Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Society > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roosevelt Roads

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th December 1999, 16:58

keeptrying
I read on the puertorico-herald.com web sight that a senator from Oklahoma is sponcering a bill that will shut down Roosevelt Roads Navel base if Viequez is closed. It said this will cost Puerto Rico $3 billion in lost revenue a year.
If the base is closed, will Puerto Rico still be important to the USA? In what ways?
Old 4th January 2000, 18:41

Lja
Hey keeptrying,
I urge you and everyone else to write, call or e-mail your representatives to let them know how you feel about the Roosevelt Roads bill. This is a clear example of the U.S. bullying PR into accepting continued target practice with live ammunition on Vieques. Even if they close Roosevelt Roads, PR will still be important to the U.S. because there are American investments in the island. The idea behind the bill is to make people believe that if the Navy cannot use Vieques, then Roosevelt Roads will no longer be useful to the U.S. military. Well Roosevelt Roads employs over 4,000 people--military and civilian.-This installation certainly has functioned as more than just an extension of the Naval Base at Vieques. Please let your representatives know how you feel about this issue. Peace, lja
Old 9th January 2000, 22:59

EL_BORICUA
Certain members of congress are using the threat of closing Roosevelt Roads as a leverage to get what they want in Vieques
I would rather see the base at Ceiba closed
than have the Navy drop one more bomb in
Vieques.
Old 20th January 2000, 15:04

CACIQUE
Puerto Rico seria importante acuerdate todo lo que invierten en industrias especialmente el tax break que cojen las industrias por estar en P.Rico. El observatorio en Arecibo. Y otros negocios que tienen los EEUU tambien mucha de la droga que va al EEUU viene por los canales de PR. Plus we also watching CUBA. YES They should stop the bombing of live ammo. The ammo is radioactive I know this I'm in the Military I fired some of them in Japan and they give us class on the contents. Alot of people were saying the cancer in Vieques was related to the sun. Well I have a friend who went to saudi and was part of the tank crew , and everybody in his crew is sick since the war and their records stays they were exposed to radioactivity over in the war, one of many. They should get out and come over here in this beautifull desert in the middle of nowhere in 29 palms they can shot all they want.

CACIQUE
BORICUA 100%

CACIQUE
100% boricua
Old 18th August 2001, 20:26

Patria_y_LaPava
Quote:
Originally posted by keeptrying
I read on the puertorico-herald.com web sight that a senator from Oklahoma is sponcering a bill that will shut down Roosevelt Roads Navel base if Viequez is closed. It said this will cost Puerto Rico $3 billion in lost revenue a year.
If the base is closed, will Puerto Rico still be important to the USA? In what ways?
I have heard that lame arguement before. I heard once it is $1 billion in revenue, then in another it is $300 million in revenue! What is it! Puerto Rico will not be directly important to the USA if these bases closed, but indirectly for their Capitalist economy. Puerto Ricans consume $19 billion a year in USA goods and also trades 10's of billions of $ with the USA a year and if a new tax excemption is issued for their foreign investment, then that will be more then $29 billion a year of the USA gaining indirectly for their companies!

Puerto Rico is worth a lot to USA coporations, but if we had more Puerto Rican based and created corporations, we would be consuming our own goods and helping our own people and more contrabutions to our own economy which would mean we would be self-sufficient and no longer dependent on the USA! That is something the PNP and many, not all, but many in the PPD dont want, but it will sooner or later happen because obviosuly USA Congress doesnt like this current relationship as much as it did before, it wants direct benefits and statehood would obviosuly suck at more of the rest of the states representatives and money and we couldnt contribute as much because of our current state and innifficiency! Isnt it ironic!
Old 19th August 2001, 01:52

Eddier1
Lightbulb What a Marine Commandant said about Vieques

[quote]Originally posted by CACIQUE
[b] Puerto Rico seria importante acuerdate todo lo que invierten en industrias especialmente el tax break que cojen las industrias por estar en P.Rico. El observatorio en Arecibo. Y otros negocios que tienen los EEUU tambien mucha de la droga que va al EEUU viene por los canales de PR. Plus we also watching CUBA. YES They should stop the bombing of live ammo. The ammo is radioactive I know this I'm in the Military I fired some of them in Japan and they give us class on the contents. Alot of people were saying the cancer in Vieques was related to the sun. Well I have a friend who went to saudi and was part of the tank crew , and everybody in his crew is sick since the war and their records stays they were exposed to radioactivity over in the war, one of many. They should get out and come over here in this beautifull desert in the middle of nowhere in 29 palms they can shot all they want.

CACIQUE
BORICUA 100%
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cacique;

A former Commandant of the Marine Corps, who had lots of experience with the actions of the U.S.Navy in Vieques, stated openly to the public, and to a Congressional fact-finding committee on the issue of Vieques as a target range, that in effect the U.S. Navy is spinning their wheels and wasting valuable time, money, and effort practicing obsolete amphibious landings in Vieques. He said further that the Marine Corps no longer plans on using such obsolete assault tactics, and had not done so for real since the Korean War. So there we have it right from one of the top warhorses of the Marine Corps.

Actually, by being dunderheads and insisting on continuing in Vieques, the U.S. Navy is really hurting national security by its actions. It is misleading not only the public in America and in Puerto Rico, but is also harming future war efforts by its use of such a SNAFU, i.e., SITUATION NORMAL ALL F***ED-UP.

Regards to you and all Boricuas,
EddieR