Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Society > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What the Bible says about Capital Punishment

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2000, 21:07

El_Jibaro
Genesis 9.6
"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man."

Romans 13.1-4
"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

1 Peter 4.15,16
"If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name."

------------------
Manuel Alonso
Old 23rd January 2000, 10:49

EL_BORICUA
MATTHEW 18 VERSE 21 TO 22:
THEN PETER APPROACHING ASKED HIM,
"LORD,IF MY BROTHER SINS AGAINST ME,HOW OFTEN
MUST I FORGIVE HIM? AS MANY AS SEVEN TIMES? JESUS ANSWERED"I SAY UNTO YOU,NOT SEVEN TIMES
BUT SEVENTY SEVEN TIMES".
JESUS CHRIST THE MAN HIMSELF SAID,THIS NOT
ST.PETE,NOT ST.PAUL AND IT"S NOT THE OLD LAW OF MOSES,YOU MUST GO TO THE REV.JIMMY JONES SCHOOL OF BIBLE STUDY.YOU SEE EL JUEBERO IS
A HYPOCRITE.

[This message has been edited by EL BORICUA (edited 23 January 2000).]
Old 23rd January 2000, 14:44

El_Jibaro
1 Timothy 1.8-10
"We know that the Law is good if one uses it properly. We also know that Law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers--and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine."

------------------
Manuel Alonso
Old 28th January 2000, 09:13

EL_BORICUA
DO YOU FOLLOW THE TEACHINGS OF CHRIST OR TIMOTHY?
BUT TIMOTHY DOES BRING UP A GOOD POINT WHEN HE STATES THAT THE LAW IS GOOD WHEN USED PROPERLY,THE DEATH PENALTY IS NOT A PROPER
USE OF LAW,ONLY THOSE WHO CANNOT AFFORD THE
A PROPER DEFENCE WILL BE EXECUTED.
SO "EL JUEBERO" YOUR SORT OF CHRISTIANITY
IS OUT OF TOUCH JUST LIKE ALL YOUR BELIEFS.
Old 28th January 2000, 11:49

El_Criollo
Jíbaro:

Don't waste your time with Boricuba, remember: "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

Jíbaro, Boricuba here doesn't know who Timothy is or who wrote 1 Timothy 1:8-10. Boricuba is one of those decribed by the Apostle Peter in his Second Letter, when he writes about those who read the letters writen by the Apostle Paul: "His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction." 2 Peter 3:16

Boricuba also ignores that Jesus himself gave the death penalty: <<And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.">> Matthew 18:3-6

Finally Jíbaro, Boricuba ignores a Fundamental Truth of Christianity, that there is life after death, that there will be a Reward for those who follow Jesus and there will be Punishment for those who reject Him: "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

------------------
desde_el_Jurutungo_de_Bairoa
Old 28th January 2000, 16:08

Carlos_Marrero
THIS PASSAGE DOES NOT AUTHORIZE THE STATE TO TAKE THE LIVES OF CITIZENS THAT HAVE VIOLATED ITS LAWS. It merely describes how "terrifying" it is to face the wrath of God by stating that it is far worse than the situation depicted. That situation is of one dying a painful and violent death, at the hands of others or at the hands of oneself-it could be suicide that is being invoked, because the quality of the event is the point, not its source or legitimacy. Read closely...

"But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.">> Matthew 18:3-6
"

PERMISSION FOR CAPITAL PUNISHMENT NOT GRANTED IN THIS STATEMENT FOLKS. KEEP LOOKING. YOU ARE FOREWARNED THAT THE ASSORTMENT OF WRITTERS THAT PUT THE BIBLE TOGETHER ARE NOT ANY MORE IN AGREEMENT THAN WE ARE TODAY ON THIS ISSUE. SO, SCRIPTURE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO PROVIDE US WITH A SOLUTION, AND IN SECULAR SOCIETY IT CERTAINLY CANNOT DO SO.

I do remember Jesus stating, however, that LAW was made for MAN, and not MAN for the LAW. This means that we should not be uncritical and mindless when it comes to our approach to the "man-made" conventions that we call LAW.

I also remember Jesus emphasizing the superiority of "forgiveness" over "vengence" and "retaliation"---although, restitution for ones offenses is still in order, folks. The state does have the right to exact from us a price for our offenses, but our lives may very not be a recourse for doing so.

I also remember him rescuing a woman from a mob that intended to stone her for her adultery-penalty which in those days was deemed "leagally" and "morally" proper. He did insist that she adhere to good practices, but he implicitly placed LIFE over LAW, and denied that mob the right to take that life. This implicitly at the very least makes that penalty questionable, even while it does not call the law into question. Unlawfulness may not warrant death by human hands so far as the good book is concerned.

Oh... But if you're free of guilt, please do cast the first stone. Maybe this is His way of telling us that a "sinful" and "falible" race does not have God's permission to execute his creatures on his behalf. Even if they are known to be guilty, the issue is not their guilt, its your right to exact such a high and final price from offenders. Its simply not your place. Find something else to do, and don't usurp the place of God.

As for the Old Testament, there are some pretty remarkable shows of "mercy" there too. If I recall correctly, there even was a whole city, at one point, designated as "refuge" for lawbreakers--if you made it there in time, no one had the right to touch you within its borders. And who can forget God's rescue of Ismael and his mother.

I'm really not the one to make this anti-Capital-Punishment agrument from a scriptural perspective. I think of this matter as a "human" affair that we need to resolve here and now, with or without heavenly help.

As for myself, I won't be the one making injections or pulling the power switches or releasing the lethal gases, and I hope you never have to live with doing so. And God forbid we should make a mistake and kill one of His innocent ones... That could bring on a wrath of a very different sort, I would hope.

Death is final. How does a people grant its governemt bureaucracy the opportunity and right to take the lives of people that may actually be innocent? That could be your mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter. Such an imperfect human institution should not be invested with such power.

------------------
A map of the world that does not
include Utopia is not worth even glancing at, for it leaves out the
one country at which Humanity is always landing. And when Humanity
lands there, it looks out, and, seeing a better country, sets sail.
Progress is the realisation of Utopias.
OSCAR WILDE

[This message has been edited by Carlos.Marrero (edited 28 January 2000).]
Old 28th January 2000, 16:37

EL_BORICUA
EL CRIHOYO WRITES FROM A JERSEY TOXIC DUMP
TO DEFEND HIS FELLOW WASTE HEAD EL JUEBERO
FIRST OF ALL TIMOTHY,WHOM PAUL CONVERTED TO
CHRISTIANITY WAS HALF JEW,HALF GENTILE WAS A
COMPANION TO PAUL,AND WAS ADMINISTRATOR OF THE EPHESIAN COMMUNITY.
REMEMBER LUKE 6:27,28 "BUT TO YOU WHO HEAR I
SAY,LOVE YOUR ENEMIES,DO GOOD TO THOSE WHO
HATE YOU,BLESS THOSE WHO CURSE YOU,PRAY FOR
THOSE WHO MISTREAT YOU".
HE ALSO STATED IN LUKE 6:37"STOP JUDGING AND
YOU WILL NOT BE JUDGED.STOP CONDEMNING AND
YOU WILL NOT BE CONDEMNED.FORGIVE AND YOU WILL BE FORGIVEN.
SO IF THEY HAVE BIBLES IN YOUR "JURUTUNGO"
READ IT.