Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Your Favorite Film of All Time and Why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Your Favorite Film of All Time and Why?

I would love to hear why a certain film appeals to you in particular. I have to admit I am eclectic as well. My husband loves artsy fartsy films and films that are theatrical and contain lots of obscure symbolism. I love low budget Kung Fu movies with no subtitles and everyone speaking Chinese or Cantonese, etc. with lots of action. Or expansive epics that take you back in time and has grand vistas and sweeping views. Or films in which there are unexpected twists and turns...and full blown character development.

Here are my top ten picks of all time great movies and the reasons why:

10. Kama Sutra--Gorgeous visually interesting film with great acting and an interesting premise...what is more enviable social position and wealth or true love? Lol.

9. Marty--the the old Burgess Meredith one. Where a plain-faced butcher and lonely man meets homely girl and finds love and we see the greatness in all people.

8. Little Big Man--this film traces the life of an old old man reflecting on his adventures and experiences and what he has learned.

7. To Kill A Mockingbird--this film deals with the ugliness of prejudice and racism in such a beautiful, sensitive way.

6. The Matrix--love the action and the premise that human beings are manipulated by machines and caught up in some dream computer world and are not living reality but belief becomes reality....yep, this film has a lot of social commentary with great action. Lol.

5. Nosotros Los Pobres--Pedro Infante. Lol. Yep, I like the melodrama and the tragedy and that poor folks are full of spirit and love and hope no matter how bad it gets.

4. Alien--I love space sci-fi flicks with some 'strange aliens' and lots of suspense....lol.

3. Dances With Wolves--Epics...this time a western Epic with the Native Americans portrayed with some sensitivity...not as much as I would like but acceptable.Lol.

2. The Godfather--hey, its a mobster flick. And a great one. Mario Puzo did an excellent job writing the book and the film was very captivating. Lol.

1. Lawrence of Arabia---I loved that movie...so interesting it was to me. I also loved Dr. Zivago too. And I loved Horseman on the Roof...and Dune (though I know many people did not...lol). I liked Gandhi and The Last Emperor and Billy Elliot and so many others thank goodness there is variety out there. I wish someone would make another beautiful, absorbing and extremely intelligent Science Fiction movie....those I really like. Lol.

HOw about your favorites? LOL.

Mines are....

1) The Shawshank Redemption- Shows the power of the human spirit for freedom and how institutionalization doesn't necessarily mean rehabilitation

2) The Lion King - Great theme and characters for an animated film. It portrays greed, guilt, jealousy, love, friendhsip, and redemption all in a cartoon.

3) The Last Emperor - Great film that showed the life of the Last Emperor of China and how he was reduced to a garderner.

4) The Red Violin - The interesting adventures of a violin through 400 years and the hands it's been and the struggle to keep it.

5) Raise the Redlanters - (Chinese Film) How one's unhappiness could infect others in a viscious cycle.

6) Requiem for a Dream - The consiquences of drug abuse portrayed to affect anyone who has a heart.

7) The Color Purple - The sad lives of African-Americans in the South.

8) Before Night Falls - The life of a homosexual Cuban writer and how he suffered before and during Fidel Castro's regime.

9) I am Sam- Heart warming film that really makes you think what does it take to be a good, loving parent.

10) Les Miserables - Portrays redemption and pride too well.

11) Quills - A deliciously sinister movie, lol.

12) Scream - It has a beginning that you'll never forget. It would have been better if they just stopped at part 1.

13) Bedazzled - Hilarious and well written. Elizabeth Hurley as the Devil was just fantastic!

14) Austin Powers: Goldmember - Just a too funny movie!

15) Indiana Jones #3 A great action film.

16) Snatch (British Film) - I love films that shows a lot of irony.

17) A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries

18) Ghandi - The life of a true human being/hero, greatly portrayed by Ben Kingsly.

19) Congo - A terrific action movie with beautiful scenary and special effects.

20) The Matrix - A great plot.

Comment

I tend to have a dark side that is most easily visible in my taste in the arts and entertainment.

20. Charley (1968) - Based on the Daniel Keyes' novel Flowers for Algernon, the movie tells the story of Charley, a 30-year-old mentally retarded bakery worker. A neurosurgeon and a psychiatrist ask him to participate in an experiment that would help him achieve a normal level of intelligence as has been demonstrated in mentally incapacitated laboratory rats. The treatment works so well that Charley attains genius levels of intelligence only to see these new found powers of reason all vanish within a matter of months since unbeknownst to the researchers, the effectiveness of the treatment is only temporary. This is a heartbreaking movie.

