Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Society > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Puerto Rico Public Housing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2003, 00:01
Former Member

LatinoPR
Well, let me just add another thought on this. You break poverty by wanting to educate your children. You persist in being on top of things and caring about where they are, who they hang out with and show that they are more important than having a good time. When I was living as a child in Puerto Rico, I walked around barefooted, my Mother got water from a fresh water well. We did not have electricity or in door plumping. We had very little, but we had faith in ourselves, our God, and in our family to make it through life. I, for one, have always believed that my life is my children. Unfortunately human beings like to be lazy. Many rather let things be and not fight. Many have attitudes of “I just do not care” I have family who live in “caserios” and also in parcelas. Many work hard to bring up their children to be good people. On an island that is so overpopulated and land getting very scarce, it is hard to implement a good plan to provide adequate housing for all.
Old 2nd April 2003, 00:18

Ecuajey
Thumbs up Nice anecdote

Quote:
Originally posted by LatinoPR
Well, let me just add another thought on this. You break poverty by wanting to educate your children
What happens when the parents aren't there for the children, which is the case for many Puerto Rican families? Does the children always loose out?

My grandmother lived in the same conditions as you did and so did her 13 brothers and sisters. She had her parents, both illiterate, and one cheating on his wife, getting drunk, and gambling the little income they had. She became the only one to go to College. The exact thing happened to my mother, aunts and uncles, but my mother didn't even graduate High School. The same for her older brother, but her younger brother has a M.A. degree in computers, and her sister has a B.A. in criminal justice and is persuing her M.A. in government. Parents play a huge part, but we have a society where different results come from similar situations. It seems that you break poverty from wanting to educate yourself. However, I've seen many with potential but too much laziness due to the fact that not only they didn't have parental role models, but their community failed them. How do you think educational success can become institutionalized, like it has in so many nations? (I know the gov't can't be a parent to all, but they play a huge role in our lives, especially in PR. I sure can't afford to go to private school, and nor can half the children in PR.)

Also, I agree, with an island with so little space and so much people, we can't have housing for everyone. However, what's so idiotic is that we have a gov't that created these crime infested housing projects, but at the same time, funds banks and projects that destroy valueble farm land in the middle of nowhere with semi-dense gated neighborhoods for the upper middle-class and rich. (urbanizaciones) I don't think these caseríos was smart urban planning nor does the gov't promote that. I think the main reason it's hard to implement a good plan, because the gov't doesn't really care for one.
Old 3rd April 2003, 05:08

J-Rod
Cool La gente del caserio...

El govierno did not create the "crime infested projects", the people that lives there DID. If they don't take responsibility for their actions, any where they go will become a "crime infested project". The first thing we have to do to control and eventually eradicate the problem, is to EDUCATE the people and hold them accountable. Playing the "blame game" will only make it worse. When the people get willing to better their community, and start working together towards that goal, there is no one that can stand on their way. The Projects can be a very good thing, but the residents are the ones responsible for making it a good thing, not the government...Saludos cordiales...JRod...
Old 4th April 2003, 20:29

Ecuajey
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Rod
The first thing we have to do to control and eventually eradicate the problem, is to EDUCATE the people and hold them accountable. The Projects can be a very good thing, but the residents are the ones responsible for making it a good thing, not the government.
You can't place hundreds of uneducated and poor people in one little space and expect the caseríos to be a safe, beautiful place. If the gov't saw it as their responsibility to create these dense projects full of the "forgotten" people of PR, then I think it should assume the responsibility of making sure that these neighborhoods will be safe by trying to break their cycle of poverty. Yes, yes, these people should be held accountable for their actions, however, how do you expect illiterate parents to teach their children to read and seek higher education when they have none of such values themselves?

There are always the strong who venture to better lives themselves, which has happen so often in my family, but the mass majority stay behind. Why? Is it because they're lazy, or is it because the system wasn't created to suit their needs, but the needs of others?

The gov't is responsible for an economic policy that's going to benefit the people, and it should since they were placed in power by the people. I can't control everything my neighbor does, but I can help myself and I will. However, the gov't is an entity that could bring the people together, something most average people can't. I don't believe in insane paternalism, but if you're going to force/lead people into one place, (Especially gov't owned) you might as well make sure they live well.