boricua bloodline...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boricua bloodline...

what blood are most puerto ricans consisting of?? my puerto rican friends here in l.a. are mainly light complected to tanned...most say they are mestizzos (spanish and indigenous) or just say they are puerto rican not knowing what blood they have.....also, i havent really seen an afro-boricua in face to face...ive only seen them on tv such as tito trinidad and roberto clemente.....but what are u gente mostly mixed with??

Mulato/as

I would say that in the caribbean we are mulatos/as (African and European). Remember that the Catholic Church committed a holocaust with the natives. The natives were wiped out in the caribbean.

Comment

Most Boricuas have African blood and Caucasion, and many of them, especially in the USA, show a little or a lot of that. At first, the Boricuas in the states seem to be white, but you when look closely, you see that they're don't seem white or black, but they don't look like most Mexicans or Hondurians. That's the African showing out in them. Very few Boricuas have "native blood," from the Taíno Indians and if they do, the last of the "true bloodline" was a few hundred years ago, like mine. However, there are many Boricuas that have more Caucasion blood in them than others. However, there's a little bit of everything.

I might be considered a "black," Boricua, even though I'm lighter than Tito Trinidad and have curly hair, but I have blond and blue-eyed cousins. The racial issue is very completed in PR, mostly because the mix is so varied and we still have "docile minds" due to our long lasting colonialism and imposed cultures.

P.S.
      The closest thing than actually going to Puerto Rico to see a wide range of Boricuas is either New York City or Chicago, which have way larger Boricua communities than in L.A., which I think has less than 1,000.

Comment

bloodline...

there are about 32,000 boricuas in los angeles county....which is obviously waaaaaaaay less than in chi town, nyc, or miami....but its growing and umm...its all good....hmmm, well i ran into a site that say that tainos are still present and that there is a number of mestizzos in p.r. butill give u the link whne i get the chance, now i gotta bounce...peace ecuajey....yo, people say i look black or mulattoish but i dunno...cuz i have curly hair and a weird skin light complection...but ill holla at u laters
        peace

Comment

Re: bloodline...

Originally posted by MeXiCHiCo
          there are about 32,000 boricuas in los angeles county
          Wow, I read somewhere that it was like 1,000, but 32,000 is way more than I thought it was. You're right though, it is way less than what it is in Chicago, (Over 300,000) NYC, (Almost 800,000) and Florida. (Over 200,000 and growing unlike the other cities and states)

"Pure Taínos" no longer exist. However, arguements, such as Camano's, aren't true. The Spanish didn't completely,[/i] wipe out the Taínos, some did survive and mixed with Africans and Europeans. However, most Boricuas have more African and European direct ancestry than Taíno, that's evident in looking at most Boricuas. Some might come out not looking either European or African, but a little brown with straight hair, but I've seen that happen when a black-Boricua with European features and a white-Boricua have children.

I don't really even like using terms like "black-Boricua," because we are all a mix, some more than others. The fact is, our culture has aspects of all three major cultures, especially in our music, language, and mannerisms. I believe we as a people should be taught about each three cultures and their affects on our island and Puerto Rican culture as a whole. However, I don't believe that certain organizations should soley advocate the education of the Taínos, because they think they are "pure Taíno" and try to reinstate nearly dead traditions. They should be proud who they are, which is Puerto Rican, with its West & Central African, Taíno, and Western European traditions. Learn and teach, but don't ignore what you truly are. Here's that Taíno website you've might of seen about the Taínos.

http://www.taino-tribe.org/jatiboni.html

Comment

there are about 32,000 boricuas in los angeles county....which is obviously waaaaaaaay less than in chi town, nyc, or miami....but its growing and umm...its all good....hmmm, well i ran into a site that say that tainos are still present and that there is a number of mestizzos in p.r. butill give u the link whne i get the chance, now i gotta bounce...peace ecuajey....yo, people say i look black or mulattoish but i dunno...cuz i have curly hair and a weird skin light complection...but ill holla at u laters
            peace
            I have seen a few Afro Mexicans. Not many but a few of them that are of indegenous & afro mix. I hear that there are quite a bit of tensions between the African Americans and Mexicans. I think that stems from the Gang activity that is rampant in allot of the neighborhoods. I am Afro Cuban, but my family is mixed with Arawak Indian and Cherokee. My family ranges from black, brown light,to white skinned people and we have curly, straight, and tightly curled hair. We show allot of love to one another. Here in Florida where I live, we are getting a large influx of Mexican nationals. They are nice people with very distinctive Indegenous features. You can see that the blood line was not mixed very much or not at all. Their skin complexion ranges from Very dark brown, almost like an African American to red, to sometimes white, but the bone structure of the face is easily recognizable. We don't have a large Meztizo mexican population, we have a more pure Mexican population. But we also have alorge Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Dominican Population. Like the guy said before about the mix. In my Native CUBA things are very similar to Puerto Rico, but we have managed to maintain more of black presence as well as a mullato and meztizo mix of beautiful people. Yet we also have a remnant of the Arawk and Taino Indian tribes.
            Eterro

Comment

puerto rican population in california..

i found out that there are 144,000 boricuas in california and 55,000 in los angeles......i got that from boricua.com....pretty interesting.....