19. Full Metal Jacket (1987) - The Vietnam War - Stanley Kubrick-style. Harsh lighting and cinematography with an odd "antisceptic" feel to many scenes. Brutal in intent and execution, it is a masterwork that brought the phrase "Me so horny." into the 80's rap music lexicon.

18. Real Genius (1985) - I have always had a soft spot for high school/college nerd flicks. This is one of the better offerings within that genre.

17. Monster's Ball (2002) - American angst set in the semirural south.

16. American Beauty (1999) - American angst set in neurotic suburbia.

15. This is Spinal Tap (1984) - A Rob Reiner masterpiece pseudodocumentary film that covers segments of a US tour undertaken by a fictitious, washed up, British heavy metal rock group. Seeing the current state of bands like AC/DC, the word parody may not be appropriate anymore when describing this film.

14. Good Fellas (1990) - Martin Scorcese's best work...it is an autobiographical account of mafioso Henry Hill and his life of crime in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. Comparisons with the Godfather films are not out of line with this classic. Joe Pesci particularly shines as a psychotic hitman and Robert DeNiro plays his role with uncanny ease and realism as he nearly always does.

13. Blade Runner (1981) - Ridley Scott's adaptation of the Philip K. Dick sci-fi novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep single-handedly takes the vision of cyberpunk that became fashionable in novel during the late 70's and masterfully creates those worlds on film. The future would never be the same. The clean sterile future environs of 2001-A Space Odyssey and Logan's Run were replaced by the gritty, dirty, and yet futuristic visions of tomorrow's world.

12. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1974) - A comic twist on the Arthurian legend, the following dialogue says it all:

(situation: Arthur and his retinue are confronted by a killer bunny rabbit)
      LAUNCELOT: We have the Holy Hand Grenade.
      ARTHUR: Yes, of course! The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! 'Tis one of the sacred relics Brother Maynard carries with him! Brother Maynard! Bring up the Holy Hand Grenade!
      How does it, uh... how does it work?
      BROTHER: I know not, my liege.
      BROTHER: Consult the Book of Armaments!
      MAYNARD: Armaments, Chapter Two, Verses Nine to Twenty-One.
      BROTHER: "And Saint Atila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'Oh, Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large --"
      MAYNARD: Skip a bit, Brother.
      BROTHER: "And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thou foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.'"

11. Jacob's Ladder (1990) - This movie truly disturbed me. It still has the same effect years later. It is a psychological horror story without peer. A tortured man is caught in a middle-ground between hallucination and reality. Jacob Singer (Tim Robbins) is a Vietnam veteran who is haunted by a horrible experience in battle that deeply troubles him, though he can't clearly recall the details. THe Sixth Sense ending borrowed liberally from the ending in this film.

10. Mad Max (1979) / Road Warrior (1981) - These two films should rightly be paired together as they offer the first glimpse of a post apocalyptic world ravaged by war and the decay of societal controls. Max (Mel Gibson) pursues a murderous gang of bikers in a supercharged, fuel injected
      V-8 interceptor and exacts revenge for the death of his wife and baby. The second film expands on the first as Max now offers his services as a driver to a group of wasteland settlers merely hanging on to their humanity as barbarism descends on their fortress. A host of really bad post-apocalyptic films would take the Mad Max/Road Warrior formula and turn in utterly disgraceful efforts such as Waterworld.

9. National Lampoon's Vacation (1979) - Cheesy, shallow, but utterly hilarious. Chevy Chase's performance as a family man just barely holding onto his sanity during a foresaken cross-country road trip is one for the ages.

8. A Clockwork Orange (1971) - Based on a novel by sci-fi author, Anthony Burgess, it details a dystopian future in which the UK is overrun by cultured yet utterly vicious hooligans that imbibe milk laced with narcotics and speak a harsh argot of English incorporating Russian words and phrases. The story of Alex, a leader of one such gang, who murders a victim is told as he elects to undergo a "Pavlovian" treatment meant to expunge any vestiges of hostility from his personality in lieu of a life sentence. Left in this state and released to the world, he is unable to defend himself as each and every living victim seek vengeance for his past deeds.

7. The Matrix (1999) - So much has been said about this film that I cannot add anything else worth mentioning. It is not only revolutionary science fiction, it is evolutionary science fiction. The cyberpunk world introduced by the Bladerunner has reached its zenith in this film.

