• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black people deserve reparations.

Blacks Rally D.C. for Reparations

By JANELLE CARTER
    .c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Hundreds of blacks rallied in front of the Capitol on Saturday to demand slavery reparations, saying that compensation is long overdue for the ills of that institution.

``It seems that America owes black people a lot for what we have endured,'' Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan told the crowd. ``We cannot settle for some little jive token. We need millions of acres of land that black people
    can build.''

``We're not begging white people,'' said Farrakhan, one of several speakers at a rally organizers billed as ``Millions for Reparations.'' ````We are just demanding what is justly ours.''

While Farrakhan and Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., did attend, many major names in the black civil rights movement were absent, including the Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

``The people on the ground are the ones we want to give exposure to,'' said one speaker, Hannibal Afrik, 68, of Port Gibson, Miss. ``If it's grounded in the people, it will be victorious.''

Conyers, who has proposed a commission to study the institution of slavery for the past 13 years, urged the crowd to pressure Congress.

``Only the Congress can do what we want done,'' Conyers said. Lawmakers are now on their summer break until September.

The reparations movement has gained momentum in the past year.

Earlier this year, a group of slave descendants sued three companies, claiming the companies - or their corporate predecessors - unjustly profited from slavery.

The Reparations Coordinating Committee, which includes many prominent attorneys and scholars, is working on a separate lawsuit against the federal government.

Those at the rally said it was time for action.

``They owe us. I want justice,'' said Antoinette Harrell-Miller, who drove 19 hours from New Orleans with her husband Dennis to attend. ``They built this
    country off the free labor of our ancestors.''

Jaki Mungai of Philadelphia called the rally ``a dream that's starting to come true.''

``Every other group has been compensated for the wrongs done against them. Africans in America - we are the only ones who haven't,'' said Mungai, who heard about the rally on the radio and decided to join in.

Ken McDouall of Durham, N.C., one of a handful of whites at the rally, said the reparations issue ``cuts to the core of the history of injustice of America.''

``America likes to pretend there are equal rights for everyone but look at the history of black people,'' McDouall said.

On the Net:

Millions for Reparations: http://www.millionsforreparations.com

Am I the only person that thinks this whole reparations issue is a big joke?

First off, I think it's pretty sad that black people are supporting this. Aren't they insulted that the government is determining their self- worth with a monetary sign$$?

It doesn't make ANY sense at all. Why should one generation literally PAY for the mistakes of another. Plus, what about people like Derek Jeter? He's half black and white. Does that mean his Mother has to pay his father reparations? What about Oprah Winfrey- She's full of money, why should working class people pay her reparations? Should a person that migrated to America in the 1960's or 1970's pay reparations?

Yeah slavery was bad and it's difficult to accept that part of history. But now that we are in an ECONOMIC SLUMP and recession, it's ridiculous why this issue is being brought up NOW.

Only in America does this happen. Do you see Afro- Brazilians asking their government for money? No.

Any day now...

Comment

Brazilians should be asking for reparations.

The United States sends 4 billion dollars a year to the Nation of Israel for a crime that happened in Germany. The reason being is the fact that the United States waited until late in WWII to go into the concentration camps and it is believed that if the United States intervened early enough, then millions of Jews would have been saved. So out of the guilt of not intervening enough, the United States, despite its economic condition, unabatedly sends 4 billion dollars to the nation of Israel. So why not do something to the enslaved and descendants of slaves for 310 years of chatel slavery that helped make America as strong as she is now, for their labor? The US government has never issued an apology for slavery. What does that tell you, Loki-girl? All the problems that face the Black community is rooted in the effects of slavery that still exist today.

your brother and servant,

Hector

Comment

Not taking away the seriousness of past history but the payment to Israel I do not think it is out of guilt but out of political decisions relation to having an ally in the area. We tend to get caught up in things that past so long ago and we target one country for its involvement yet was it not other countries involved, those that sold them, kidnapped them. Why aren't those countries being looked at.

If we were to sue everyone in our families past that did wrong why not have the families of those missionaries killed in different countries sue for their deaths.

I then should sue Spain and any other that had actions in the killing of the locals of Borinquen.

People lets get down to what people want is money, and it is sad that they would use history as a way to get what really they did not suffer. I can see people that suffer being single out for their color to sue the person involved not an innocent that at the time could have been only 1 year old or not even born.

I belive in making reparation but to the person that had the crime done to them in a real time fashion not 50 or 100 years ago. Lets keep it real, please. Keep your heritage held high, show it off with pride but do not use it as a way to get money.

I hope I do not hurt peoples feeling but this is how I feel, we have become a Lawyer happy people and we think by going to court for every thing is better than to talk and resolve as human beings.

Comment

It's a load of crap!!!!!!!

