I am Puerto Rican and need to learn spanish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Puerto Rican and need to learn spanish

I am a 17/m Puerto Rican and I live in the states. I know very little spanish and I am very embarrassed about this. I have been trying to learn spanish and my history for a long time now ( since I was 12)and have had no success. so then I found this web site and I thought that its worth a shot so if you can please help me.

why aren't your parents teaching you? I come from Spanish-speaking parents from Cuba but yet spanish was forbidden in our house. My father refuse to have us speak it. He always said if you going to learn the white man's language learn the most important one , english.

Luckily I had aunts and cousins who taught us the language.

Comment

Recommendations on learning Spanish

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; PR CHICO . I recommend several things: 1) Television-watch Spanish television, the content might be terrible but this is a great medium for learning languages. Most cable franchises carry one or two Spanish channels. Watch specially children shows which are more elementary in their treatment of the language and commercials. many are translations from English commercials and you might know the content already. This has worked for some people I know who wanted to learn English, I'm sure it works with Spanish too.You can not believe the teaching power of Sesame Street. 2) If you can afford it, immerse yourself in the language and culture by visiting a Spanish speaking country-you will not believe how much you already know and how it will manifest itself once you are forced to speak the language. Do it for an extended period of time. 3)Get a dictionary, an electronic one and one that possesses a lot of words. Carry it at all times and use as reference.4) Try to find a Spanish speaking buddy who wants to learn English and help each other with the languages. 4) Try to read basic stories in Spanish and say them out loud, practice in front of a mirror. The internet is a great source of grammar and sites for translations. Go to a search engine and type for example:: the present tense;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;

Comment

Originally posted by asanchez
        why aren't your parents teaching you? I come from Spanish-speaking parents from Cuba but yet spanish was forbidden in our house. My father refuse to have us speak it. He always said if you going to learn the white man's language learn the most important one , english.

Luckily I had aunts and cousins who taught us the language.

sounds familar although the problem wasn't not being taught it my mother was strict on me learning "foriegn languages" ...but my question to her was "why did you marry outside of somali ??? (half cuban/half somalien" I guess its cause shes a Magdan they are known to be the outsiders of all the somali muslim tribes..

Comment

Somalian women are beautiful!

Los recuerdos suelen
          Contarte mentiras

Stanley

Comment

you are right!

Comment

I also am in the same boat man. My father never taught me because I grew up in Ohio and have an english speaking mother. I am doing everything I can to learn the language also. Let me know if you hear anything. Good luck

Comment

I also am in the same boat man. My father never taught me because I grew up in Ohio and have an english speaking mother. I am doing everything I can to learn the language also. Let me know if you hear anything. Good luck

Comment

HI! I can help you if you want...
                  Tell me what do you need exactly.

Comment

bruji

I am also interesed in learning spanish ( and have been for some time). How is it that you would be able to help me?
                    P.S thanks for your help

Comment

learning spanish

I know how you feel. I lived in Puerto Rico for 11 years( and I am 1?2 american) and I didn't know any English. I was very embarassed.

Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn.If your family speaks spanish you should ask them to teach you.Try to read books that are in English but have spanish words in them. A really good book that has that is "When I was Puerto Rican" by esmaralda Santiago. But the fastest way to learn is to but Spanish language books. And do your spanish for like 30 minutes every day. If you need any pointers or want to know any words you can e-mail me or reply.
                      Sojlei-Maria Juanelle Lopez Gonzalez Morralez

Comment

Iím in the same situation you are puerto_rico_chico_69

I know very little Spanish (Iím 18 by the way) and have faced some serious identity issues because of it. I know quite a bit of the island's culture, history, even why the flags have they colors that it does. But the people who don't know any of that, they yell boricua in the streets but have no idea of the significance, think they are a "true Puerto Rican" or "more of a Puerto Rican" than me because the speak Spanish and deny me and call me a fake Puerto Rican, My own family!!!
                        Any who if you are going to learn Spanish do it because you want to not because you are embarrassed to feel that you should. I'm taking Spanish classes in college and doing pretty ok and Iím happy because i'm doing it for myself and not what people think of me.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Somali_Cubano
                          you are right!
                          can you explain to me what that is a picture of because otherwise you're nothin but a terroist....yeah I said it and I meant it so......GET OVA IT!!!

Comment

LEARN SPANISH

IF YOU WANT TO LEARN SPANISH, THE BEST PLACE TO START IS TAKE A CLASS TO LEARN SPANISH. TO BEGIN TO LEARN, WHILE YOUR LEARNING, WATCH THE SPANISH CHANNELS, YOU'LL LEARN ALOT.

