the real puerto ricans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the real puerto ricans

why is it that white-puerto ricans are quick to say i got african blood in me but don't like black people period?

american-whites and hispanic americans who don't like african americans or african people dance to music and do african derived dances? wtf

spain has salsa why? they make monkey noises when they see negros on other futbol teams.

puerto ricans who say tainos and spanish people shaped p.r?
    they say the african derived music was really created by the tainos and then mocked by the africans but is in better condition cause it is umbrella by the term latin rather than afro then a hyphen!

african americans who try to say p.rs are similar to them cause of africans<< yeah right only black-puerto rican and some mullatos are similar to american-blacks! prs in the united states abandoned there pr ways they know if they were back on the island they would not evn associate with black puerto ricans as most don't

truth is regardless if you have african blood in you it does not make you black or mixed you are white!
    if both of your parents are white then you are white!

what about asians there are asians in puerto rico too. now what are yall gonna say we are a mixure of asian african taino and spanish? if so don't play yourself.

everyone is not black, every one is not spanish and every one does not have taino in them i don't know why prs try to say they have all these races in their blood when in reality most puerto ricans are just spanish.

that reminds me of many dominicans like to throw the indio card around man please you guys are mullato and many are just negro theres no indians in the domincan republic.

in mexico yes in the dr no!

theres nothing wrong with representing the heritages of a island that does not mean you are it!

united states- whats the heritage of the united states?
    native americans, african american blacks, and different europeans?

should people go around saying im a mixture of native, african american and european just cause of the beginning trials(making) of america?

native americans sure as hell don't do it regardless if someone mixed in with them in the past.
    alot of native american tribes have mixed with white men doe that make them mixed today? no they are native american.

puerto ricans who think people are not puerto rican cause they are too black lol or too white.

The mimority is probably people who are too black, like prieto straight from Africa Haitian/Black American/Jamaican looking, and too white, like someone straight from Sweeden or White American (Midwest)

Comment

Originally posted by peedi
      why is it that white-puerto ricans are quick to say i got african blood in me
      i never heard of a "white puerto rican" saying they have african blood

most "white puerto ricans" would tell you straight up that they are of spaniard descent

however other puerto ricans that might be percieved as white, but who know what their heritage is, would say they are mixed and would claim taino &/or black heritage

but don't like black people period?
      there's pr's who don't like blacks and blacks that don't like pr's

if you know a "white puerto rican" who claims "african blood" but turns around and doesn't like blacks then they're just bs'ing you

american-whites and hispanic americans who don't like african americans or african people
      are all "american whites" and all "hispanic americans" (what is the connection btw? why not put asians, other africans, indians and europeans in the equation as well?) supposed to "like" ALL african americans and all africans??

i know AA's and Africans that don't like ALL Hispanics, so what is your point??

and you wern't specific enough when you mentioned "hispanic" because many hispanics are black or have black heritage

dance to music and do african derived dances? wtf
      some white americans dance and listen to black music and don't like blacks and this has been going on since the jazz era so are you just finding this out??

furthermore, AA's nor continental Africans made the "spanish language music" you speak of, it was black hispanics and hispanics of color in the caribbean islands and other latin american countries that did

spain has salsa why?
      does it? if so, what is the point you are trying to make? salsa has been an international music for around 30 years, and they (spain) had nothing to do with its creation

they make monkey noises when they see negros on other futbol teams.
      what does that have to do with PuertoRico.com? go to a spanish soccer fan site and state your grievance with their uncivilized behaviour

puerto ricans who say tainos and spanish people shaped p.r?
      that uneducated school of thought is not the thinking of all pr's

but i don't doubt that you heard some ignorant person (or people) make such a ridiculous statement, and foolishly neglect to include the black puerto rican and the vast contribution of black boriquas into that equation

they say the african derived music was really created by the tainos
      who's "they"?

and then mocked by the africans but is in better condition cause it is umbrella by the term latin rather than afro then a hyphen!
      this portion of your diatribe was undecipherable

african americans who try to say p.rs are similar to them cause of africans<< yeah right only black-puerto rican and some mullatos are similar to american-blacks!
      when AA's say that THEY ACTUALLY MEANT the "black-puerto rican and some mullatos"

well actually ALL mullatos

as well as the pr's with obvious amerindian heritage

which is something many AA's have as well

or did you think they were refering to spaniard descended pr's when they spoke of the similarities??

