Black Puerto Ricans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Puerto Ricans

Our culture is a blend of Spanish, Taino and African. However, as Puerto Ricans we often like to ignore the African aspect of our culture. MundoAfrolatino.com is a website dedicated to that side of our heritage. It contains information on Afro-Boricua music, arts, museums and history. The URL is:

http://www.mundoafrolatino.com

Do come with an open mind to learn and celebrate this important element of who we are.

Tremendo!

Gracias! Yo soy un Jincho..pero tengo mi sangre mexclada con Negra y Taina! Gracias un monton!

Comment

Just joined the site, in an effort to learn more about my Puerto Rican culture...

Anyway,- I definitly agree with what you said, many Puerto Ricans and hispanics in general [especially the ones living in the U.S.A] deny any African heritage, but are quick to say that Puerto Rican's have european blood...

Comment

Tremendo website, como dijo la legenda

"Y tu abuela a donde esta"

Comment

Great stuff...

I wish more people would realize that we exist... and not discount us based on what they would like to believe... And start dealing with the facts.

Comment

My Mother is light and my Father is dark, they are the best people I know. They are my parents. Peace
            Hospitality is always about serving others.

Comment

TIENES RAZON. YO VEO PUERTORRIQUEñOS QUE SACAN PASAJE PARA ESPAñA SOLO PARA VER DE DONDE SE ORIGINO SU APELLIDO Y RAICES, PERO NUNCA E CONOCIDO UN BORICUA QUE DIGA VOY PARA AFRICA A CONOCER MIS RAICES. YO HICE UN PROJECTO EN LA ESCUELA DE LA CULTURA AFRICAN EN PUERTO RICO Y ES MUY INTERESANTE. NUESTRAS RAICES VIENEN DE LOS AFRICANOS DEL OESTE DE AFRICA. A TODO EL MUNDO LE GUSTO LA INFO, BUENO COMO QUE SAQUE UNA A+

Comment

I also joined to connect with my Puerto Rican Heritage. I was glad to see a site come up when I did a google search for "Black Puerto Ricans". My Mom is Puerto Rican and my father is African American. When growing up in Brooklyn and Queens, NY ,Blacks and Puerto Ricans got along. It still seems that way today. I aksed my mom how it is in Puerto Rico and she told me, Puerto Ricans consider themselves all Puerto Rican regardless of skin color. I like that, and cant wait to visit mi familia there.

Lastly I would like to say, growing up I had a few Puerto Rican Girlfriends, and they were the Most Beautiful. To this day I hardly ever see an ugly Puerto Rican women.

Comment

I myself joined to connect with my Puerto Rican hertiage and it is cool to know the different hertiages of my people

Comment

i feel u boricua-morena

my pops is puerto rican, grandma puerto rican grandfather puerto rican mom black so i consider myself a black rican who understands the culture and reps all day every day.
                    but the problem with this is people don't know unless i tell them or they figure out from someone else, because i am brwn complexion and i don't have a spanish last name and i don't hardly ever speak spanish unless i have to or someone want's to carry a conversation. , but i ignore this because i know what i am and thats all that matters. even thought i try to learn spanish the chance i get i don't feel that a name or being able to speak spanish fleuntly makes u spanish, because i knew a lot of people who could not speak spanish and the majority of them are fully spanish like my mom's friend someone tried to speak spanish to him and he didn't understand what the person was saying.
                    so to me that seems like the perfect sterotype. but anyways i stay true to myself and don't listen to what people say.

Comment

hey i need to contact filosofo (jaime) cause i got some questions. Im a neta from queens i went to the grito en el bronx hace 2 años .he escuchado algunos rumores los cuales me gustaria aclarar.
                      mi e-mail es luijersey@msn.com
                      si me puede contestar i appreciate it
                      gracias

lucha,comparte,progresa y vive en paz y armonia como lo estipula nuestra filosofia. DE CORAZON!

Comment

Re: i feel u boricua-morena

Girl that is my exact same problema i have brown skin and my exact same family members are of that race and people just dont know unless i tell them or they hear me speaking spanish. Then they be like dang that black girl can flow wit some spanish and i be like im not black im a mixture and just because my skin is brown doesnt mean anything. And theres like no one to believe me except for my fellow boricuas!! thas why i love all yall sooo much and the culture but im also a mix of indains so yea but i see my main as puertorican!!! thanx for listenin hit me back porfavor

Comment

Response to All

We are all these things. Not everyone is black, or Taino, or White. However, what while there are Blacks in our culture, let'sunite as Boricuas in our beautiful culture and leave it at that! We have more similarities than differences in culture..we are one. A Bleack Puerto Rican Seargenat I met in the Air Force was very different than the American Blacks! We had more in common with each other! God Bless All!

Comment

Rivera,

Of course Afro-Antillian people are different from Afro-Americans, it's all cultural and customs that make them different. Boricuas are Boricuas, no matter what the color of their skin is. My Spouse is My Sweet Negrita, my love. I am white as paper, however, that is my taste and desire. Could not see myself with no one else. Si Dios era Negro mi compay, todo cambiaria, Seria el Negro, mi compay, el que mandaria..Old Bomba song from Puerto Rico.

Comment

No 3 race race in PR!!

I recommend to all of you to read Los cuatro pisos , a book written by Jose Luis Gonzalez. In it he DESTROYS the bull**** about the three races living peacefuly and nicely in PR and postulates that there are two cultures in PR, a popular one and the other a dominant one, the dominant one meaning PR whites, descendants of Spanish stock who dominate all aspects of PR society and the rest, mulatos and mixed race people with no power whatsoever. Wake up and don't buy the three race bull****. Non-whites in PR need to wake up and smell the racism and be not only proud of their heritage but willing to defend it with VOTES and by taking a stand, these people are NOT our brothers!!

Comment

Working...
                              X