Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Society > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Urbanizaciónes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th February 2003, 19:15

Ecuajey
Question

What's your opinion on the so-called "urbanizaciónes" of Puerto Rico? Are they necessary? Do you think their locations should be better planned? Do you think that they have a positive impact on PR society and its environment or are they just a waste of land and is another way of segregating the PR social classes? You decide!

Urbanización de Toa Alta

Old 10th February 2003, 19:42

Stanley
What bothers me about "urbanizaciones" is the fact that they are all closed to traffic. The only way to get in is with a beeper to open the gate or if you are going to visit someone inside the community. On my last trip to PR I wanted to show my kids where I spent a great deal of my childhood and could not get into the street where I used to live. However, the less affluent urbanizaciones such as Puerto Nuevo are not closed to the public. As of now must new urbanizaciones are developed with the idea they are going to be closed. My sister lives in a urbanizacion surrounded by a wall just like old San Juan and only one entry with a security guard. I must say it does feel safe.

Los recuerdos suelen
Contarte mentiras

Stanley
Old 10th February 2003, 20:09

Ecuajey
Lightbulb Stanley

Yup, they're very safe, however, as you wrote, they're shut from general traffic, creating problems in cities and towns. That's why major streets and highways are even more congested, thus creating "ugly" cities with no real sense of community. In my families town of Juncos, they're building two urbanizaciónes (That I know of). One is right next to the property of my family who lived on that land for over 170 years. My aunt told me stories of her playing on that land in the lush surrounding forests, mountains and farm land. All that was destroyed to make way for homes that the majority of the surrounding population couldn't afford. The problems I have with urbanizaciónes in small towns are that they are mostly far from the town in the mountains or by highways, making having a car a necessity. They also are far away from main water and electric supplies, (Most of the time in the mountains they don't have an adequate water supply so they have to buy those big blue water "jugs" and put them on their roofs.) making it expensive to stretch them towards the urbanizaciónes. Also, the conformity of the homes reminds me of communist communess and also their expensiveness but limited space is appalling. The lack of carefulness in construction makes for much urban design mistakes. One of my cousins, who's a construction worker, (He didn't work on that particular project.) toured me and showed me all the construction mistakes made. I think Puerto Rico needs a thorough urban design plan, because the craziness that's its urban fabric is going to backfire soon.

Old 11th February 2003, 08:13

El_Jibaro
Talking Dear 20-something Ecuajey:

Do the following experiment:
  • Stop taking sexual advantage of the easy girls around you and marry a good Puerto Rican girl and settle down in Puerto Rico.
    • Upon getting married rent a two or three bedroom apartment in DOWNTOWN Mayaguez, or DOWNTOWN Ponce, or DOWNTOWN Caguas, or DOWNTOWN Santurce, or DOWNTOWN Barrio Obrero, or DOWNTOWN Rio Piedras
    • (it will cost an arm and a leg, but not as much as a house in a gated Development).
    Then give thanks to the "nice" crook that mugs you at gun point or at knife point and takes away your belongings in plain view in the middle of the day...

The rest of us married adults who rely on ourselves would rather raise our little children in gated Developments
(urbanizaciones cerradas; btw the plural is not accented.)
In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. He created everything there is. Nothing exists that he didn't make . - John 1:1-3
In Arabic click here: John 1:1-3

There is only one LORD - JESUS.

NEVER FORGET WHY WE FIGHT!

Manuel Alonso desde el jurutungo de Bairoa y PITIYANQUI de clavo pasao
Manuel Alonso: the "proud" Puerto Rican AMERICAN hillbilly in the Bairoa boonies
Old 11th February 2003, 15:58

Ecuajey
Quote:
Originally posted by El_Jibaro
Then give thanks to the "nice" crook that mugs you at gun point or at knife point and takes away your belongings in plain view in the middle of the day...The rest of us married adults who rely on ourselves would rather raise our little children in gated Developments urbanizaciones cerradas; btw the plural is not accented.)
Crime is high in Puerto Rico of course and there are positive sides in living in a gated community, like Stanely wrote. Security is important, however destroying great amounts of the environment to build over-priced small wannabe comunes in the middle of nowhere and close off traffic from the rest of the island doesn't seem to me to be the best solution for the islands problems, it only contributes to new ones. However, whether you choose to live in an urbanización (I didn't know you don't put accent marks on plural words in Spanish. Thanks, I learned something new so therefore I won't make the same mistake again. I appreciate it! ) is your choice. The last time I heard, the majority of the major crimes that take place in PR are mostly against other criminals, especially drug dealers. However, there are always petty theafs that aren't exclusive to only Puerto Rico. I've actually seen and experienced getting robbed in plain daylight near major streets...and these were middle-class neighborhoods in the USA!

Also, In the now completed urbanización near my family's homes, a man's home was robbed...so I guess you can't prevent the inevitable. Take care.

Old 11th February 2003, 16:46

Stanley
As you all know sticking those accents is not easy if one does noy have those codes in hand or if one is too busy to stop. Right now I don't have the codes, but anyway:

Urbanizacion is aguda and ends in "N", therefore accent is required

Urbanizaciones becomes a llana with an "S" ending by the addition o "es" and as per rule does not require accent. I rather write without the accents because it is faster. However in a Mac it is a little easier.

Los recuerdos suelen
Contarte mentiras

Stanley
Old 12th February 2003, 20:24

Ecuajey
Lightbulb

Yo estaba hablando con un amigo que vive en Aguas Buenas acerca del mismo tema y me dijo muchas cosas que son muy interesante. Me dijo que el gobierno de Puerto Rico se paga para conectar la electricidad y el agua de las urbanizaciónes al resto del pueblo y las centrales de eléctrica y del agua. También se paga hasta la calle principal que debe ser conectado con la urbanización o los residentes no van a ningún lugar, jaja. Además, no sé si es muy inteligente cuando uno vive en una urbanización donde, para construirla, deben destruir partes de la montaña. ¿Qué pasará cuando hay un huracán o otro disastre natural...no hay muchos árboles ni montaña para protectarla? Sí, el gobierno no puede hacer todo, pero cree que debe pagar para conectar su comunes comunistas con agua y electricidad, para pagar la calle principal y pagar para la ayuda del disastre? ¿Sabe que lo mismo gobierno ofrece los cortes del impuestes pues las corporaciones pueden construir esas urbanizaciones y los préstamos a los bancos que apoyan esas corporaciones y sus urbanizaciones?

Sí, el gobierno no puede hacer todo pero está haciendo mucho pues puede vivir en una urbanización. Si el gobierno no estaba haciendo esas cosas que vale mucho, pudieran usar ese dinero para pagar por la reducción del crimen del pueblo y pues no necesita vivir en un condominio o urbanización. jaja