why i cant be accepted as a LATINO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why i cant be accepted as a LATINO?

wuz up boricuas! I have a question to all of mi boricuas, i'm half black and half boricua and why is it that i cant be accepeted by the Latin community even though my mami is boricua. It seems like i cant be accepted cause first of all my espanol isnt all that great and my skin is caramel, but i do have changing color eyes and long wavy hair. I JUST WANT TO KNOW! MUCHOS GRACIAS!

Oh please. My spanish is not perfect, good enough, but not perfect. I am darker than you, have curly hair, etc. It's more or less how you carry yourself and how much you REALLY are into the culture. Are you swayed more to your black side or your boricua side? Being the same as you, I sway more to the boricua side, maybe that's what you should look at in answering that question...

Comment

Delgado ur right it is how i sway myself to be, and i do want to be accepted by the Latin community, because i feel like a part of them as well as being black. I feel like a sway to both sides really, cause I like chillin wit my black friends, but i date Latina girls, so i guess i'm just Blatino!

Comment

Originally posted by cruisers64
        Delgado ur right it is how i sway myself to be, and i do want to be accepted by the Latin community, because i feel like a part of them as well as being black. I feel like a sway to both sides really, cause I like chillin wit my black friends, but i date Latina girls, so i guess i'm just Blatino!

Exactly. Same here...

Comment

You are biracial and bicultural... don't sweat it.

First off, accept that you are an individual and don't worry so much about fitting into a societal niche. Be happy with who you are and as you learn more about yourself and others, you will find out that folks don't fall into neat categories.

Just be you. Forget about the color, work on your Spanish and keep on improving your life in the ways that you see fit.

Comment

Imho

Originally posted by cruisers64 View Post
            wuz up boricuas! I have a question to all of mi boricuas, i'm half black and half boricua and why is it that i cant be accepeted by the Latin community even though my mami is boricua. It seems like i cant be accepted cause first of all my espanol isnt all that great and my skin is caramel, but i do have changing color eyes and long wavy hair. I JUST WANT TO KNOW! MUCHOS GRACIAS!
            To be very, very honest, I don't know why you wouldn't be accepted as a Puerto Rican unless you come through as a Ghetto Black.

Ghetto Black?

WUZ UP gives you away. If you include head rolling and hand movements, wear heavy bling, and a due rag like Hip Hop singers, then you won't be accepted no matter what you do. You might say, " Hey but what about Daddy Yankee? ". He gets away with it because he has $$$$$$$$$ and Its just a gig.

Knowing Spanish isn't a criteria, although it may be with some island Ricans, but its the black ghetto style what most Ricans don't like.

Just ask any Nuyorican.

Comment

Puertoricans are just americans born in PR. I don't understand the hype here.

If you want to be caracterized as a Puertorican all you have to tell people is that you are Puertorican, however puertoricans are nothing more than Americans born in PR.

Some say that you are puertorican solely for having puertorican parents but that is not accurate. If you are born in Germany of Puertorican parents you are still Geman or Deutcsh.

The last Puertorican person died a long while ago. All there is left is people born in PR that are indeed US citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by ForumBoricua.co View Post
                Puertoricans are just americans born in PR. I don't understand the hype here.

If you want to be caracterized as a Puertorican all you have to tell people is that you are Puertorican, however puertoricans are nothing more than Americans born in PR.

Some say that you are puertorican solely for having puertorican parents but that is not accurate. If you are born in Germany of Puertorican parents you are still Geman or Deutcsh.

The last Puertorican person died a long while ago. All there is left is people born in PR that are indeed US citizens.
                I guess you have to convince other Americans that you are as American as they are, don't you? But that's a hard one, isn't it? If it were easy you wouldn't be hiding in a strickly Puerto Rican forum, would you?

Maybe one day what you say may come true, but up to now , Puerto Ricans are viewed as a "tolerated type of other", if so, not much different from Hawaiians or American Indians. We can hit our heads on a wall a million times but nothing will change, they don't consider you one of them. If you also have an accent speaking English, it makes you more suspicious in Tea Party America.

Don't believe me? Check out the Gringo forums and see how well you blend in?

Comment

It is not on how they view you as a citizen or not.....it is how you view yourself.

I agree with you that many Americans don't even know that PR is part of the US. Who cares? I don't.

I serve my country well and pledge allegiance to the US flag not the Puerto Rico flag.

Comment

Originally posted by ForumBoricua.co View Post
                    It is not on how they view you as a citizen or not.....it is how you view yourself.

I agree with you that many Americans don't even know that PR is part of the US. Who cares? I don't.

I serve my country well and pledge allegiance to the US flag not the Puerto Rico flag.

That's like living in a bubble. You can't be part of something by yourself. if it were that easy I would say I was Chinese and who cares what other chinese think about it.

However, If you have kids that are raised in America then they are on their way to become real Americans. Gringos, like us, are very conscious of others living among them. but don't get me wrong, they will view you politely, but behind your back they will coment among themselves that you are not one of them.

That's why I assume you are here and not on a Gringo forum, because you might sense that. You might accept what I'm saying unconsciously but not consciously.

We work the same way, with Dominicans and Gringos who live among us. Either one can ignore this and live a lie, or accept it and go on with your life knowing the limits.

Comment

That's a very simplistic view of one's self...

The original poster may have been brought up in the urban core and culturally, he may be all hip-hop. I agree with ForumBoricua since how you perceive yourself affects how you present yourself in society. Case in point: Tiger Woods. Tiger woods could hold himself as an oriental or white, but in reality he's done neither. He allows the market forces to portray him as African American in the US, Oriental in the Japan market and he presented himself very much in the values of middle class America. He could have been the spokesperson for Cadillac, but opted for Buick... His clothing is very mainstream and not trendy... He has been savyy enough to be a social chameleon.

There is not prototypical puertorican physical type. We come in all colors. So, our OP can in reality project himself as a PR who happens to like whatever he likes and still keep it believable.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie319 View Post
                        The original poster may have been brought up in the urban core and culturally, he may be all hip-hop. I agree with ForumBoricua since how you perceive yourself affects how you present yourself in society. Case in point: Tiger Woods. Tiger woods could hold himself as an oriental or white, but in reality he's done neither. He allows the market forces to portray him as African American in the US, Oriental in the Japan market and he presented himself very much in the values of middle class America. He could have been the spokesperson for Cadillac, but opted for Buick... His clothing is very mainstream and not trendy... He has been savyy enough to be a social chameleon. There is not prototypical puertorican physical type. We come in all colors. So, our OP can in reality project himself as a PR who happens to like whatever he likes and still keep it believable.
                        You mention Tiger Woods. Bad example. Tiger has all the money in the world and he can buy himself into any group he wants. Although he rejected his Black Identity on Oprah, he didn't care a hoot about the fall out.

We here are a different case altogether. Most of us, although not on welfare per-se, aren't in the league of Tiger Woods either. If we were, we wouldn't be writing in a rinky dink Puerto Rican forum, would we?

I bet Tiger Woods doesn't care a hoot about writing in Thai or Black forums, he just does his thing with white chicks, not careing much about morals until he got caught. Its strange, how we Latinos understood his predicament better than hypocrite religious Gringos did. LOL

When you guys finally abandon this ethnic oriented forum and start blending into Gringo forums, then I think you're on your way of putting action where your mouth is, until then , sorry guys, you don't have too much consistent credibility.
                        [/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Working...
                        X