Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do puerto rican guys even like black women??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do puerto rican guys even like black women??

I'm 19 years old african american female living in Spanish Harlem NYC. I'm living in a puerto rican community and puerto rican men as well as other latin men from other ethnicities hit on me just as much as african american men do. Rarely do i see a black girl with latin men and i'm hesitant to get with a latin male because of that. I know when it comes to latin men, especially puerto ricans they have much pride in their puerto rican women and basically stick to puerto rican women, or other latin girls. It's common to see a latina with a black guy but i hardly ever see latin men with black girls. I would just like to get some feed back on how puerto rican men feel about african american women.
    ~Much Luv~
    MUAH

Hi Muah

I am a Puerto Rican man and I have been married to a black woman for ten years. We have two kids, who we love very much. I think the secret is to get pass the fact that you are black and he is latin and love each other for what you truly are inside. You also have to be open to take that other person's culture into your own because after all you share everything in marriage. Although I agree with you that I do see many black men with latin women as couples. My wife and I are not unique. We know of many other couples just like us. Having said all that, love comes unexpectedly from unexpected places, and chance plays a big part. There is no true guarantee who you will eventually end up with, but being at the right place at the right time helps a lot.

Take care and good luck.

Comment

Muah

I have to say that I do think it is the exception not the rule of thumb but it does occur. In my family I have some nephews that have married African American Ladies. It can work if both respect each other and value their relationship.

When love hits you, you work at it together to make it last. Usually you don't look at the color of the skin but what's inside someone's heart.

Good luck!

Comment

commmunity

Thanks you guys for the post. I dont feel that race should interfere with love. I'm wondering how the latin community looks at that. How would a puerto rican mother feel about her son bringing home an african american female. All races have certain values instilled in them from birth. And from what i've seen, puerto rican men, date puerto rican women. If you (not directing this towards any p.r. male in specfic) brought me to your neighborhood or your family, what would your "boys" think? What would your family think?

Comment

School Daze

I am currently dating a Jamaican woman who I really like a lot and met on this board. Hopefully, she will come visit me during spring break, although it doesn't look very promising at this time. My mother has made repeated inquiries about when will she meet her and so has the rest of my family. They all know that she is of African-American descent, but that doesn't bother them at all. In fact, most people know from my previous posts that my extended family has Puerto Ricans, African-Americans, Mexicans, and Anglo-Americans. I focus primarily upon the fact that Puerto Ricans in general are composed of native Tainos, Europeans and African slaves that were brought to the island. Being of mixed blood is the essence of our race.

The only reason why people don't or won't accept it is because society in general focuses primarily upon white or light-skinned people. So people try to emulate what they see. When you watch movies, for example, if it is a mixed couple then usually the woman is lighter and the man is darker. This is true even of black movies. For example, black men in movies generally are matched up with really light black women. Rarely, will you see a dark-skinned woman with a lighter-skinned black man, even on BET. I defer to Spike Lee and his movie "School Daze" for an explanation of this phenomenon. I believe that this concept is true even of Hispanic. I rarely see a dark-skinned Hispanic woman with a light-skinned Hispanic male. I believe that this is due to prejudice and societal pressure.

What did my family or friends say when I told them I was dating a Jamaican? Who cared!! It didn't matter to me because if they did say something to me about it, then I would immediately say that I am dating her and not them and if they don't like it, then that's too bad because I don't tell them whom they should date. If a person is so pressured by their family and friends not to date someone darker, then I would advice you to stay away from that person because in the long run you will only get hurt. You would need to look for a very independent person who could ignore family and societal pressures.

Nachos.

Comment

So it's bout skin color?

I'm confused, so is it the skin color that people are against "mixing" or the culture??? Whenever i got to washington heights (a place in nyc where the majority population is of dominican descent)i don't see any differences between myself and a dark dominican girl. My skin isn't dark, it isn't light but it has more of a brownish caribbean tone to it. People have mistaken me for a person of latin descent on numerous occaision. About everytime i walk into a bodega as a matter off act, the man behind the counter talks to me in spanish. When latin men look for a girlfriend is it that he is looking for someone of the same color (or a lighter tone) or the culture? I have a dominican friend who is darker than I am, and says that everyone in his family would call him "el haitiano" and make fun of his curly black hair. And that his mom would just die if he brought home a black girl orsomeone as dark, or darker than him. Meanwhile his mothers skin is the same skin color, if not the same than darker than mine. I really don't understand that. My mother's father (my grandfather) was mixed with white. Therefor my mother, as wel as my uncles and aunts all have a light complexion. Never was I as a child or now teased or mocked for having a browner skin tone then them. They always told me I had a beautiful brown complexion and beautiful dark hair and etc. It's disturbing to me to see how ignorant people of all races can be. In my oppinion race doesnt even matter, anymore to people, it's the skn color that matters. What do you guys think? When you go for women, are they generally of light skin or darker skin?...and why
            MUAH

