Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Puerto Rican Guy - Black Woman relationship work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Puerto Rican Guy - Black Woman relationship work?

I am a Black woman (educated, not ghetto at all and no attitude) in early 30's, single and very open to Puerto Rican guys. Why? I like the look, style, culture and dated a guy years ago and it was a great experience. I wasn't ready for a serious relationship at that time though so our relationship was brief.

I'm wondering though how do Puerto rican families generally take to a guy dating a black woman? Do you guys tend to relate more to white and asian women because of complexion/hair texture. I don't want to end up getting used at all just for sex. Do these type of relationships tend to last?

Just wanting some feedback!

Originally posted by MissLuvly View Post
    I am a Black woman (educated, not ghetto at all and no attitude) in early 30's, single and very open to Puerto Rican guys. Why? I like the look, style, culture and dated a guy years ago and it was a great experience. I wasn't ready for a serious relationship at that time though so our relationship was brief.

I'm wondering though how do Puerto rican families generally take to a guy dating a black woman? Do you guys tend to relate more to white and asian women because of complexion/hair texture. I don't want to end up getting used at all just for sex. Do these type of relationships tend to last?

Just wanting some feedback!
    Most of the responses you will get are sure to be positive. Puerto Ricans may possibly be the only group of people who truly celebrate their "blackness" and African roots. So much so that the term "Negro" carries a positive connotation in Puerto Rico, and is a term of profound endearment. Being called "Negro" or "negrito" is one of the nicest things a person can say to another in PR, regardless of that person's skin color.

All that being said, Puerto Ricans traditionally welcome and embrace black women, so long as they can reciprocate in like manner. Treat us well and we will be good to you. Most families will welcome a son's beloved one regarless of her skin color, so long as she has class, charm, a warm smile, and is not all ghetto.

Comment

Tipo

There was a Sandford and Son episode where the Puerto Rican character Julio invites Fred to a spanish restaurant and then while they are sitting at a table, Julio calls out to the latino waiter serving them something like "Oye NEGRO me puede traer un vaso de agua" [Hey Negro can you bring me a glass of water]; he says this in front of Fred Sandford who then asks Julio- "what did you call him NEGRO?"; Julio then explains that in Puerto Rico, NEGRO [which of course means Black], is a term of endearment used in an affectionate manner. At one point Julio excuses himself from the table and Fred is alone at the table; he decides he wants to call the waiter so he says, "hey NEGRO!" hilarious scene man!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonambulo View Post
        There was a Sandford and Son episode where the Puerto Rican character Julio invites Fred to a spanish restaurant and then while they are sitting at a table, Julio calls out to the latino waiter serving them something like "Oye NEGRO me puede traer un vaso de agua" [Hey Negro can you bring me a glass of water]; he says this in front of Fred Sandford who then asks Julio- "what did you call him NEGRO?"; Julio then explains that in Puerto Rico, NEGRO [which of course means Black], is a term of endearment used in an affectionate manner. At one point Julio excuses himself from the table and Fred is alone at the table; he decides he wants to call the waiter so he says, "hey NEGRO!" hilarious scene man!
        Funny you mention Sanford and Son. haha because I watch it often and I hate how he talks to Julio and the cultural jokes, to me it's not even funny but otherwise I like the show.

Thanks to you and Tipo for your response though, I hope to get more. I am open minded and am just hoping not to run into any family situations that may not accept me because I'm different.

Comment

Originally posted by TipoConSuerte View Post
          Most of the responses you will get are sure to be positive. Puerto Ricans may possibly be the only group of people who truly celebrate their "blackness" and African roots. So much so that the term "Negro" carries a positive connotation in Puerto Rico, and is a term of profound endearment. Being called "Negro" or "negrito" is one of the nicest things a person can say to another in PR, regardless of that person's skin color.

All that being said, Puerto Ricans traditionally welcome and embrace black women, so long as they can reciprocate in like manner. Treat us well and we will be good to you. Most families will welcome a son's beloved one regarless of her skin color, so long as she has class, charm, a warm smile, and is not all ghetto.
          ok, I got my fingers crossed in that regards!

Comment

we love Black women. My ex was black

Are you a Latino that loves Black women?
            Are you a Black woman that loves Latino men?
            Then join our facebook group which is

Comment

Hi...I came on this site curious about life in PuertoRico...it seems like a beautiful place to visit and culturally diverse which makes for good food.......it is very interesting read about to the political concerns.....and also about how some people feel about latino men dating or marrying white women....at first I felt maybe I wouldn't be welcomed here after reading some of the post....but I feel relieved after reading the above post....because I am a single African American woman ,a professional.... who is also attracted to Puerto Rican men...one in paticular....Benicio Del Toro.... he is truly... the finest looking man I have ever seen!.....I know that he just had a daughter with someone...but is still currently single....he seems like he's open and the type of man that dates "all women"....I don't know if he dates or has dated African American women.....but I sure hope he does...really I do.....because I am available....but getting back to the title post....from my perspective I definitely think that a relationship or marriage to a Puerto Rican man would work....the union between two creative, passionate and beautiful people(s).....

Comment

Originally posted by BUTTERFLY42 View Post
                Hi...I came on this site curious about life in PuertoRico...it seems like a beautiful place to visit and culturally diverse which makes for good food.......it is very interesting read about to the political concerns.....and also about how some people feel about latino men dating or marrying white women....at first I felt maybe I wouldn't be welcomed here after reading some of the post....but I feel relieved after reading the above post....because I am a single African American woman ,a professional.... who is also attracted to Puerto Rican men...one in paticular....Benicio Del Toro.... he is truly... the finest looking man I have ever seen!.....I know that he just had a daughter with someone...but is still currently single....he seems like he's open and the type of man that dates "all women"....I don't know if he dates or has dated African American women.....but I sure hope he does...really I do.....because I am available....but getting back to the title post....from my perspective I definitely think that a relationship or marriage to a Puerto Rican man would work....the union between two creative, passionate and beautiful people(s).....
                At first I thought, this lady is a little bonkers to talk about an un-accessible celebrity like that, but then I realized I feel the same way about baseball player Angel Pagan. haha

Comment

@Miss Luvly....well...I did say that I didn't know weather he has dated African American women....but I do know the answer to that....un-accessible....is he??...are you sure??....meaning that sometimes celebrities go to different cities....they travel alot at times....and some have dated regular professional or non-professional women......so...unaccessible.....I wouldn't say that....exactly.....people meet people everyday....and that's all I'm going to say about that.......

Comment

Working...
                  X