you do realize that white europeans colonized that island yes??

prs in the united states abandoned there pr ways
      yes some did to a large degree

but some no matter how hard they try will never be able to escape it (the culture or heritage)

even on the musical side of tings, the reggaeton that's out now is pointing back to the island, and to roots

they know if they were back on the island they would not evn associate with black puerto ricans as most don't
      and you know that how?

obviously you must be talking about light skin pr's in the states, so are you saying that all of the light skin pr's once back in pr will not associate with family members or people in their towns who are black etc??

truth is regardless if you have african blood in you it does not make you black or mixed you are white!
      if someone is white then they are white there's no denying that

but there's some that may look white and actually have recent black heritage which is obvious even in some AA's

then you have people who are very very dark skinned, AA's, Pr's, etc., and mentally they are pure lily white

if both of your parents are white then you are white!
      that should be obvious

but since i know you are talking about pr's i would say it isn't so clear cut

i say that because while some may appear "white" you might have two seemingly looking white parents and they're actually mestizo and have more amerindian and caribbean black culture in their everyday life then many AA's

what about asians there are asians in puerto rico too. now what are yall gonna say we are a mixure of asian african taino and spanish? if so don't play yourself.
      your talking jibberish son

everyone is not black,

thats correct, and some are only "black" in complexion and thats where their "blackness" ends

every one is not spanish
      the only spanish would be the people of spain

and every one does not have taino in them
      that is also true

and in my opinion those who want to proclaim outright that they have no "taino in them" should stop saying they are boriqua, because if you say that in my presence you will get checked to your face

i tell spaniard pr's i meet all the time that they are not boriqua

i don't know why prs try to say they have all these races in their blood when in reality most puerto ricans are just spanish.
      most pr's are not spanish, in reality many pr's check the white catergory even if they are black, mulatto, or mestizo

that reminds me of many dominicans like to throw the indio card around man please you guys are mullato
      you make that statement as if all dominicans are mulatto

but you really don't know what youre talking about, i know some dr's and they're straight up indio, some are black, some are mixed black & amerindian (considered black), some are mestizo, some are mixed black & spanish (mulatto), and some are white spanish

and many are just negro theres no indians in the domincan republic.
      you say that as if "indians" are supposed to be living like they did before that moorish devil colombus invaded with his mixed criminal fleet

anyway, i know dr's and some are indio straight up

i messed with a dominican chic years ago and you couldve put her with a group of east indian girls and she wouldve blended right in

i seen old dark skinned dominican men in the heights that were indio

not all indians in this hemisphere looked alike, this is where the notion i think comes from when people say "there's no indians in pr, cuba, dr, etc" as if caribbean people have never seen indio looking people all their life, in their own family, their friends, etc, from these places, even sometimes calling them "indio/india" as a nickname

united states- whats the heritage of the united states?
      native americans, african american blacks, and different europeans?

should people go around saying im a mixture of native, african american and european just cause of the beginning trials(making) of america?
      actually there are groups of people that do exactly that, because they have that mixture

they're called "melungeons"

alot of native american tribes have mixed with white men doe that make them mixed today? no they are native american.
      do you mean north american tribes? if so, can you prove that "many" have mixed with white men as in the whole of the NA tribes rather then just individuals?

btw many have mixed with black men and women as well

puerto ricans who think people are not puerto rican cause they are too black lol or too white.
      it would be my guess that only a uneducated puerto rican in the states would think a pr can be "too white" or "too black", which in my opinion is the result of an lack of an education on PR history, and from a lack of travel to the Isla
      Last edited by Kephrem; 10th September 2005, 04:29.

Comment

Kephrem, well..., what would you say percentage wise, Puerto Ricans are "racially"

Comment

Puerto Rico is so beautiful. One of the first, if not THE first place in the world where there is a mixture of peoples from every reach in the world. The one place where this is no such thing as "race" just people of different colors, complexions and phenotypes who share a common belief system, lifestyle and mannerisms. They are called BORICUAS. Not "Black Puerto Ricans" not "Triguenas" not any of that divisive crap that gringos seek to impose on anyone of color to keep them fighting amongst themselves.

