RACISM IN PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RACISM IN PR

I was in Puerto Rico 2 years ago with my cousin. It was during San Sebastian festival.I'm black male and so is my cousin.The thing is Puerto Rico is a beautiful Island but it does have issues that needs to be resolved.We rented a car for a week and was stopped coming out of Isla Verde ave for allegedly speeding. I was doing 10 miles per hr. The thing is that we were surrounded by about 15 cops, each one that would pass by and join the scene.Our car was searched thoroughly, I was not even drinking, we were frisked,harassed and roughed up and not knowing spanish was worse.One cop, must have thought i was from D.R., began cursing at me in Spanish, he was literally in my face, luckily i did not understand all that he was saying.But trust me, it wasn't anything nice. I was so embarrassed because some guys from our hotel witnessed the fracas and next day I had to be explaining what took place. About 1 hr later we were released.No charges filed,no tickets, no nothing. I believe we were spared a beating because it was on bright isla verde ave at 9:30pm.The cops have all my info though.They could have sworn we were Dominicans or drug dealers.15 cops to 2 black men.Another time pre-9-11,leaving P.R. stopped by customs and asked where i was going. The sad thing is that all the light skinned puerto ricans were not asked these questions or even stopped. My girlfriend who is light skinned boricua didn't had to produce 1 document, but I had to.You Guys need to solve these issues. Were I light skinned,would this had happpened,dont think So!!!

I'm surprised.

I would have thought that in PR things would be okay for dark skinned people.

It seems that there is no where on earth that is safe for dark skinned people.

Comment

Im puertorrican and Im black colored skin, in PR their is alot of black people as a matter of fact 75% are black or tanned colored people. Ofcourse theirs racism all around the world but me living in the US for lots of years I think the US has more racism against blacks and hispanics no mentioning other ethnic groups than any other country ive been to. Theirs a huge population of dominicans and chinese people living in PR and I never heard such things like killing them and been treated like trash, not in my country.
      But I sure been treated like crap in the US, denegrated, discriminated and americans even called me wetback when I got stop by a police man. You may be asking yourself "why dont you go back to your country if u dont like the US?
      Well, I was born in Brooklyn, NY so that means Im an American and still have been discriminated by my own people,
      the years I was raised in PR I never had a problem with discrimination.

Comment

Ask any black person in Loiza if they feel they are discriminated against by other PRs and you will hear that racism is alive and well in PR. The people is Loiza will tell you about police harrassment, lack of priority by the government for schools, healthcare and housing. How they have marched to San Juan for attention and continue to be ignored.

There is no discrimination in PR......Right!

Comment

Sorry the terrible experience yo had in P.R. Although I do respect your point of view and understand that their is a a "somewhat" racism in P.R. never heard no one using racism as the excuse for something like this to happen in Puerto Rico. Therefore, I have to consider your experience as an isolated event.

We have laws against police brutality and abuse. Therefore, next time talk to your closest police station and/or at the hotel. They will help you to file a complaint. We need people like yourself to bring this kind of situation up for investigation. You may not see an immediate action but my experience is that the piling up complaints against same individuals (next time get badge numbers, last names, etc) pays off at the end.

Racism in Puerto Rico is another very complex theme that need a responsible in depth discussion. I heard there are some books published about it but my apology because I am not and expert on the issue.

Comment

VERY SURPRISED

I AM SORRY THAT YOU FEEL THAT WAY MANY OF MY BLACK FRIENDS HAVE GONE TO P.R. AND LOVED IT. AS A MATTER OF FACT WE ARE ALL GOING IN JULY AGAIN. I THINK SOMETIMES IF WE CARRIE OURSELVES IN A CERTAIN MANNERISM WE ARE TREATED THAT WAY.

Comment

Originally posted by dulceAMOR
              Im puertorrican and Im black colored skin, in PR their is alot of black people as a matter of fact 75% are black or tanned colored people. Ofcourse theirs racism all around the world but me living in the US for lots of years I think the US has more racism against blacks and hispanics no mentioning other ethnic groups than any other country ive been to. Theirs a huge population of dominicans and chinese people living in PR and I never heard such things like killing them and been treated like trash, not in my country.
              But I sure been treated like crap in the US, denegrated, discriminated and americans even called me wetback when I got stop by a police man. You may be asking yourself "why dont you go back to your country if u dont like the US?
              Well, I was born in Brooklyn, NY so that means Im an American and still have been discriminated by my own people,
              the years I was raised in PR I never had a problem with discrimination.
              75% BLack? Puerto Rico is now Jamaica?

You're an idiot.

