Help with common phases and words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with common phases and words

ok some of you know me but for those who don't I'm not puerto rican. I am moving to puerto rico and would like to learn more spanish. I took it he last three years of school but most of the words I know are in a mexican dialect and then I sound like a gringa. I really want to know more Puerto rican words and common phases that I would need to get around. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated

Dear M.Nixon,

To help you with common phrases and Puerto Rican words, just write down the common phrases and the Puerto Rican words in English or something that you want to say in spanish and we go from there.

I already contact my nephew and nice in Puerto Rico to get the latest information about common language in P.R OK

Jose

Comment

Thanks
      how would you say
      How do we go there?
      and
      If only they knew?

Comment

m.nixon,
        This might help.

how would you say
        How do we go there? - "Como se llega a ese sitio?" or "Donde queda eso?"
        and
        If only they knew? - " Si ellos solo supiesen" or "Si ellos saben?".
        My two cents.
        Good luck - "Buena suerte"
        Ajo

Comment

M.Nixon,

How do we go there?
          Answer: Como vamos nosotros allá? or Como iremos nosotros allá? (there: means a place or location)

If only they knew?
          Answer: Si solamente ellos supieran?

extra points:
          If only we knew? Si solamente nosotros supieramos?

If only you knew? Si solamente ustedes supieran? (Plural more than one person)

or Si solamente tu supieras? (Friendly way)
          (one person only)

Jose

[This message has been edited by guayama (edited 19 August 1999).]

Comment

gracias pero how would you pronounce the last word?

Comment

M. Nixon,

I am trying to link or connect to a Voice & Text Recognition on the Web that will provide
              quality sounds for pronunciation.

Most computers have multimedia capabilities now, including speakers, audio card and microphone. Anybody can sent a wavesound file from Window 95 or 98 on the internet and you can listen to the information on the other side any time (it's a recording),also it is important to have a pair of headphones available.

Voice & Sound recognition is like listening to the radio station on the web, it's getting better all the time.

One to One tutoring is great because you can interchange emails and sent the wavesound files very easy.

Jose

Comment

hola m. nixon,
                me llamo jasen. i would be happy to help you as much as i can with your spanish. my e-mail address is jasenj@hotmail.com. hope to hear from you soon.
                hasta luego,
                jasen
                jasenj

Comment

Hi M Nixon
                  supieran soup ee eh ran(remember to roll your tongue when pronouncing the r in spanish.
                  Spanish unlike english is not as precisse some words have quite a few meanings for example the word vente.
                  It really means the # 20 and come here as well so like someone in this forum mention one to one tutoring is best.
                  You will also find that pr's are very intellegent and very hospitable so you should not have any problems picking up the lingo and by the way a lot of people in pr speak fluent english.
                  good luck
                  rq

Comment

Thank you, everyone latinos in general are very hospitible people, and I am awear that many PR's speak english pero yo quiero aprender mas,it never hurts to learn and if I speak spanish and english most likely I could find a better job.

Comment

ROLANDOQ :SORRY I DON'T MEAN TO CORRECT YOU ,BUT SINCE YOU'R TEACHING, OR PUT YOURSELF IN THAT POSSITION,VENTE MEAN COME OR COME ON.VEINTE IS #20 POE BODY IS NERFECT!!!GOOD DAY TO ALL

Comment

You are absolutely right, I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                        X