6. Contact (1998) - This film tackles very large issues such as communication with an extraterretrial civilization, funding and politics in science, and religion's role when it comes to interpreting the unknown. Based on Carl Sagan's only sci-fi novel, the film relates to us the story of Dr. Ellen Arroway - astronomer and researcher for a SETI-like program and how the world changes when what appears to be a genuine message from the stars is finally received. I was most impressed by the technical details in the film that could have been ignored if it were not for the input of real scientists on the film project.

5. Malcolm X (1992) - This Spike Lee film should have won an Academy award in 1992 for best film. The autobiagraphical story of slain Nation of Islam spokesman-turned-civil rights leader Malcolm X is epic in vision, scope and execution.

4. 2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968) - This film was so far ahead of its time that watching it in the actual year 2001 did not reveal any cues that would deem it "dated". This epic pushed the limits of narrative and special effects toward a meditation on technology and humanity. Based on Arthur C. Clarke's story "The Sentinel", Kubrick's and Clarke's screenplay is structured in four movements. At the Dawn of Man, a group of hominids encounters a mysterious black monolith alien to their surroundings. To the strains of Strauss' "Thus Spoke Zarathustra," a hominid discovers the first weapon, using a bone to kill prey. As the hominid tosses the bone in the air, Kubrick cuts to a 21st- century space craft hovering over the earth, skipping ahead millions of years in technological development only to imply that man hasn't advanced very far at all psychologically. U.S. scientist Dr. Heywood Floyd (William Sylvester) travels to the moon to check out the discovery of a strange object on the moon's surface: a black monolith. As Floyd touches the mass, however, a piercing sound emitted by the object stops his fellow investigators in their path. Cutting ahead 18 months, impassive astronauts David Bowman (Keir Dullea) and Frank Poole (Gary Lockwood) head towards Jupiter on the space ship Discovery, their only company three hibernating astronauts and the vocal, man-made HAL 9000 computer running the entire ship. When the all-too-human HAL malfunctions, however, he tries to murder the astronauts to cover his error, forcing Bowman to defend himself the only way he can. Free of HAL, and finally informed of the voyage's purpose by a recording from Floyd, Bowman journeys to "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite," through the psychedelic slit-scan Star-Gate to an 18th century room, and the completion of the monolith's evolutionary mission.

3. Glory (1989) - Edward Zwick's historical drama was one of the most emotionally affecting films that I have ever seen. The story of the 54th Massachussetts Infantry of all-Black soldiers is detailed in a manner that not only makes the audience care for all of the characters but imparts a supreme sadness when they fall in battle. Historically accurate yet entertaining in every degree - it is one of the war films that I have ever witnessed.

2. Carlito's Way (1993) - Carlito's Way is a tale of a former hood trying to escape his former life. Al Pacino is Carlito Brigante, a high-level Puerto Rican drug dealer sprung from a three-decade jail sentence after only five years, thanks to a technicality and his sleazy, cocaine-addled lawyer, Dave Kleinfeld (Sean Penn). Carlito renounces his previous ways and takes a job as the manager of a club that Kleinfeld has invested in, planning to save enough money so that he can eventually move to the Caribbean. But no sooner is Carlito back on the streets of New York than his old life claws at him in the form of both old partners (Luis Guzman) and vicious up-and-comers (John Leguizamo). Nevertheless, Carlito stays clean and even restarts his relationship with a dancer named Gail (Penelope Ann Miller), until he is finally led astray by Kleinfeld, who manipulates Carlito into participating in the murder of a Mafia don from whom Kleinfeld has stolen a million dollars. At that point, the race is on to see whether Carlito and Gail can escape his world for good. The film is based on two novels about Carlito written by New York State judge Edwin Torres. Being boricua, I cannot help but to put this film among the top five. It's almost as if the Tony Montana of the film Scarface survived to grow into an older, wiser, and more clever character who could still kick ass when things needed to be done. "Heavy Duty Mano!"

1. Ran (1985) - Aknowledged as Japanese film legend, Akira Kurasawa's best work, it is a reinterpretation of William Shakespeare's King Lear. The Lear counterpart is an elderly 16th-century warlord (Tatsuya Nakadai), who announces that he's about to divide his kingdom equally among his three sons. In his dotage, he falls prey to the false flattery of his treacherous sons (Akira Terao and Jinpachi Nezu), while banishing his youngest son (Daisuke Ryu), the only member of the family who loves him enough to tell him the unvarnished truth. Thanks to his foolish pride, his domain collapses under its own weight as the sons battle each other over total control. The story was enthrolling in every way and is only rivalled by the acting performances put in by every single character. It also contains a battle scene that will leave you stunned by the shear beauty of utter savagery. Not for the faint of heart, this film rewards on so many levels that I place it a the number 1 spot.

