• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27,000 AIDS Patients In Puerto Rico

More than 27,000 AIDS patients in Puerto Rico

Monday, October 7th, 2002.

PONCE
    (AP) More than 27,000 people suffer from the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) in Puerto Rico, placing the island fourth for this disease in the US, revealed the Fight Against AIDS, Inc. organization on Monday.

"Statistics until June 30 indicate that there are 27,347 AIDS cases in Puerto Rico. We are in the fourth place in the U.S. and its territories in AIDS incidence, said Ramfis Perez, executive director of the organization in a press conference in a hotel in Ponce.

Perez said most of the incidence of AIDS in Puerto Rico comes from drug users, with 57%, followed by 24% from heterosexuals and 17% of homosexuals.

"Those are the main causes for AIDS cases and the statistics come from the Health Department, Perez.

The leader of the Fight Against AIDS, Inc. said that more than half of the AIDS patients have died.

Ponce and Juana Diaz are among the municipalities with the highest incidence of AIDS.

Perez visited Ponce to announce the Third Olympic Gala to be held in Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m. in the Ponce Hilton Hotel.

Originally posted by Ecuajey
    More than 27,000 AIDS patients in Puerto Rico

Monday, October 7th, 2002.

PONCE
    (AP) More than 27,000 people suffer from the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) in Puerto Rico, placing the island fourth for this disease in the US, revealed the Fight Against AIDS, Inc. organization on Monday.

"Statistics until June 30 indicate that there are 27,347 AIDS cases in Puerto Rico. We are in the fourth place in the U.S. and its territories in AIDS incidence, said Ramfis Perez, executive director of the organization in a press conference in a hotel in Ponce.

Perez said most of the incidence of AIDS in Puerto Rico comes from drug users, with 57%, followed by 24% from heterosexuals and 17% of homosexuals.

"Those are the main causes for AIDS cases and the statistics come from the Health Department, Perez.

The leader of the Fight Against AIDS, Inc. said that more than half of the AIDS patients have died.

Ponce and Juana Diaz are among the municipalities with the highest incidence of AIDS.

Perez visited Ponce to announce the Third Olympic Gala to be held in Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m. in the Ponce Hilton Hotel.
    It saddens me, that these numbers continue to grow on a daily basis. Even more, that the few organizations that provide the services are not accessable to them to get the care that they need & the lack of transportation to get there. The outreach is poor, to include sex education. I have met with the Dir. de Dept de Salud of Puerto Rico on numerous occasions in Washington D.C. We focused on families and children, which is funded thru HRSA. If you recall several years ago, the thief of millions in Ryan White Funding. Just think about the thousands that could not recieve the services, and those that died because of this selfishness, greed, and corruption that takes place with no regard for our people in Puerto Rico. It's admirable of you to express your concerns regarding one of the most important social issues effecting LA ISLA del ENCANTO. I hope that you get more latinos to express themselves, as oppose to the bull**** that goes on.
    ADIOS

Comment

Originally posted by miguelito
      It saddens me, that these numbers continue to grow on a daily basis. Even more, that the few organizations that provide the services are not accessable to them to get the care that they need & the lack of transportation to get there. The outreach is poor, to include sex education. I have met with the Dir. de Dept de Salud of Puerto Rico on numerous occasions in Washington D.C. We focused on families and children, which is funded thru HRSA. If you recall several years ago, the thief of millions in Ryan White Funding. Just think about the thousands that could not recieve the services, and those that died because of this selfishness, greed, and corruption that takes place with no regard for our people in Puerto Rico. It's admirable of you to express your concerns regarding one of the most important social issues effecting LA ISLA del ENCANTO. I hope that you get more latinos to express themselves, as oppose to the bull**** that goes on.
      Thanks for your interesting input.

Comment

Working...
      X