Let me ask you one question??? How much will I get?? My father is Cherokee, Black Hawk, and "Black". My mother is "white", German, English and Irish. So...should I call it even!!!!!! It doesn't make any sense, just like the US Paying Israel. It just shouldn't be. It's all a bunch of ****, and it pisses me off. Quit makin' excuses and get a ****in' god damn job!!!!! Who said life was easy, humanity is slowly make its way to great things, its a process that will take so long my great-grandchildren wont see absolute freedom. This subject just gets me steamin'

Comment

Re: Brazilians should be asking for reparations.

Originally posted by MinFaluMuhammad
            The United States sends 4 billion dollars a year to the Nation of Israel for a crime that happened in Germany. The reason being is the fact that the United States waited until late in WWII to go into the concentration camps and it is believed that if the United States intervened early enough, then millions of Jews would have been saved. So out of the guilt of not intervening enough, the United States, despite its economic condition, unabatedly sends 4 billion dollars to the nation of Israel.
            We agree when it comes to Israel. I don't agree with The USA sending money to Israel. I one time said to my juden professor "The only reason why Israelis have one of the strongest armies is because the USA funds them." Of course you know what he said...NOTHING, because it's true. He just smirked. However , I'm not pro- Palestinian either, I do understand their concerns/issues but I don't stand on their side either.I just want that whole situation to be over with. I'm sure you can agree with that too, then we can all sleep well at night. And as for the USA sending money to Israel for the crime of Germany...tell me Hector, do you believe that the Holocaust (Holohoax) even happened? I have some interesting information on that if you ever need it, I know the links.

Originally posted by MinFaluMuhammad
            o why not do something to the enslaved and descendants of slaves for 310 years of chatel slavery that helped make America as strong as she is now, for their labor? The US government has never issued an apology for slavery. What does that tell you, Loki-girl? All the problems that face the Black community is rooted in the effects of slavery that still exist today.
            Why not do something for the descendants of slaves? I stated my reason in my first reply on your thread- main reason is it is defining black people's self-worth with a dollar sign. Also,
            You've got to admit it would be very difficult to determine who should receive reparations. So many years have gone by and many people have mixed with other races, in fact I bet there are people who don't even know they have a slave descendant.
            It would be interesting to know if any other country has given or even considered giving its 'slave descendants' reparations. (Shouldn't the Belgians give the slave descendants of the congo reparations? I read somewhere that the Belgians treated slaves the harshest)

I think it's horrible that the USA has never given an apology. Could the USA be ashamed? or just not care? I thought if anyone would give an apology for that would be Clinton- But he didn't.

Also, Yes the black community is still experiencing the effects of slavery. There is a "stigma" to being black in America...actually being black anywhere. I don't know if that will ever go away, one can only hope.

Respond Back.

Ciao.
            Any day now...

Comment

Reparations??? On account of what????

Before anything else is said, I think that people should be introduced to the term 'MALARKI'. Yep, malarki that's what this business of reparation is all about, a bunch of malarki. If reparations should be paid, what about the native Americans? They were here before anyone, and after a few years it was decided by someone that "THOSE SAVAGES SHOULD BE KEPT IN A CONCENTRATION CAMP". Oh, did I say concentration camp. Sorry, I meant to say Indian reservation. Now how would you like to invite someone to your home and all of a sudden you are not allowed in your own house.

How about the BORIQUEN/TAINO indians that were totally erradicated as a people, they deserve reparations too. People get real, this reparation business is nothing more than a ruse by some to take from the goverment. By the way, the goverment does not have a penny to their name, that happens to be our own money. The list of shameless acts against humanity is endless. Why make it worse by tagging a dollar value to the lives of those affected. My opinion is that there is no amount of money that could erase the harm done. But I also believe that a heart felt appology goes a long way towards the healing of the soul. So people stop thinking of lining your pockets with my mony, and get your butts out there and work like the rest of us and earn a living for yourself. Be proud, stand on your own two feet, extend your hand to help the needy and not to demand a handout.

Respectfully,

JD
              Boricua En Arizona :cool

Comment

I absoulutly agree

Well put!

Comment

These views is the reason why racism still exists in America.