[Edited by RAN on 14th August 2002 at 23:46]

Comment

Ran I saw all those movies you mentioned...loved them too!!

And the reasons why you liked them were most interesting and true!!

Ecuajey, loved your list as well....well done....I am so glad I started this thread....Thank you.

And for a lovely elder gentleman who saw the Matrix a few months back on video due to my suggestions....I love your movies too...lol.

He knows who he is.

Suki

Comment

godfather trilogy
          is awesome
          and puertorican films
          ill say
          la gran fiesta
          linda sara
          la guagua aerea
          me gustan no solo por ser cine nativo sino tambien por que representan alguna parte de la historia de el pais
          la guagua aerea es bastante comica
          ojala hicieran mucho mas cine en pr

Comment

I like Scary Movie 1 and 2 American Pie 1 and 2, Superstar,
            The Craft, Never been kissed, Austin Power 2 and 3, Not Another Teen Movie, The new guy

Comment

I am more into the Romance, Comedy,
              and Horror Movies:

1.) Like Water For Chocolates:
              Imagine to make food and have everyone feel what you can feel from a drop of a tear, wanting the love of your life and not being able to have him/her.

2.) Legends Of The Fall:
              That movie really got to me.Three brothers and loving the one you can not have: To Die For! The drama that a woman can go thru.

3.) E.T. and Willow:
              Those are a few of my favorites:
              Fantasie is a great thing in life.

4.) East Side Story:
              Remembering how often I watch this one just makes me want to cry, the streets of NY, The Whites against the Latins, the musical and all the love from two people. I will always watch this movie over and over again.
              Beautiful movie.

5.) Bruce Lee Movies:
              I loved this man from the time he play in The Green Hornet, a
              serie in the late 60's early 70's...where he first started. Who here remembers The Green Hornet?

6.) Holloween:
              All of them.....Michael Myers has no heart at all.....but he doesn't give me nightmares!...Love them all.

7.) The Golden Child:
              Eddie Murphy...He is a very good comedian....he sure makes my belly ache from laughing.

8.) A Beautiful Mind:
              At first I was a little confused with this one, but as I kept getting into the movie I came to realize how the mind has so much control of our thoughts and how hard it is to get the mind back to the reality of life.

But my favorite ones are from Stephen King....I've watched all his movies...What an imagination that man has, Mysteries, suspense, and the creativity in his mind...I got to give it to him. I love to be in the dark for his movies...shhhhhhhhhhh

These are just a few of my favorites.
              But I can go on and on.

Comment

MY FAVORITES FILMS ARE...

All Bruce Lee's movies.Because he makes his fighting scenes look very realistic even know he really did had lighting speed punches.I also love all the films of Jesus Christ,The Ten Commandments with chalrton Heston because they have a lot of wonderful things that brings into life the things and miracles of God.I also like and enjoy watching terror movies like Omen,Predator,Aliens,Exorcist and others because many of these movies show realistic happenings.And,I also love and greatly enjoy myself watching ALL kinds of true documantories,wild life in general and Law Enforcement documentaries.
                GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT.TRUE SUCCESS IS WHEN PLANNING MEETS OPPORTUNITY! MEET LOVE HALF WAY AND THE JOURNEY WILL BE AN UNFORGETTABLE YET FULL OF HAPPINESS AND EVERLASTING ONE

Comment

To name just a few....

Romero-Raul Julia gave a most passionate performance as Bishop Arnulfo Romero, a man who dared to defy the establishment and who would pay with his own life. This movie made a Raul Julia fan out of me.

Becket-This movie had Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton. One of the greatest movies ever made. What can you say about Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole?

Stand and Deliver-Edward James Olmos plays Jaime Escalante, a man who left the corporate world to teach calculus in East Los Angeles

South Central-Gary Plummer plays a gang banger who while serving time, finds out that his son is shot while commiting a crime. This forces him to come to grips with his lifestyle and the consequences of such. The ending kicks butt.