And to a degree, that strategy has worked, although not as well in Puerto Rico as it has in other countries in Latin America.

Even people who have a particular look can't necessarily check a particular box on a census. There's too much mixture down the line to do that, either. My mother is very light complexion and my father is dark, and so am I. Past my complexion, as Kephrem stated earlier, that is where my blackness ends for the most part, with the exception of a few traits from the black side of my family. But if I were lighter, people would not even think twice whether or not I was "boricua de pura cepa" and that's where the problem lies. There is no dispute or question of one being a boricua until they are "demasiado prieto." Then the silly stereotypes come in.

Same for those who look like they came straight from London or Brussels and don't have the typical "latino" features.

But again, that's what makes Puerto Rico so beautiful!

Comment

I read somewhere there are 300,000 arabs in Puerto Rico, lol.

Anyway, the truth is, you can have people in Puerto Rico who can look like this

to people who look like this

Comment

Originally posted by s3xy
              I read somewhere there are 300,000 arabs in Puerto Rico, lol.

Anyway, the truth is, you can have people in Puerto Rico who can look like this

to people who look like this

Basically. So when morons who have never even BEEN to Puerto Rico begin to lump everyone together -- like I've read in other venemous threads, I just have to shake my head. You're dead-on with the pics, s3xy.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgado22
                Basically. So when morons who have never even BEEN to Puerto Rico begin to lump everyone together -- like I've read in other venemous threads, I just have to shake my head. You're dead-on with the pics, s3xy.

Yep, theres no "average" really,

Comment

real p.ricans

i agree with you, but hey you forgot that we also have arab blood, jajajajajaja remember the crew that came with columbus were spanish moriscos(arabs) to make it simpler, if some one is going to get busted let them be the moriscos along with columbus thing is they didn`t and they ended staying here during the discovery period and the conquista period they were started to get pushed aside. so don`t forget that, y dios t bendiga, or gracias a dios or is it allah akbar.

Comment

A new study points out that more than 62% of boricuas have Taino genes

Juan Carlos Martínez Cruzado is Professor of Genetics at the University of
                    Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. We invited him to talk to us about his
                    research project, funded by the National Science Foundation, to determine
                    the continental origin of the mtDNA of Puerto Ricans--a project spurred by
                    the surprise finding of a much larger-than-expected number of Puerto Ricans
                    testing positive for Amerindian ancestry.

What exactly is mitochondrial DNA, and what does its analysis reveal? An
                    analysis of mitochondrial DNA can positively identify female ancestors
                    because the mitochondrion is an organelle--a cell organ--that does not
                    recombine as it passes from one generation to another down the female line;
                    that is, it passes intact, without combining with the male mtDNA which is
                    not transmitted from one generation to another. Nevertheless, the
                    mitochondrion has a fast mutation rate, thus making it possible to trace
                    ancestry within short periods of evolutionary time. These two
                    characteristics of the mtDNA make it a highly informative genetic unit and
                    the darling of human evolutionary geneticists.

Why are these results surprising?
                    Though a high incidence of homogeneity within particular ethnic groups
                    (referred to as the bottleneck effect) is not uncommon--and indeed, previous
                    studies suggest the occurrence of just such an effect in the Pre-Columbian
                    colonization of Puerto Rico through the Lesser Antilles--such homogeneity
                    makes it impossible to identify the filial relationship of the interred. The
                    results indicated that these people were definitely Amerindian, but it was
                    not possible to determine whether a filial, as well as a cultural,
                    relationship existed between them, even when the most hypervariable region
                    of the mtDNA was analyzed. In order to determine that relationship we would
                    have to examine the mtDNA of contemporary descendants of these people in
                    search of variable sites in the mtDNA.