I will do my best to answer each of you who replied to this post. For Loki-Girl, I do believe that a Holocaust occurred but history says that it was put on and financed by rich German born Jews, oppressing and killing the poor Jews. I do also know that the number of 6 million is an exaggeration. I would be interested in any information that you may have concerning the Jews and the Holocaust. As far as doing something in the Black community that is all I do. I exhaust myself working in the Black community. If I only had a handful of people working with the same energy as myself, we could overturn the conditions of our people overnight. As for Fausta and Boriqua en Arizona, the stand that the Nation of Islam has is not all about monetary compensation. We do believe that we should be allowed to gain a part of this country for us to govern for ourselves. Being that we were taken from our land, we should have some land given to us for us to do for ourselves. If you log on to http://www.noi.org, you will find what our objectives are. Every group of people of color have suffered at the hands of the Caucasian white man. All should be compensated. Some have been compensated. Such as some Native American groups, those Japanese Americans who were placed in concentration camps like they are doing to Arab-Americans right now. So the question has to be what is the criterion for those who receive compensation to those who do not? Black people do have jobs Fausta. Black people in America have a 800 billion dollar spending power, yet they are not able to organize to use that money to uplift themselves. Why? It is because of the physcological effects of slavery. So why shouldn't America be willing to do whatever she can to eradicate this negative effect? Why won't America right her wrong? Yes, the Native Americans have suffered, as well as other groups of people. But at least they have their language and culture. They know their history. The Black man and woman in America's history was robbed from them and is continuously being underminded in the American mis-education system. If you would take the time to research and learn about the effects of racism on a socio-pathological scale you will see the truth of the true impediments that exist in this country. If they are not corrected, then this country will head to self-destruction.

your brother and servant,

Hector

Comment

Hector my brother and servant!

If I promote slavery and hatred, I would assume that would include you and anyone else that thinks the reparations is a good thing. You only believe in racism in reverse. I am far from a racist, and believe that nothing will bring back your, mine and their freedom, but love, understanding and the ability to know the past and not repeat it. By the way I am very proud of my African-American couter parts, I just don't think they feel the same about me.

Fausta

Comment

Re: Re: Brazilians should be asking for reparations.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by loki_girl
                      do you believe that the Holocaust (Holohoax) even happened? I have some interesting information on that if you ever need it, I know the links.
                      I believe it did happen. Why don't you? What are the links? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Take your 40 acres and a mule. I see reparations as the ultimate form of "selling out". Yes massa government! We be good negroes if we get us a pay day! Yes, my ancestors paid with their blood and lives but a big ass check in the mail will make it all right!

Where is the self reliance that the NOI is so ready to claim?

People of african descent are strong, courageous and, most importantly, intelligent. Despite the dire situations that many live in today, guess what? We will survive and prosper despite the circumstances.

So all the good, Uncle Tom negroes line up and get your government reparation checks!

I still respect you, MinFaluMuhammad. But on this point, I could not disagree more.

Comment

RAN

They're having this same topic in another forum I go to and someone wrote about the 40 acres and the mule thing too, lol.

Also, could you decrease your signature size a little, it's a little too big. Thanks

Comment

Min Falu,

If are reparations are to be made to African Americans, who should pay? Should the goverment of the USA foot the whole bill? After all, it has been stated that millions and millions of Africans were transported to the western hemisphere. So many died along the way. I've seen the books, attended lectures, and viewed films on the the plight of Africans with regard to their journey to the western hemisphere. One professor quoted 150 million Africans as victims of slavery. It is indeed a holocaust of huge proportions. Even if 150 million is an inflated figure, I do believe that far too many shared this fate. Have you wondered about the complicity of the African nations in all this? There is no way that millions upon millions of Africans could have been captured and transported to the western hemisphere without help on the inside. There had to have been many kings and queens on the take. There is no way a foreigner can just waltz into a strange land and start putting the snatch on the locals without so much as a scintilla of a struggle. How is it that they knew where to go and how far into Africa they could travel. They needed guides to reach villages and other types of dwellings. Someone had to guide them, given the unfamiliarity of the topograghy of the African continent. I condemn America's involvement in the slave trade. I condemn the British, the Dutch and the other nations who were willing participants in one of the most horrible chapters in the history of the world. I can't help but think that they had people on the inside, if you will, that sold out their brethren. The scenarios on how this could have happened are plentiful. Maybe King so and so grew tired of the yoroba tribe in Nigeria and decided they needed to go. Judas Iscariot has many faces Hector and he has existed for centuries. He was there in Uganda, Nigeria and so forth. He must share the blame as well

NJ7070

Comment

Hector

I understand your concern about black people, however they have not been the only people victimize by society. If reparation should be made where will it stop? Just think about the chain reaction and the consequences. Money is nice because it gives us things we desire and makes our lives a little easier but it isn't the "all" of our live. At least I feel it shouldn't be the all. Our ancestors did suffer extensively however you are placing a monetary value on their lost. You can't replace lives with money however we can make an effort to remember what happen and make every effort to not have it occur again. That is how we can make the difference.

Breeding hatred and bigotry is what brought the suffering to all our ancestors, we can't condone it, however we shouldn't promote it either.

Much respect always!

Comment

Working...
                              X