Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support When They Go To College

Hi

I have 2 kids ( or adults) that I pay child support in Puerto Rico- Ages 20 and 21- They both are going to College and i have been paying child support with no delays for 15 years-

My question is this-

At what age does it stop if they go to college? When they finish a BD or when they turn 24 or 25 which ever is the correct age?

Any help is appreciated
    Jose

Child Support and College Education

Originally posted by papote46 View Post
    Hi

I have 2 kids ( or adults) that I pay child support in Puerto Rico- Ages 20 and 21- They both are going to College and i have been paying child support with no delays for 15 years-

My question is this-

At what age does it stop if they go to college? When they finish a BD or when they turn 24 or 25 which ever is the correct age?

Any help is appreciated
    Jose

I believe that most courts have established that Educational Support shall continue until the child is finish with a four year degree, which can be as late as age 22 or 23; CHILD SUPPORT can also continue as the child is still in need of support when at home. At least in NJ, this is the policy that is followed. Unless the child is emancipated or has a child of his own, it is very expensive and difficult to challenge Educational Support

Comment

Thanks!

Basically is the same in Puerto Rico but until age 24 or 25- And yes, could continue if the child has a need and can't support themselves which is not my case.

Thanks
      Jose

Comment

There may be some case law

There may be some case law that addresses the issue of where the CHILD can ATTEND, which is guided by parental ability to pay; However, I suspect you can challenge EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT IF THE "KID" IS 23 OR OLDER and still has not finished his or her degree or is college jumping. Rightly there has to be limits to this. The laws are tilted against men in most states; there are also no rules to guarantee that the custodial parent will actually spend money on the kid and not on some cocaine at a party or for her boyfriends transmission work or perhaps a JUICY COUTURE bag. The other problem is nationwide tHE CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT INVESTIGATORS CAN HAVE UP TO 250 children on their caseload, even more. This is why the system is so slow; it is clogged to the limits with cases.

Comment

Actually I'm not trying to stop my help right now, I just want to know what is the exact age so I can request a cancellation when the time comes-

Yes, the law here require the student to have good grades and have good progress- My daughter is on her 4th year and so far not even one concentration class- Its obvious she is not having good progress-

Anyway, thanks for your help.
          Jose

Comment

Hi again,

ok, my question has been answered by a lawyer so this is an update for those of you that have the same questions-

If the kids are going to college and are having good progress is up to 25 ( when they turn 25) or when they finish their BD which ever comes first-

My daughter is starting her 5th year and she just started a new concentration which to my understanding that means she is not having good progress-

Reg
            Jose

Comment

Working...
            X