Originally posted by thriller56
              I was in Puerto Rico 2 years ago with my cousin. It was during San Sebastian festival.I'm black male and so is my cousin.The thing is Puerto Rico is a beautiful Island but it does have issues that needs to be resolved.We rented a car for a week and was stopped coming out of Isla Verde ave for allegedly speeding. I was doing 10 miles per hr. The thing is that we were surrounded by about 15 cops, each one that would pass by and join the scene.Our car was searched thoroughly, I was not even drinking, we were frisked,harassed and roughed up and not knowing spanish was worse.One cop, must have thought i was from D.R., began cursing at me in Spanish, he was literally in my face, luckily i did not understand all that he was saying.But trust me, it wasn't anything nice. I was so embarrassed because some guys from our hotel witnessed the fracas and next day I had to be explaining what took place. About 1 hr later we were released.No charges filed,no tickets, no nothing. I believe we were spared a beating because it was on bright isla verde ave at 9:30pm.The cops have all my info though.They could have sworn we were Dominicans or drug dealers.15 cops to 2 black men.Another time pre-9-11,leaving P.R. stopped by customs and asked where i was going. The sad thing is that all the light skinned puerto ricans were not asked these questions or even stopped. My girlfriend who is light skinned boricua didn't had to produce 1 document, but I had to.You Guys need to solve these issues. Were I light skinned,would this had happpened,dont think So!!!

Then don't come to Puerto Rico.

Listen you guys, theres racism everywhere, but the least you will find it is in Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico doesn't compare to Cuba, Brasil, Argentina, Dominican Republic, Mexico, USA etc.

Comment

Originally posted by s3xy

You're an idiot.

Listen you guys, theres racism everywhere, but the least you will find it is in Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico doesn't compare to Cuba, Brasil, Argentina, Dominican Republic, Mexico, USA etc.

cuba is alot better than pr cubans know that there are lots of blacks on there island most puerto ricans in the usa don't even know there blacks on the island and they will quiz any black puertorican to see if they are lying or simply won't believe them! thats for sure and argentina has nazis
                dominican republicans have issues with being black but they are indian and spanish! or east indian!

Comment

Originally posted by stop
                  cuba is alot better than pr cubans know that there are lots of blacks on there island most puerto ricans in the usa don't even know there blacks on the island and they will quiz any black puertorican to see if they are lying or simply won't believe them! thats for sure and argentina has nazis
                  dominican republicans have issues with being black but they are indian and spanish! or east indian!
                  Well, go cry then...No one else is stressing it besides you. Thats too bad Puerto Ricans in the USA don't know there are blacks in Puerto Rico, is that their fault? Stop whining.

Comment

To Thriller 56:
                    I am sorry for the bad experience you had in my beautiful Island of Puerto Rico; Why didn't you report it to the higher authority? or took legal action with those cops...... I hope you're not lying to bring down my island, Because, we are black and white; the whole island is mixed, ask anybody in the island what does "I TU HABUELA DONDE ESTA" MEANS- please, check it out.....

I believed in education, in the home and in school....... Please, go back and give the island a second chance, you will loved it!!!.

I hope for the better next time you go..... Black to us is love, so, negrito have fun!!!

God Bless You and your girl friend.......

Truly- Bronx

Comment

Did this happen any time after Bernard Hopkins went to a press conference in Puerto Rico prior to his fight with Trinidad, snatched the Puerto Rican flag from Trinidad's hand, threw it on the floor and stomped on it? If it did then it's understandable that a certain animosity would still be felt toward African Americans. Actually, I doubt he would have done that in Mexico since his chances of getting out of the country alive would have been nil. Bernard , in contrast visited the island again and glared around defiantly as if looking for trouble while Trinidad decided not to show up in order to avoid him in his own country. So maybe, just maybe you reminded those officers of that incident.

Or maybe those officers had lived in the USA in a predominantly African American neighborhood where they were treated in a calculated degrading manner and were still a bit angered over it. I was once physically attacked by a group of African American youths on a Miami bus simply because they tagged me as Cuban. Here where I live I have been hounded and persecuted by African Americans for the last thirty years. My kids were made to feel like hunted animals, my wife barely escaped two beatings over trivia, my mother has been publicly insulted by young African American males . I have been threatened with death for defending her and my daughter. I can't have a car because they target it and break it. A real hell of an experience. So maybe, just maybe some of those officers were former residents of one of your fine African American neighborhoods where they were given the manure carpet treatment.

That having been said, I think you should have reported the incident since no one should have to pay for what others have done. That kind of behavior is inexcusable and is definitely not typical of Puerto Rican people who are known for their hospitality toward all regardless of race color or creed. My sincerest apologies for your bad experience.

Comment

Originally posted by s3xy View Post

You're an idiot.

Maybe this article will help clear things up a little.

Whites
                        Main article: Spanish immigration to Puerto Rico
                        In 1899, one year after the U.S invaded and took control of the island, 61.8% of people identified as Black. One hundred years later, the total of Puerto Ricans that identified as White was 80.5%, less than one percent more than reported in 1950.[14] The European heritage of Puerto Ricans comes primarily from one source: Spaniards (including Canarians, Catalans, Castilians, Galicians, Asturians, Andalusians, and Basques).