Saving Private Ryan

Platoon

American Me

Scent Of A Woman

Enemy At The Gates

Dead Man Walking

The Green Mile

The Other Sister

Good Will Hunting

The Rain Maker

Under Pressure

A Time To Kill

Braveheart

Friday

Liar Liar

Carlito's Way

I Am Sam-Sean Penn should have won the Oscar

Kiss of the Dragon

The Hunt For Red October

The Crimson Tide

The People Vs Larry Flynt

The Best Of The Best

Coming To America

Primal Fear-Edward Norton should have won the Best Supporting Actor. He lost to Cuba Gooding Jr.

Scarface starring Al Pacino

NJ7070

Comment

Most of all I like films about mafia, gangsters, robberies, drama and of course tragic love stories. Strange enough, but I don't like comedies and films with happy finals.

God Father ….the greatest movie I have ever seen.

James Bond……the greatest spy of all times and dramatic new video effects and stunts with every new film.

Carlito's Way…..”A favor kills you faster than a bullet” – Carlito Brigante says it to his lawyer, his friend and….. god damn it!…… this turns to be right! It’s so bad, so bad. To tell the truth I was crying in the end when he was taken away from the train that could have brought him and Gail to their paradise.

The Story of Us…everything is like in a real family life. Love fades with time, but something appears that doesn’t let the two people, who had lived together for 20 years, part.

One Night Stand…..have you seen this movie? Oh, it’s so, so, sooooo unpredictable. I always envy the people who are watching this movie for the first time.

Devil's Advocate………Al Pacino is the Greatest Devil ever invented in the history of cinematography. In the end his monologue about God is just fantastic. And Vanity is definitely one of the most interesting sins in the world.

Frankie and Johnny………may be the most serious of the chosen here movies about loneliness and how difficult it could be to get closer to a man after being alone for a long time.

The City of Angels………a beautiful sentimental story about how an angel fell in love with a woman and gave up the heavens for love. And the heavens, the God, who “gives us a chance to choose” being an angel or being a human……punishes that angel for choosing the second.

Mars Attacks………one of the few comedies that I like. Its really very cruel movie in spite of the old lady conquering the violent (but so cute) Martians.

MIB……….another comedy that I like. Just funny with funny little and not very little creatures.

And I also like The Shawshank Redemption and I don’t wanna repeat what Ecuajey have already said about this movie…but I think the same.
                    SIEMPRE ROMANTICA, DULCE Y,............ETERNAMENTE SALVAJE.

Comment

I could just cry....

I just spent over an hour writing and explaining my list and the website ATE it up. LOST in cyberspace. All my painstaking words. AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHH!!!!

Comment

After the last Star Trek fiasco, I am totally DISILLUSIONED with Star Trek.

[i]However, the LORD OF THE RING series has proven to be multidimensional, not just shallow imagery like the rest of the movies.

I love movies with a real HEART:
                        • LORD OF THE RINGS 1,2,3
                        • GLADIATOR
                        • [/u]

Comment

Here's a quick, less wordy version of my lost post.

Favorites that come to mind, in chronological order:

1. Donavan's Reef (first movie that I ever saw that explored--in a small way--what it meant to be biracial years ago).
                          2. Bruce Lee films (cuz everybody including me was into Kung Fu fighting)
                          3. the first Star Wars and ET (because like others, I look up to the stars and wonder what's out there)
                          5. Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea (because it reminds me of good times with my kids when they were small)
                          6. Once Were Warriors (explores what happens to people who are oppressed and stripped of their culture.)
                          7. Sense and Sensibilities (because people do the right thing, even when their hearts tell them to do otherwise)
                          8. Shawshank Redemption (for reasons others have expressed)
                          9. The Color of Paradise (a beautiful Iranian film with a meaningful story)
                          10. Frida (she was a woman who did not let her own physical limitations keep her from going after what she wanted)

Comment

I like films that are political thrillers

My favorites are oldies (most of them):

Favorites:

1. Missing. It is about Chile. I remember Salvador Allende and I met his lovely wive at The First International Women's Conference in Mexico City; so great was the impression she made on me that I am honored to have lived during their same lifetime, shared the same continent and many of their sorrows about "Nuestra Patria Grande, America Latina"

Missing is a political thriller and is actually about a yong US journalist who disapeard and his father, played by Jack Lemon, a prominent New York City Businessman goes to Chile looking for his son. He is desperate searching for his son and one wonders how come no Chilean father is allowed into the stadium to look for his son or daughter dead or alive. The U.S. embassy and the CIA leads him in circles, up blind alleys and the father is told "If this was not your son, you would not care where your profits came from" (or something to that effect). You do not see what happened when George Bush Sr. and Henry Kissinger had Allende and 5,000 citizens killed during the years Nixon was President. We do know that the father sued Henry Kissinger and President Nixon. It does not give you a lot of information on Chile and Allende, you gotta have that to really enjoy the painful, shattering conclusion of this sad story which was true.

