans who do not want to be considered the bottom of the social barrel, and believe what prejudiced white people say about African-Americans being considered less than White Americans (I hate all these labels). My message is that people who think that every Latin group is the same is WRONG, because they are invalidating our essential individuality and our species (homo sapiens sapiens)natural adaptations to differing circumstances (our need to adapt and vary) in order to thrive in differing realities {historical,geographic,social,biological,economic and religious}. We are all one species, one people on one planet, but we are different because our environments and social histories have adapted to different circumstances and our variety gives us strength. Unfortunately, humans especially ignorant humans love to create caste systems where some people have more rights and priveledges than others, (like a pyramid), and they need to justify their greed and their selfishness by any means necessary. I am better than you because I speak a more important language, I look prettier than you, I have more possessions than you and I have more opportunities to make a comfortable existence than you, therefore I am superior. I have come accross some European Americans who deep inside their psyche they believe this as natural law and truth. When you dissect it and look at this belief, it is silly and ignorant. It amazes me how many people live entire lives subtly manifesting false beliefs and creating pain and insecurity in others. Santiago4ever is a product of beautiful Africans who have lived in that ancient and interesting land for milennia, and from Mediteranneans who traveled the seas and developed their civilizations, and free and creative indian people who had strong and rich cultural lives. All came together to make him who he is now. All were necessary for him to become him. Why deny any of them, or try to cater to one group over another. Accept them all and be grateful to all.