What would PR's in the mainland do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree

I'd like to see the island run more efficiently regardless of the status. That won't happen because it is easier to roil up passions with the status than to offer solutions to real problems that while not as falshy, are more important in the daily life of people...

Comment

Cualquier estatus menos la falsa colonial del ELA

Comment

Originally posted by Yujike View Post
        Lets assume that Puerto Rico gains or is granted independence and becomes a sovereign nation in the year 2008? What would you do inmediately if you are a puertorriqueno living in the mainland USA?
        Well I'm going back to school, but this time in PR and become a teacher like you but I'm going to teach Brooklynese. lol. I'll contribute to society by stimulating the economy with my little buying power and make my little casita de madera so beautuful the Ferreteria will love me. Then I'm going to vote for someone who will make sure every damn criminal is off the streets so it's safe to walk again. Make sure those who are a menace to society are really reformed with actual reform programs (second chance) that work not just in trade but in social conditioning building up their self esteem so when they come out hopefully they become productive or at least no longer a menace.
        If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.
        Thomas Szasz

Comment

Originally posted by Yujike View Post
          Lets assume that Puerto Rico gains or is granted independence and becomes a sovereign nation in the year 2008? What would you do immediately if you are a puertorriqueno living in the mainland USA?
          Well, since I have been here in the USA mainland all my life moving to Puerto Rico would feel like moving to a foreign country. The times I visited the island I always felt somehow out of place. So I would most likely finish my days here in the USA. Not saying I like it here. Only saying that culturally I would have too difficult a time adjusting.
          My three kids would have even a harder time than me since they are not fully bilingual as I am. But I'm sure that hundreds of thousands of other Puerto Ricans now living in the USA might choose to move there if moving there after independence is attained offers them some type of advantage. What I find hard to conceptualize is the motivation. Cubans are facing a regime they find distasteful. So they are under forced exile. We in contrast are not. So assuming that Puerto Rico remains a democracy, what incentives would there be to make that decision?

Comment

Protect themselves from the ignorant crap Marc Anthony received in the Social Media after singing the National Anthem and being called a "dirty Mexican".

Comment

Working...
            X