How could this be achieved?
                    Because the mitochondrion remains genetically intact through the maternal
                    line, analysis of the mitochondria of contemporary Puerto Ricans who were
                    likely to be of Amerindian ancestry could scientifically reveal such
                    ancestry. Ideally, a study of a large group of Amerindian mtDNA should make
                    it easier to determine the variable sites within that mtDNA, and so help us
                    trace relationships back in time.

Considering that the history of Puerto Rico suggests that there were no
                    Amerindians on the island by the end of the 16th century, how did you
                    identify such descendants?
                    According to historian Salvador Brau, the censuses of 1777 and 1787 recorded
                    the existence of some 2,000 Amerindians in the areas of Indiera Alta,
                    Indiera Baja and Indiera Fría. These were descendants of a group of Tainos
                    who, in 1570, decided to intern themselves in the mountainous regions of
                    central Puerto Rico in order to protect themselves from Spanish
                    colonization. Also, it is popular belief in the area around the city of
                    Mayagüez that the barrio Miraflores of the town of Añasco was populated by
                    many indians and "negros cimarrones" fleeing slavery. We went to these
                    areas
                    and obtained a total of 23 samples of hair roots (18 from the Indieras, 5
                    from Miraflores) to analyze. We also sent a general e-mail to the staff,
                    faculty and students of the UPRM requesting sample donations from anyone who
                    had a mother or a grandmother who had Amerindian traits. This request
                    resulted in 33 samples.

What did the analyses of these samples reveal?
                    More surprises. Of the 18 samples from the Indieras, 10 presented Amerindian
                    mtDNA (55%); of the 5 samples from Miraflores, 4 were Amerindian (80%); of
                    the 33 from the UPRM, 25 were Amerindian (76%). The high incidence of
                    Amerindian mtDNA among these three groups was not in itself surprising
                    because we had intentionally sought out those people who had reason to
                    believe they were of Amerindian ancestry; but it was surprising to find that
                    there was a higher incidence among the university students and personnel
                    than among the inhabitants of the Indieras--who were considered "pure"
                    Amerindians by the census of 1777 and 1787. This led us to request hair root
                    samples from additional students regardless of their ancestry. Of the 38
                    samples obtained in this collection, 20 (53%) presented Amerindian mtDNA.
                    Such a high incidence in the general student population suggested that,
                    contrary to the prevailing view, some 53% of Puerto Ricans were of
                    Amerindian ancestry exclusively through their maternal line. These findings
                    made it clear that we needed to extend the study by analyzing a
                    representative sample of the mtDNA of contemporary Puerto Ricans

It was at this point that you requested a grant from the National Science
                    Foundation?
                    Yes. In August, 1999, I received a grant from the National Science
                    Foundation to determine the continental origin of the mtDNA of Puerto Ricans
                    through the analysis of a representative sample. To select the sample, we
                    used a computer program that made a random selection of the total population
                    of Puerto Rico based on the census of 1990. When corrected to take into
                    account population growth in the last 10 years, the original 872 households
                    chosen by the program became 1,073. To further insure the randomness of the
                    sample, we requested hair root samples only from the adult in the household
                    whose birthday most closely followed the date of the interview. We also
                    interviewed the donors requesting information about their mothers,
                    grandmothers, and great-grandmothers, as far back as they could remember, to
                    learn of their origin. To date, 92% of the potential donors have agreed to
                    participate, so that we have been able to collect hair samples from 781
                    residences.

What do the analyses of these samples suggest?
                    The results of the analyses of approximately 300 of these samples identify
                    62% as Amerindian, 30% as African blacks and 8% Caucasian. So these results
                    confirm your original findings and cast doubt on the notion that the Tainos
                    disappeared from Puerto Rico by the end of the sixteenth century. It seems
                    so, for the moment, especially considering that similar studies in other
                    countries have yielded similar results. In Belen, Brazil, for example, mtDNA
                    analysis identifies 59% of the contemporary population as Amerindian, while
                    Y-chromosome analysis identifies less than 5% as Amerindian. This indicates
                    that 59% of the population of Belen has an Amerindian mother somewhere down
                    the ancestral line, while less than 5% of them have a male Amerindian
                    ancestor.