Mission. It is a political thriller of a different sort, the history of the Catholic Church, The Order of the "Jesuitas"
                            and the Indian Slave Trade. What I loved about this film besides the reality that not much has changed when it comes to the condition of the Indian Populations in the New World is the breathtaking beauty of the landscape. Rivers flowing through a dense rain forest, incredible rapids, haunting music, the colors. It begins with a river flowing and in its turbulence a martyred Jesuit priest bound to a rogh-hewn cross. The crucifix tumbles through rock-strewn rapids until, it plunges 200 feet down the roaring swirl of an incredible waterfall.

It is the powerful story of the Catholic Church and about the struggle of The Guarani Tribe in South America to survive slavering during the Spanish and Portuguese conquest. It is "Sweeping, lyrical, visually resplendent, The Mission triumphs on two levels: intellectually as a clash between fatith and greed, and emotionally as an action-filled clash of wills and cultures... It is epic, unforgettable storytelling at its finest." (Staring Rober DeNiro)
                            Foreign Films:
                            The Official Story. What can I say, I loved this film and las Madres de la Plaza de Mayo are in the news quite often because they have identified some of the children that were taken from them, and even if they could not get their children back because they had been killed, they have traced the DNA and found the Generals and Businessmen who had their grandchildren. I would like to see a book writen by one of these grandchildren and how they felt when they found out who their real parent were and what had happened to them. Great Drama.

Men With Guns. Not that old, compared to the other films. Again a great story of a Dr. who was a professor at a medical school somewhere in Central America or Southern Mexico, was not quite sure. He wanted to do good by training some students and sending them to take care of Indian Populations. They suffered the same fate as the Indians. Great Stuff.

As I think about others I will post.

Yautia

Comment

Awesome Movies!

Hey, I'll throw in mine:

Greatest Movie(s) of all time: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Next one coming out during Winter of 2002).
                              Tolkein was an amazing genius!

I loved Gladiator and Braveheart because they honor masculinity in a correct way. Courage, honor, integrity, heroic acts, standing up for principles, loving others, getting the girl (though she was killed), protecting your family, and goodness prevailing over evil (like Communism... ).

Others:

Matrix: unbelievable spiritual parallels!

Fight Club: Lots of true points which apply to our crazy world. Great acting by Brad Pitt and Ed Norton.

12 Monkies: With Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt. Mind games and twisted, confusing plot that plays with your mind. Sobering events involving biological warefare!

Prince of Tides: Psychodrama that cuts to the heart. Reveals how men hurt inside and possible healing.

Memento: Awesome cinematic technique that plays with your mind and constantly is throwing you off with surprises.

Chariots of Fire: Amazing true life story of famous Track Olympian who ran "for God!"

Hard Day's Night: The Beatles. Classic cinematographic effects before anyone was doing them. DVD version is fantastic! The "Let It Be" Concert is comming out soon to theaters once they strip the originals of studio effects in order to make it be as raw as the original roof-top concert was.

Dad with Jack Lemmon and Ted Danson. Amazing portrayal of three generations of dysfunctional men and their "father" issues and resolution.

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood: Even though this film has a slight underlying disdain for men (feminist), I would rate it very good. It is based on the book. It deals with multi-generational "sins" being passed on to your descendants. It takes place with a group of Louisianna "delta" women who make a pact. Good acting and plot.

Dead Poets' Society: With Robin Williams. Amazing soul-searching and inspiring story of a New England Prep school group of students.

The Emperor's Club Hurray for integrity and other family values! Similar to Dead Poets' Society.

Vanilla Sky: Tom Cruise, the other Cruz, and Cameron Diaz. Full of turns and twists. Many surprises. Similar to 12 Monkeys. Very good acting. Paul McCartney has a great song at end.

American Beauty: Very good portrayal of the vanity of life as we typically live it. Great acting by Annette Bening and Kevin Spacey (plus the Toby McGuire). Lots of issues and statements portrayed.

American History X: Amazing story about a skin-head (Edward Norton) who hates and killed an African-American. In prison an African American befriends him and turns his world upside down. He goes back to his Supremacist roots and then see what happens...

[Edited by AnotherRican on 18th February 2003 at 16:38]

Comment

Working...
                              X