ANOTHER GOOD WAY IS TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH LATINOS, LATINOS WHO SPEAK ALOT OF SPANISH AND A LITTLE ENGLISH. YOU WILL LEARN ALOT IF YOU ALLOW THEM TO SPEAK SPANLISH. AND THIS WAY YOU CAN HELP THEM WITH ENGLISH AND THEY CAN HELP YOU WITH SPANISH. USUALLY THIS WORKS GREAT.

THE ULTIMATE WAY TO LEARN SPANISH , GO TO A SPANISH SPEAKING COUNTRY WITH BASIC SPANISH SKILLS AND SPEAK TO PEOPLE , YOU HAVE TO SPEAK IN SPANISH CAUSE THEY DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH.

IF YOUR DEAD SERIOUS DO ALL THESE IN THIS ORDER BY THE TIME YOUR DONE YOU'LL KNOW ALOT MORE SPANISH.
                            CONTINUE TO DO THIS AND YOU WILL LEARN. ALSO IF YOU GET SOME SPANISH FRIENDS, LISTEN TO SPANISH MUSIC AND LEARN IT. WITH YOUR FRIEND. GO TO SPANISH CLUBS, IT'S A GOOD WAY TO MEET THE LATINO FRIENDS. BE A REGULAR AT THE CLUB YOUR BOUND TO MEET SOMEONE. OR WHERE EVERY SPANISH PEOPLE ARE GO THERE AND FIND A FRIEND. THE ONLY THING ABOUT SPANISH IS EVERY DIFFERENT LATINO HAS THERE OWN WAY OF SPEAKING IT.

IT'S KINDA LIKE ENGLISH, YOU GET A JAMAICAN,A BRITISHMAN, A AUSTRALIAN, A NEW YORKER, AND A SOUTHERN AMERICAN. THEY ALL SPEAK ENGLISH BUT MAN DOESN'T IT SOUND DIFFERENT AND THEY USE SLAIN OTHERS DON'T. WELL THAT'S THE SAME FOR SPANISH.

IF YOU WANT TO LEARN YOU CAN.
                            THESE THINGS HELP ME,
                            I SPEAK SPANISH AND ENGLISH BUT LIVING IN AMERICA YOU DON'T SPEAK SPANISH THAT MUCH SO WHEN I WANT TO GET EXPOSURE I WATCH SPANISH SOAP OPERAS, READ SPANISH PAPER BOOKS, BUT THE BEST IS WHEN I ACTUALLY SPEAK TO PEOPLE,

THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF YOU'RE NOT SPEAKING TO SOMEONE IN SPANISH IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO LEARN AND USE IT.

OK MAMITA(MAMITA IS A WORD WE USE, IT'S KINDA LIKE SAYING"GIRL" BUT IN A MORE INDEARING WAY) AND IT IS ANOTHER CULTURE SO SOMETIMES THINGS DON'T TRANSLATE WELL OR AT ALL.
                            CAUSE IN REALITY MAMITA , IN SPANISH MAMA MEANS MOTHER, MAMITA(IS MOTHER WITH AND INDEARMENT TO IT)IT'S KINDA LIKE SAYING (HONEY) YOU CAN CALL A GIRL OR GUY HONEY , CAUSE IT'S A ENDEARMENT. IT'S CAN BE CONFUSING BUT IF YOUR ARE AROUND SOMEONE USING IT YOU SEE HOW AND WHEN THEY USE IT. IF IT WAS A GUY YOU WOULD SAY"PAPI OR PAPITO" PAPI MEANS FATHER IN SPANISH, OR IT CAN BE USED IN A INDEARING WAY. LIKE I CAN CALL MY NEIGHBOR PAPITO. OR MY BOYFRIEND PAPI TOO.

JUST LIKE I USED IT, I WOULDN'T CALL MY ENEMY MAMITA OR HONEY. IT'S LIKE MAMITA HAS TWO MEANINGS, SOMETIMES YOU'LL SEE A CHILD CALL HER MOM MAMITA, CAUSE THAT'S HER MOM. BUT SOMETIMES A FRIEND CAN CALL YOU THAT BUT IT'S MEANT TO BE ENDEARING IN THAT CASE.

OK GIRL, IF YOU WANT MORE SPANISH WORDS,

Comment

PUERTO RICO CHICO, SORRY I JUST SAW YOUR NAME AND REALIZED YOUR A GUY.

SORRY DUDE. BUT MY ADVISE IS STILL THE SAME. ADIOS

Comment

Working...
                              X