Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 and moving to PR..only lived in Espana for 4mo-ayudame con mi espanol por favorrr!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19 and moving to PR..only lived in Espana for 4mo-ayudame con mi espanol por favorrr!

Hey Everyone!

First, if someone's willing to help me with my Spanish that would be great. I have a good grasp of it, but I know Spanish differs everywhere and I'm really worried-kind of freaking out bc i speak like a spaniard. I'll be studying in Puerto Rico and most likely all my courses will be taught in spanish. Thats fine, but when it comes to writing paper and such, my grammer is absolutely awful. ALSO learning a puerto rican accent would be lovely.

Can anyone help??

2nd (I'll probably post another thread for this as well) ....For those of you who have lived/are living in Puerto Rico. Here are the places where i may be living: Bayamon, Mayaguez, Cayey, Humacao, Santurce....which place is best for me as a student and a 20yr old college girl???

Jay Jay, I have been teaching Spanish and Latin in a Connecticut High Schooll for more that three decades. I still believe immersion is the best way to learn a language. Go with the flow, at the begining it might seem difficult but you'll get better at it I promise. Try your Spanish, don't be afraid of making errors I assure it will be good enough and if not most everyone speaks English in P.R. I wish you all the best as your Spanish improves and your confidence grows.
    Humacao is boring, Cayey is way up in the mountains if you like hiking and the climate is a little cooler, Bayamon is too crowded and hot as hell, Mayaguez is not too bad and there are good surfing areas in that area and a good university atmosphere.
    In terms of where to stay the San Juan capital area is the best for fun and it has a terrific nightlife for a 20 year old. Be careful in the big city and write to us when you are there to see how things are going for you. Promise?

Comment

Speaking English in America

Learning a different language is obviously an asset, how ever truely bilingual countries hardly exist around the world. The so called bilingualism of Europe is a myth. Once one leaves the larger cities, hardly anyone speaks another language other than their native one. Take Norway. I once thought every one was bilingual there. Once I went north, say to Tronheim, its like leaving San Juan and arriving in Yauco. Yes one can find folks speaking basic English, like giving you general directions, but bilingualism, yeah right!

Same can be said for Quebec. Once you leave Montreal or Quebec City, and drive towards the Vermont border, English is hardly spoken. In fact you hear more English in Humacao, near Palmas del Mar, than in Lac-Brome. So much for a truely bilingual country.

In all the so called bilingual countries I've been to, including Puerto Rico, bilingulism is concentrated among the educated folks, not among the uneducated or the older folks. One Strange thing about Puerto Rico is that English is spoken more fluently among the pro-independence groups than among the rabidly pro-american Statehood groups. Go figure.

We Puerto Ricans are always fighting with each other over English. But I fear that it's not so much about the language per say, its about trying to fit in with Americans and eventually become the 51 state. The sad part is that Americans, outside the larger sophisticated liberal cites, are basically uneducated intolerant hill-billies. Although many Puerto Ricans can speak English well enough, its never good enough for these hill billies, who make up a large portion of the U.S. population. Strangely, they populate states that Puerto Ricans adore like Texas, Alabama, Kansas, Idaho or Florida.

Another problem with learning another language is that it doesn't take away your native accent when speaking it. But that is no reason not to learn English. In Europe folks don't care if they speak French with a Spanish accent. However, unknown to many Puerto Ricans, Americans on the average do care. They are suspicious of accents. why? They make you sound foreign, un-american. Its like Dominicans speaking Spanish. You immediately know they're NOT PUERTO RICANS!

But being questioned about your Americanism is down right insulting after being American citizens since 1917, isn't it? Nonetheless most americans will just look at you and say, what country do you come from, Mexico? Cuba?

This frame of thought applies to a lot of americans, specially those who form part of the growing Tea Party Movement. Are they being nasty? No, its just that americans are suspicious of accents, even those from Puerto Ricans. They are suspicious of anyone who doesn't sound "American". If you sound like "La Comay" speaking English you're in trouble , no matter how much you wave the American flag!

I'll never forget being at a dinner party, only PR there, and was asked, " say you speak English well, no accent. Where did you learn such good English, we can understand all of it." It was down right insulting even though many Puerto Ricans will find this to be a praise.

What I've learned is, You can learn all the English you want, a noble cause, but as the guys sang to Rita Moreno in West Side Story, to be accepted in Tea Party America today "you better get rid of your accent." LOL

Comment

Working...
      X