la mujer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• la mujer

Hello, I have a question on something that is confusing me. I work with a man that refers to his wife as la mujer, and in my limited knowledge of spanish I take that to mean, the woman?? My question is why would he refer to his wife as the same as he would to any woman? If he says "look at the woman walking down the street" wouldn't he also say la mujer? Why is there no difference in the way he refers to his wife and the way a man would refer to any woman? I can't imagine my husband calling me "the woman" when speaking of me. To me being a wife seperates me from all other women to him. I'm not judging, just trying to understand. This is something that I have wondered for months now.

In saying "la mujer" this man is not necessarily degrading his wife. It's as common as referring to one's wife as "the ole lady."

Comment

Thank you for the help... I have no idea why but it was irritating me everytime I heard him say this, lol And I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere online, and I stumbled on this forum so decided to test my luck in getting a direct answer. Now I can stop looking at him like a pig lol.
      Last edited by TipoConSuerte; 28th March 2012, 11:49.

Comment

Originally posted by curious1976 View Post
        Thank you for the help... I have no idea why but it was irritating me everytime I heard him say this, lol And I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere online, and I stumbled on this forum so decided to test my luck in getting a direct answer. Now I can stop looking at him like a pig lol.
        Ha! ha! Glad you no longer look at him like a pig!

Comment

Working...
        X