Old 25th June 2004, 01:26

TonyPunjeta
Thumbs up

Prospect Profile:

Peter John Ramos

Full Name: Peter John Ramos Fuentes
Position: Center
Height/Weight: 7-3 / 275
Birthdate: May 23, 1985 (Fajardo, Puerto Rico)

Early entry candidate for the 2004 NBA Draft. Born in Puerto Rico, but spent most of his childhood in New York, where he moved at the age of five. When he was 14 years old, he was spotted at a Brooklyn big-and-tall store by a former BSN (Superior Basketball League) player, who promptly phoned Caguas owner Felix Rivera. Rivera flew to New York and offered the teenage near seven-footer a contract on the spot, despite having never seen him play.
Career Highlights: Began his career with Criollos de Caguas in Puerto Rico in 2000-01 and has been playing there ever since. Competed at the 2003 World Championships for Junior Men with the Puerto Rican Junior National Team, averaging 11.0 points and 11.5 rebounds in the competition. Tallied 17 points, 21 rebounds and five blocks against Turkey and 22 points and 14 rebounds in a head-to-head match-up with 6-11 tournament MVP Andrew Bogut of Australia. Also participated in the 2003 Global Games in Dallas, where he averaged 12.8 points and 5.4 rebounds, and in the 2003 Pan American Games, where he helped Puerto Rico capture a bronze medal.

2003-04: In his fourth season in the BSN (Superior Basketball League) with Caguas, was among the leaders in the league in scoring (20.5), rebounding (9.5) and blocked shots per game (2.4).

2002-03: Earned the BSNís Most Improved Player award this season. Averaged 12.2 points and 8.6 rebounds on the campaign.

2001-02: Saw spot duty in 23 contests for Caguas, contributing 2.4 points and 2.6 rebounds. Also appeared in the Puerto Rican Under-21 All Star Game.

2000-01: Received sparse playing time in his first season in the BSN at the age of 14. Averaged 1.2 points and 1.8 rebounds over five appearances.

Strengths: Has shown tremendous growth in the short time he has played basketball. Has held his own against quality opponents in international competition and domestic league play.

Personal: Distant relative of Ramon Ramos, who was involved in a near fatal automobile accident days before he was to debut with the Portland Trail Blazers.
Old 25th June 2004, 07:04

Waneko
Correction

Jose 'Piculin' Ortiz was the first Puerto Rican to be drafted in the NBA.

I like Peter John Ramos' chances. He is young, has a body that is going to fill out, and already has some skills that can allow him to make it in the league. Some reports question his desire to play hard all the time, but I wonder if that is more about his age (18) and that is something that can change.

By the way, I like our chances in this summer's olympics. Puerto Rico never gets any respect or publicity from the media (I wonder why?), but we've quietly become one of the top basketball teams in the world. I think we will win a medal this summer.
Old 25th June 2004, 15:55

TonyPunjeta
Sorry for the lack of Knowledge, but Thanks alot

Thank you for the Correction, Where can i find Information about Jose Ortiz?
Old 8th August 2004, 06:05

jazmeliscris
first puertorican drafted to N BA

I N OT SURE ABOUT WHO WAS THE FIRST PUERTORICAN
DRAFTED NTO THE NBA BUT IN THE SEVENTIES ,RUBEN RODRIGUEZ,
RUBEN MONTANEZ,WERE DRAFTED BUT THEY DONT SIGN BECAUSE THEY
WANT TO CONTINUE AMATEUR,BUTCH LEE BORN IN PUERTO RICO,BUT
HE NOT FEEL AS A PUERTO RICAN SIGN AND PLAY IN THE NBA
Old 15th October 2005, 14:42
Delgado22

Butch Lee was born in PR and after being drafted by the Atlanta Hawks in the 1978 Draft and playing a couple of injury-riddled years, he moved back to PR to coach in the professional league there. I believe he is coaching in Mayaguez.

Look it up. He was the first DRAFTED player. The older guy played first, but I do not think he was drafted.
Old 15th October 2005, 14:44
Delgado22

Peter John played a bit last year for the Washington Wizards and figures to be a top backup for Brendan Haywood again this year. Coach Eddie Jordan uses his entire bench throughout the year and Peter John averaged some 4 PPG last year. Not bad. Live body and agile. Actually, Haywood is only marginally better than Ramos. He's just been in the league longer and a little better acclimated to the NBA game.

Give Peter John a couple of years, he might crack someone's starting lineup.
Old 15th October 2005, 19:59

s3xy is on a distinguished road
Ramos is awesome, I saw him in person, he's a giant, and moves like a cat, very atheletic, he has a 15-18 foot jumpshot, a baby hook shot, and a good post game

His cons are his rebounding and defense, he fouls guys too much.

He's also a GREAT passer, Sabonis like but, he needs to be smarter

He just started playing basketball in 2000, and he's already in the NBA! amazing!, He has alot of potential and talent, he just need to fix his head together.