Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Society > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CAN THIS BE FIXED?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th October 2000, 14:58

Italia_Lena
Send a message via AIM to Italia_Lena
Question

Hello to all of you STRONG minded politicians on this forum !!!!!!!!!!

I was just wondering, in reading many of the posts under "Politics" it seems to me (please realize this is MY opinion) that there are so called "hard" feelings about the United States Government as opposed to the Puerto Rican one. I will have to agree that the U.S. Gov. does some "shady" things to its' people !!

I guess my question to anyone who is interested is what do you personally feel needs to be done to "CHANGE" the attitude of the Puerto Rican people towards the USA. When I refer to the "Puerto Rican People" I am speaking of the majority. Please let me know what you think!

Old 6th October 2000, 08:44

Bori331
Talking

Italia:

For a start the U.S. should formally give an apology to the Puerto Rican people for invading our shores in 1898 the way they did with Hawaii. On Nov.23,1993 President Clinton signed into law ,the apology resolution in which the U.S. confessed to it's invasion of Hawaii and participating of the overthrow of the Hawaiian monorchy! This apolgy should be broadcasted all over the U.S and in Puerto Rico, translated in Spanish, so that the People of Puerto Rico know the truth behind our colonial past and present and how we were taken by force; it's time to let the skeletons out and take the American and Puerto Rican people out the dark !!
Old 6th October 2000, 09:29

El_Jibaro
Smile

Italia:

Only a tiny minority [3.8%] of Puerto Ricans regret the USA for taking over our Island. However, in the last 100 years our STANDARD OF LIVING is the highest in all of the Hispanic world [excluding Spain, who got rich from exploiting us and the rest of Latin America in the first place]. Our Standard of Living is only second to the 50 States and perhaps Canada. Countries like Chile, Argentina and Venezuela do have high GDP's and per-capita incomes, but wealth is not so evenly spread in those nations as in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico in this matter is like the USA, where the Middle Class is BIG .

Why should the USA apollogize for making us the richest Island in the Caribbean? We don't have oil [not yet], and we don't have gold or diamonds, yet we have the best health care in the Caribbean and our People even get to be 101 years old. And if we have high crime, you got to see the rest of Latin America; we are the tamest of all the Hispanic Nations combined. If some clown here comes to you and mentions Costa Rica tell him/her that Costa Rica has six times the land of Puerto Rico and half of the Gross Domestic Product of Puerto Rico, while both have the same amount of people.

Costa Rica:
Land area = 50,660 sq km
GDP= $26 billion
Population = 3,710,558
Average Income = $7,100
Inflation rate = 10.8%

Puerto Rico:
Land area = 8,959 sq km
GDP= $38.1 billion
Population = 3,915,798
Average Income = $9,800
Inflation rate = 5.2%

------------------
Manuel Alonso
Old 6th October 2000, 10:27

Italia_Lena
Arrow

Thanking both of you for the insight you have contributed I would like to ask Bori331 a question.

Do you feel that a Nationwide Broadcast such as this that you have mentioned, would make Puerto Ricans (the 3.8% that Manuel refers to) IN Puerto Rico happy?

Or, do you think the majority of them would be NON RECEPTIVE to such an apology over something that happened so so long ago ????

I look forward to you reply!

Thank You

Italiana
Old 6th October 2000, 12:15

El_Jibaro
Lightbulb

Italia:

The 3.8%, which are INDEPENDENTISTAS [pro-independence supporters] would LOVE to see the USA apologize. That would be the greatest way to push their pro-independence ideal, by having the "Geat USA" bend its knees and kiss their tiny 3.8% glutei. You have 96.2% of the Puerto Rican population voting in every election that they want to remain tied to the United States, and if the USA comes now and says officially that it is SORRY for taking over our "country" would send a CHILLING MESSAGE, a message with no words but as clear as a message could be, that the USA doesn't acknowledge Puerto Rico as part of the USA: in other words it would be like saying WE DON'T WANT YOU. It is like two people living together for many years and one of them now saying: "I am sorry for making you live with me". Get it?

I don't know about you, but 3.8% of the people should not be the reason for making the rest 96.2% suffer .

Think about it in these terms: the rest of Latin America would love to be part of the USA. Hundreds of thousands of people come illegally into the USA just to work and live, and yet WE Puerto Ricans born in Puerto Rico are BORN American Citizens, four million of us.

In Colombia alone hundreds of thousands of people are killed each day by either the Communist Guerrillas, the Drug Mafia or Right Wing Death Squads.

Honey, this is not an issue of Dollars, it is an issue of Life, Liberty, Justice and the Right to Pursue Happiness. This money alone is not enough to buy. For example, I am Pentecostal, and in the Mexican countryside this means a DEATH WARRANT [Mexican peasants can hack you with their machetes for being a Protestant]. Even Religious Liberty is at stake here, guaranteed by being part of the USA.

------------------
Manuel Alonso
Old 6th October 2000, 12:55

Bori331
Talking

Manny, Manny, Manny ,

always jumping in and trying to throw a monkey wrench whenever truth is spoken ! PR has contributed to it's own ecomony greatly so don't jump the gun, and thank the U.S. Remember it was P.R who gave American corporations tax breaks therefore contributing to the U.S's economy !
Old 6th October 2000, 12:56

Italia_Lena
Question

Manuel:

What are the chances of this APOLOGY taking place?

Italiana