Go Back   Puerto Rico Discussion Forum > Society > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gringa and Angela

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th October 2000, 13:51

jsm
Talking

G and A:

From the October 10 San Francisco Chronicle the article helps explain why the US military is not welcome in most places, not just PR.

Written by Chalmers Johnson, Univ. of Calif. professor who served as a CIA/US military advisor during Vietnam. Excerpts follow:

"When might makes wrong"
The American people believe thier role in the world is virtuous-their actions being for the good of others as well as themselves...But evidence is building that in the past decade, the US has seriously misread the nature of the world and its role in it...it has resorted to bluster military force and financial manipulation..official and unoffical US representatives have acted often in covert ways to prop up repressive regimes or their militaries and police forces...most of them American trained and endorsed, like those of El Salvador, Argentina, Chile, Honduras, Guatemala, Burma, and Indonesia in the 1980s and 90s.....in Okinawa, an island prefecture of Japan that is also the site of 39 American military bases...Anti-American revolt has been endemic there ever since Okinawa's reversion to Japanese soveriegnity in 1972, which produced no change in the American presence...they are continuously exposed to the rape of Okinawan women and teenagers by American Marines and sailors, environmental pollution, noise pollution and the Pentagon's arrogant presumption that people it has colonized and victimized for the past 55 years welcome its presence... Early on the morning of July 3, a drunken Marine broke into a private home and groped a 14 year old girl as she was sleeping. Only a few days earlier, a group of drunken Marines got into a fight with a taxi driver as a ploy to help one of their mates from having to pay...on July 10 a drunken airman ran a red light, hit an Okinawan pedestrian and sped from the scene. To mark President Clinton's arrival 25,000 Okinawans joined hands to form a human chain around the US Kadena air force base...that's what the Okinawans want the US to do-get their bases out now..."

Jorge
Old 11th October 2000, 15:56

Eddier1
Smile

[quote]Originally posted by jsm:
[b]G and A:

>>From the October 10 San Francisco Chronicle the article helps explain why the US military is not welcome in most places, not just PR.

Written by Chalmers Johnson, Univ. of Calif. professor who served as a CIA/US military advisor during Vietnam. Excerpts follow:

"When might makes wrong"<<

Jorge, thanks for taking the time to post this authoritative and eye-opening post, which I hadn't had the chance to read until now.

Regards,
Eddier #1

Old 11th October 2000, 17:13

Poncepr68
Talking

JSM,

I read your post and I must say that yes things things have happened regretfully not always did the U.S. take the stand to punish these individuals but now they are dealt with severely and that I do not see in your post. Another thing that many people fail to see that even thought, in the U.S. military today we may have some irresponsible individual in service we do have many that serve with grace and honor by helping the communities where they serve and that my friend is fact and too many times this act of honor fails to reach the press.
Old 13th October 2000, 15:46

jsm
Talking

Lenny:

I agree most service people behave well.
The article does not mention if nor how the criminals were punished.

However, that is not the point of the article. The point is US military policy is dated. It is still in the cold war era. Deploying a vast military around the world when it is no longer necessary. With bases in countries that no longer welcome them.

That the American view of itself as world protector is no longer shared by the rest of the world. He argues continuing such a visible military presence is antagonizing the rest of the world. Ultimately he fears it cause much of the world to be against us

Jorge
Old 13th October 2000, 21:07

Leticia_g is on a distinguished road
Talking

I have read that many military men have been court marshal because of their behavior. I am glad that they are doing this because we really don't need to hear this about the US military. Like Lenny said there are many more fine soldiers than rotten ones however the news media just loves to cover what they know would sell.
Old 13th October 2000, 21:13

Poncepr68
Talking

Jorge,

That may be so but when things go wrong it is these very countries that show hate towards us that call us for help. You see we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Imagine we close the majority of the bases around the world, would it be safe if we then need to deploy our troops when the same countries beg us for help? I do not say that it is right or wrong what I say is there is more than meets the eye. Like Leticia said the media says what the people what to hear.
Old 16th October 2000, 19:06

jsm
Talking

L&L:

The Chronicle is a very liberal political newspaper, in a very liberal town so you may have a point.

Jorge