The Canarian cultural influence in Puerto Rico is one of the most important components in which many villages were founded from these immigrants, which started from 1493 to 1890 and beyond. Many Spanish, especially Canarians, chose Puerto Rico because of its Hispanic ties and relative proximity in comparison with other former Spanish colonies. They searched for security and stability in an environment similar to that of the Canary Islands and Puerto Rico was the most suitable. This began as a temporary exile which became a permanent relocation and the last significant wave of Spanish or European migration to Puerto Rico.[17][18] Other sources of European populations are Corsicans, French, Germans, Irish, Portuguese, Scots, Maltese, Italians and Jews, with many Arab Christians such as the Lebanese and Palestinians.

Sub-Saharan African/Black
                        Main article: Black history in Puerto Rico
                        Today 8.0% of people self-identified as Black in the last 2000 United States Census. Immigration of African free men who arrived with the Spanish Conquistadors, the vast majority of the Africans who immigrated to Puerto Rico did so as a result of the slave trade from many different areas of the African continent. Such as West Africans, the Yoruba[19] and the Igbo people.[19]

Amerindian
                        Main articles: Mestizos, Amerindian, and Taino
                        Amerindians and Mestizos are those who have a pure Amerindian descent or mixed ancestry between Europeans and Amerindians within the Puerto Rican context discarding the other definitions that this term may be used for under other settings. Amerindians make up the third largest racial identity among Puerto Ricans comprising 0.4% of the population.
                        Puerto Rican people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

that type of stuff is complete bogus, and its true that 30 percent of Puerto Ricans in PR look completely black, and around 40 percent have are either mixed or have some sort of visiable african ancestry, they mullato, and around 30 percent look white..

the census is complete bull ****, i have family memebers in mayaguez who say they havent seen a census form in over 40 years... the goverment is obviously bias, they suck up to america, they want to look more white so america would choose them...

also the social factor in pr, alot of puerto ricans who are black or mixed will vote under blanco, or euroupean spanish ancestry because they identify themselves with the spanish culture not with the african culture... they dont identify themselves with bieng black... thats why the census is like 8 percent black, 80 percent white, thats completely wrong, you dont even have to hear it from me, if you spend good time in puerto rico you can see that the census is clearly wrong...

also Loiza is not the only black area of PR.. the whole Eastern half of PR is mostly black and mullato, and my family is black and we are from the west coast mayaguez.. so there are black people all over pr specially ponce ( which is down south), and the eastern half of PR, including Rio Grande, Fajardo and alot towns that i dont remember thier names right his second..

im also a black skinned puerto rican, hell im pretty black... and im proud of it...

Comment

Justice Dept Report blasts Puerto Rico police

Justice Department report blasts Puerto Rico police - CNN.com

Puerto Rico's police department has a long pattern of violating citizens' constitutional rights through excessive force and unwarranted searches, the Justice Department said in a report released Thursday.

The analysis by the department's civil rights division found that the U.S. territory's police force is "broken in a number of critical and fundamental respects."

Puerto Rico's police department has a long pattern of violating citizens' constitutional rights through excessive force and unwarranted searches, the Justice Department said in a report released Thursday.

The analysis by the department's civil rights division found that the U.S. territory's police force is "broken in a number of critical and fundamental respects."

Between 2005 and 2010, there were more than 1,700 arrests of police officers on charges ranging from theft to murder, the report states.

Current police policies fail to guide officers, and there is a lack of oversight by superiors, according to the report. Training is also insufficient, it says.

Comment

Dude, I'm really sorry that you had such a bad experience in PR. I have to admit that many cops in PR are pretty hard core but you must understand the issues these cops deal with. They get shot at constantly & their lives are in considerably greater danger from gangsters than in the USA. Puerto Rico is much too tolerant of the criminal element, the have no death penalty & they accept a lot of foreigners. They have an incredible number of drug addicts & outsiders bringing in drugs, making a living off this horrible business. Puerto Rico is in fact very tolerant of outsiders in general seeing that the foreign element is seen as interesting to the women & they even get preference over home grown Puerto Ricans. You also have to understand the Dominican influence in PR is strong & very negative in that they have for the most part turned Puerto Rico into a playground for drug dealing. Them, along with the other Latin Americans such as Colombians. It is a huge problem. Meanwhile, the native Puerto Ricans just accept this & for the most part do nothing to eliminate the problems. Puerto Rican cops have what I think is the most dangerous beat in America. They get very little pay & are in constant danger. Look up on youtube the Puerto Rican cops being shot & you will see for yourself how dangerous the job is & how quickly it can turn deadly. Try to be understanding, this could have happened in NYC & you wouldn't have considered it a racist incident. But I wonder how many of these cops where black or mulatto themselves. It probably wasn't a racist incident but a incident of some suspicious foreigners. Obviouosly they thought you were Dominican, & not African American.

Comment

Working...
                              X