Comment

I'M FROM BROOKLYN AND I AM PUERTO RICAN AND BLACK, I LIVE WITH MY MOM DUKES BUT WHAT EVA, I LIKE BLACK CHICKS, AND IF A PUERTO RICAN MAN DON'T LIKE A BLACK GIRL THE CRAZY CAUSE BLACK AND SPANISH IS BASICALLY THE SAME, WE COME FROM THE SAME PEOPLE AND WE BOTH GOT BODIES SO I'M SAYIN I AM LOVIN YA BOTH SO DAH YA GO AIGHT ANOTHER PUERTO RICAN MAN LOVING IS BLACK SISTA LOL AIGHT YOU ONE

Comment

Thanx everywun for the responses..I've noticed that the east coast, especially the tri-state area (ny nj and conn) seems to be a bit of a melting pot. Reguardless of race/religion/backroun. I've never been anywhere on the west coast before. The farthest I've ever been in the western direction is Ohio to visit family. So my question now is are interracial relationships on the west coast or in the south less common then on the east coast? I've heard many stories about the confrontation in California between african americans and mexicans and peronaly i think its horrible...does this also exist within the puerto rican community?(on the west coast)

Comment

Sister...
                  I am an African-American woman whose best relationships have been with Puerto Rican men. In fact my only child was born from this kind of union. In my experience, I have found that I was actually more appreciated for who I was by my Boriquen men, than I have ever been by African-American men. I think that Puerto Rican men are more in touch with the African ancestry that is a part of their heritage and culture. Don't let what you see on the streets deceive you.

Just my take on this

La Negra

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses, I appreciate them all and have learned from them. Before I was a little afraid to give latin men a chance because of the extreme nationalism that they have. I think I was intimidated because by me being African American, theres really no way I can specify my roots to a specfic country in Africa. What I do know is that my great great great grandfather was in fact a slave owner, and forced his son (my great great grandfather) to mate with the slaves. (my great great grandmother, as well a her sisters (my great great aunts) I was told that I was Native American but I'm pretty sure thats a lie. Not an intentional lie, but black people call their great decendents Indian(they mean Native merican) when they see features of long wavy hair, lighter skin and lighter eyes. Those are simply mulattos. If you are african american, or in touch with african american culture you know that almost every african american proclaims to have "indian in them." It could be true, but in most cases it's not. We use the Native American excuse t deny the fact that our african american sisters were rapped by white men, and had children in result of that. But ANYWAYS, i digress... instead of being intimdated by puerto rican culture (as i know many african american women are) I am learning to embrace it and also become nationalistic of puerto rico. Because within it, lies my hidden african culture.
                    *!~MUAH~!*
                    *everywun continue to post i love hearing everyones views on this*

Comment

Black Women & Puerto Rican Men

Girl, don't sweat it...it will come. I grew up in Brooklyn, Bushwick, Greenpoint to be exact and grew up with Puerto Ricans most of my life. I used to think that the men don't like us black women and basically it is not true. I got along with both men and women...they were/are so much like us, I don't see a difference.

I can see how you can be enamored with Puerto Ricans, aren't they a beautiful people?

Anyhoo, fate stepped in and I met my beautiful Boriqua on the J train on my way to my aunts house 3 days after the WTC event. I was looking out the window at the plume of smoke feeling totally depressed and useless and heartbroken when across from me sat my green eyed man who smiled at me.

How long ago that seems! Now, he and his 2 children live with me here in Philadelphia and we are expecting our own and planning our marriage. He treats me like a queen...I feel beautiful and sexy all the time.

Like the other posters....look pass the race of the person. I was used to dating AA men, and decided to open my horizons and I have never been happier.

Good luck and many blessings on your search!

Comment

Hi

Puerto Rican men do like black women. I am an African American/ Cuban woman and I love Puerto Rican men they are sexy and fun to be with. It is okay to date any one out side of your race as long as you feel good about it. If you feel the least bit worried about what other people are going to say, you really might want to reconsider going out with someone of another race. You should go on a date in the park or another public place and see how comfortable you feel with a Puerto Rican guy after the date you should know if dating outside of your race is for you.

Good Luck

Comment

GIRL, DON'T WORRY ABOUT A THING. I'M FROM SPANISH HARLEM TOO. I'M PUERTORICAN BUT MY MAN IS BLACK. MY GIRLFRIND HAS A PUERTORICAN MAN AND SHE IS ALRIGHT. GO FOR YOU. IF YOU ARE SINGLE GO AHEAD. PUERTORICAN MEN FROM PR ARE VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE NEWYORKRICANS. THE PRIDE IS THERE BUT THE AFRICAN AMERICAN INFLUENCE TOWARD US IS ALOT,MUSIC, CLOTHES,SLANG,HAIR STYLES. ALOT OF THINGS MAKE US ALIKE. THAT WE EAT RICE AND BEANS DON'T MEAN NOTHING CAUSE I EAT MY GREENS AND MACARONI N CHEESE TOO. WHAT PART OF SPANISH HARLEM YOU FROM? I'M IN NJ NOW BUT I'M FROM 108 AND MADISON WHAT UP?

Comment

Thanx mama for the advice, im at 116 and lex

Comment

Im a Nuyorican

I love African American women. Just as much as I love Puerto Rican women, or other Latinas. They are the two that I pretty much stick to. Still, I don't hate. European women are just as pretty, even some Orientals and so on. Though, I like the kind of attitude that are in African and Latina women. That's just me. lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X