Comment

PUERTO RICAN BLOODLINE

WELL IF THE TRUTH BE KNOWN WE ARE A MIX OF THREE BLOODS AND I THOUGHT ALL BORICUAS KNEW THIS. WE ARE MULATOS. WE HAVE A MIX OF TAINO INDIAN, SPANISH AND BLACK (AFRICANS). I MYSELF DON'T BELIEVE IN THAT OF MORE OF THIS AND LESS THAN THAT. I BELIEVE WE HAVE AND EQUAL PERCENTAGE OF EVERY BLOOD. I HAVE SEEN HERE IN CALIFORNIA I KNOW A FAMILY THAT HAS THE STRAIGHT BLACK HAIR AND THE DARK SKIN OF THE TAINO IDIAN. I LOVE ALL THE THREES ROOTS OF MY BLOOD AND I'M VERY PROUD OF IT. AND OF COURSE PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW WILL CALL YOU A MEXICAN BECAUSE YOU SPEAK SPANISH THAT IS STUPID, BUT I TAKE MY TIME AND CORRECT THEM BECAUSE I AM PROUD OF WHAT I AM AND I WILL DIE PROUD OF WHAT I AM. AND I ALWAYS INVITE THEM TO GO VISIT THE ISLAND. YES I'M BLACK YOU DON'T SEE IT IN THE COLOR OF MY SKIN BUT I HAVE THE RYTHM OF BOMBA FLOWING THRU MY BODY, I HAVE LA PLENA Y EL DANZóN. SO LET'S BE PROUD OF ALL THREE NOT JUST ONE OR TWO. I HAVE HEARD SO MANY BORICUAS SAY OH NO I'M NOT BLACK, BUT WHERE THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOUR MULATO BLOOD CAME FROM IF IT WASN'T FROM BLOOD OF OUR BLACK AFRICAN ANCESTORS WE WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN CALLED MULATOS. BECAUSE TAINO AND SPANISH ONLY DOES NOT MAKE A MULATO IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW.

THANK YOU

Comment

Puerto Rico: A true melting pot

Name a race, and we have it. The Spanish were already mixed after 700 years of Arab occupation of their peninsula and before that from the godos, romans and greeks, before they arrived at our shores. Here, they mixed with the Arawaks and killed most of them but their genes survive today. They brought the africans fron different parts of Africa, the Ibo, the Mende, the Yoruba and others; and these were from black with caucasian features to really black-violet folks. Then the French, mainly Corsicans came to the island for the coffee industry, today almost 7% of puertorricans surnames are French. Then the Irish, in some island they are are called "red legs" ( an O'Reilly created the Lottery in PR)and italians, since Spain donimated a big chunk of Italy during Charles the 5 reign. In Puerto Rico many of these people of italian ancestry are in the legal business, lawyers and judges. When Cuba closed its doors we received a large Chinese population that in Cuba was the largest of Chinese ancestry in the Caribbean. Also, through Spain, many Arabs form Morocco and other parts of the middle east. Then our soldiers in the US army went around the world and came home with spouses and sometimes children from all those war fronts. The US is a "salad bowl", we are the true melting pot. And every day we receive in our shores the peoples of the Universe. Who knows, maybe there is also Chupacabra blood in us-but that is a different story!!

Comment

if u wanna see a boricua that actually looks taino...

i think marc anthony fits that description bro..

Comment

Im just Glad to see that the people on here recognise the mix that we are made up of. Its all LOVE. Todos Boriqua!!!!!

Comment

Hola!

hola...i'm mixed with Puerto rican And mexican....you could say that I am darker than most of the females that are like me...

Comment

Whats up ma. I read many of your post, BUeno! Holla back.

Comment

peace
                            Tainos are still present in phenotype. I've seen many Black Americans mixed with so-called White Americans who don't look like your average stereotyped boricuas. There is an unconcious reason why you nickname a friend or family member "Indio and India". That's because they are, genetically, part Indian. If they look "habao" then your most likely looking at a decendent of mulatto bloodline meaning African and European with no Indian, or very very little if any without interferring the dominant Mulatto mix. Don't let the myth "everyone has 3 races" blind you. There are many who are not of African blood as well as many who are not of European blood. The majority are mixed, but with what and how much? The problem is everyone wants to claim some Spanish blood, and in order to make such claim they have to include some black, to explain their features while looking obviously Indian with African. What about a family line who has been mixing with mainly Black in the Island? Just because one member (a great great grandparent) was European or Criollo (Island children born out of European parents) doesn't make you a Mulatto. And the same goes for the reverse. Remember Black and White does not make Indian. A sense of national pride developed with the "All 3 Races" identification. This view worked to diminish racism (although it still exist) in PR.

Food for thought: Don't you think that after 400 years of "equal mixing" everyone would begin to look the same (dominating similar features) at the sayyy 200 year mark creating a new RACE?

[Edited by JaneMas on 4th August 2004 at 11:23]
                            If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.
                            Thomas Szasz

Comment

El Boricua

I just wana know why is there such a big Racism problem in our Puerto Rico when over here in the states were just glad 2 know that there r other puerto ricans here we don't care if there dark or light skinded.(who ever can answer this question) why don't Boricuas and Mexicans get along, i stay over here in Humboldt Park chicago and the puerto ricans over were i stay at got it in for the mexicans. i'm puerto rican when i was yunger i had mexican friends but i lived in another naborhood but when i hit 14 we moved 2 Humboldt Park my first High school was Roberto Clemente when i got in the school i made alot of friends all of them were puerto rican they were always talking about how much they hate mexican's y eso seme pego know i started hatting mexicans for no reson (who ever can answer my question why do we have so much hate against Mexicans).

Comment

Working...
                              X