Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Society > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Did you know the Congress said no to State hood?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th March 2000, 21:25

Mike_Coordero
Send a message via ICQ to Mike_Coordero
Cool

Now, I know I read this some place but I was surprise to hear it from someone who is going to law school that congress had vote no to statehood. If this is so, why is the statehood party still fighting for this? If they say no to statehood than they have to give us our freedom, right? Maybe they still waiting for PR to vote on it. What do you think?
Old 16th March 2000, 01:46

la_nena_2001
Talking

I am a law student my self and I have to say that you might be right. Congress is probably waiting for the poeples choice, but you nkow what the problem is ? Its not that that they are voting against statehood, remeber that they are giving P.R. two choices either give them their freedom or incorporate them as the satate 51. The funny thing about all this is that this negative vote from the Congress that you are talking about is not about denying statehood is about refusing to do something that is no unanimus by the puertorricans and all this thanks to the brainwasherers that P.R. has as politicians. Remember that the last "plebicito" where everybody had their own way to understand the results and everybody was a winner, is a living proof of what I am saying. When Rosello went to the Congress he was no denyied satehood because the congress decide to, it was because the results were not clear or actually incoclusive. Do some reaserch for the next time.......
Old 16th March 2000, 05:01

Mike_Coordero
Cool

You might be right in some points but a vote of no is a vote of no to statehood no matter how you put it and this came from one of your follow law student and this person is not even PR. Is like a smack in the face not to me only but to OUR people. If this don't get you angry than I don't know what would AND I donít believe in statehood to begin with. Another thing I forgot to say was that the law student told me that US is really exploiting PR. Because PR are drafted to war but can't vote for the President and don't have all the rights of the 50 states. If we don't have this rights than US don't have the right to drafted us to any wars. So like I said before US don't give you nothing for nothing. We have all ready pay in blood for our citizenship. The law student also told me that by law US can't take away our citizenship and second because we have all ready pay for it. And how have we pay for it? PR has fought in every war since 1900. This includes World I, World II and etc. If our people could understand this they would vote for a free PR and I believe it they would do this in the future. Come on, is more than 100 years and PRico still say no to statehood.
Old 17th March 2000, 04:03

Mike_Coordero
Cool

Well, I am surprise that those the believe in statehood are not giving there point of views. What happen?
Old 17th March 2000, 07:18

El_Criollo
Wink

Why waste our time with a guy who is full of himself?

------------------
desde_el_Jurutungo_de_Bairoa
Old 17th March 2000, 09:36

Poncepr68
Talking

Mike,

Here you are at it again, inventing another story to see what does everyone think, see that is what I talk about you independentista, you have no self control.
you need to see what the fellow man/women says to make your decision.

The law student that answered back to your topic is correct, congress voted no that is very true, but the basis for there vote negative for statehood was do to the fact that statehood in Puerto Rico was not resolved here at the motherland. This is what I have been trying to talk to you and the so called Boricua... you have been so long living in the states that you would not see the truth even if it was dead in your face. Remember in mid 80's we had a referendum concerning our status. what was the outcome? was it not 53% no to statehood and 47% statehood. Now in the early to mid 90's we went back to the polls and the outcome was very different we had still 51% no to statehood and 49% statehood, funny thing was that congress came to the question of how many was really voting no to statehood and how many were voting for "ELA" and how many voted for independance, si that is the question that always comes up at the end how many will really go to separate for the union and how many will choose to remain inside the union. I have always said that I would love for P.R. to be independent but I am a realist and this can not be for a long while.
Old 17th March 2000, 12:21

EL_BORICUA
Talking

LENNY,MIKE,CRIOLLO,
HAPPY ST.PAT'S,WELL LENNY AS YOU MUST ALREADY
KNOW THE E.L.A. IS DYING WHAT ELSE CAN YOU GET OUT OF IT?NOTHING,ITS DONE AND OUT OF TOUCH,STATEHOOD YOU ASK?IT WILL NOT HAPPEN,
SADLY IT WILL TAKE THE OFFICIAL REQUEST BEING
DENIED BY CONGRESS,PUERTO RICO IS A COUNTRY
IN ITS OWN RIGHT,WE HAVE OUR OWN CULTURE,OUR
OWN HISTORY,AND OUR OWN LANGUAGE,AND ITS NOT
AMERICAN,ITS PUERTORICAN.
TWO NATIONS UNDER GOD,THAT WONT WORK IT WILL
DIVIDE US NOT UNITE US.
WE HAVE BEEN SPOON FEED FROM BIRTH WE CANT
MAKE WITHOUT THE U.S.,LUIS MUNOZ MARIN VOWED
AFTER HE ACHIEVED E.L.A. 1952 THAT HE ELIMINATE ALL INDEPENDENTISTAS BY 1960,
WE NOW KNOW ABOUT "EL CARPETEO" OF THOSE THAT
DID NOT SHARE HIS IDEALS,THIS ALMOST WORKED
BUT THE FIRE CONTINUES TO BURN,WE HAVE SEEN
RIGHT HERE IN THIS FORUM,HOW WE PUT OURSELVES
DOWN,MANY OF US MAKE IT SOUND THAT ANYTHING
"SOUTH OF THE BORDER" IS NO GOOD,THAT WE LATINOS CANNOT GOVERN OURSELVES,THIS IS NOT TRUE,LA REPUBLICA DE PUERTO RICO WILL COME
AND THE TIME IS NEAR,INDEPENDENCE IS THE BEST
SOLUTION FOR PUERTO RICO AND THE U.S.A.