Are any other traditional beliefs affected?
                    Yes. Our findings also indicate that the conventional wisdom that
                    Amerindians would be concentrated in the mountains while African blacks
                    would be concentrated in the coasts, is not accurate. A strong Amerindian
                    presence has been found in the southern coastal city of Ponce, for example,
                    while African black mtDNA is present in the central mountains of Puerto
                    Rico. Undoubtedly, African slaves must have fled from the coasts to the
                    mountains even though history does not record such a flight. Loiza Aldea, an
                    area east of San Juan populated mostly by blacks, presents an interesting
                    example. By a crown decree from Spain, the colonial government of Puerto
                    Rico was instructed to place runaway slaves from the British colonies in
                    what is today Loiza Aldea. This area was chosen by the Crown because it was
                    the weakest flank of defense of the island, and they hoped that the freed
                    blacks would help defend the island against British invaders. This is a
                    historical fact, but what history cannot explain is the great quantity of
                    fishermen among the blacks of Loiza Aldea. Fishing by blacks is considered
                    an aberration because black slaves were traditionally taught a fear of the
                    sea as a way to keep them enslaved. Some historians have argued that the
                    blacks of Loiza developed their fishing skills through direct contact with
                    the Tainos of Puerto Rico. The presence of Amerindian mtDNA in Loiza,
                    supports this hypothesis. In general, the project underlines the fact that
                    biology can help reveal ethnic origins as well as population growth and
                    migration in the development of a people.

Sounds like a true meeting of the arts and sciences. What comes next?
                    Our findings to date are of great interest to historians and Puerto Ricans
                    in general, but another important goal of our study of the continental
                    origin of the mtDNA of Puerto Ricans is to determine the variability sites
                    within the mtDNA so that the filial relationship among the remains found in
                    Amerindian interments can be ascertained. A detailed characterization of
                    Amerindian mtDNA will identify variable sites that will facilitate the
                    design and execution of ancient DNA studies. Ancient DNA studies are
                    necessary to relate the succesive historic ceramic cultures found in Puerto
                    Rico to Pre-Columbian migrations and population expansions. They may also be
                    conducted to study the relationship of prehistoric Puerto Ricans to their
                    neighbors, as well as their burial and religious practices. So, as you can
                    see, we have only just begun our research. Fortunately, the large number of
                    samples of contemporary Puerto Rican mtDNA that we have been able to collect
                    is giving us a good basis for accomplishing our research goals; and the
                    results of our analyses to date have set the stage for Y-chromosome studies
                    that will allow us to estimate with precision the complete ethnic
                    composition of the various geographic regions of Puerto Rico and define the
                    contribution of both sexes to this composition. We have also found a number
                    of variable sites in the mtDNA of Puerto Ricans, so we may some day be able
                    to tell maternal relationships among our ancestors.

Comment

I personally don't judge people by their race or color but by how they behave. If a group of people sharing certain physical traits expects to be looked upon with admiration then that group has to inspire that admiration via its comportment. Demanding respect and admiration while going around earning hatred and contempt will get such a group nowhere. Neither is it reasonable for any group sharing certain physical traits to demand trhat everyone find those traits pleasant. As human beings we are entitled to aesthetic preferences. To demand otherwise is ridiculous.

Comment

Puerto rico

Puerto Rico is like Dominican Republic and Cuba its based on mulattos and mesticos you have your guyanese looking you have your jamaican looking and they have no descendence from those places its that we are WEST INDIAN..
                        VIVA PUERTO RICO

Comment

Originally posted by LEVITTOWN_GELE View Post
                          Puerto Rico is like Dominican Republic and Cuba its based on mulattos and mesticos you have your guyanese looking you have your jamaican looking and they have no descendence from those places its that we are WEST INDIAN..
                          You are wrong. Puerto Rican demographics are not identical to the Dominican Republic or Cuba.
                          That can be easily demonstrated by researching the demos and comparing them. Try it and see for yourself that they don't match.

Comment

Smh

What a thread... No voy a someterle a esto porq me saca de quizia.
                            Ser Puerto Riqueno no necesariamente es ser Nacido & criado en Puerto Rico, sino, llevarlo en tu corazon donde quiera que estes.

Comment

Working...
                            X