Under Attack In Puerto Rico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Attack In Puerto Rico

I've been living in Ponce Puerto Rico for a few months now. I never expected this. I am so damn confused. At first everything was going great. One day I had an appointment. When I got there there was about ten people in front of me. Only one of the workers spoke english and her boss told her to take me. When she called me one of the ladies who was before me went ballistic. The worker told her that I don't speak spanish and her boss told her to take me first since she was not with anyone. The woman who was angry told the worker that this is Puerto Rico and if he cannot speak spanish he should take the next flight out. From that day forward I felt so unwelcomed here. When I lived in Massachusetts my wife and I used to rent out a basement apartment to people who came from Puerto Rico and wanted to make a living in the states. Sometimes some of them didn't speak a lick of english but I accepted them like family. I can't believe how depressing this is. Many people back home wouldn't accept me because I am partly hispanic and now here I'm not accepted because I can't speak spanish. What do they expect me to do , devorce my wife and move to the Himalayas mountains and spend the rest of my life meditating in a cave. I have never been an aggressive person in my life but suddenly Ican't seem to control my behavior. Maybe it is like a defense mechanism or something. Maybe I feel like if I act in an aggressive way people here will back off and walk away from me without saying something that would cause me to be totally out of control. I thought I had everything but when you don't feel safe nothing matters. Since that incident I feel like everyone is like that but I'm not sure if they really are or if I am projecting this on them and seeing what I myself have created. Doggoneit, I don't know what the hell to do.

What are You Going to do?

Originally posted by bugsie43
    I've been living in Ponce Puerto Rico for a few months now. I never expected this. I am so damn confused. At first everything was going great. One day I had an appointment. When I got there there was about ten people in front of me. Only one of the workers spoke english and her boss told her to take me. When she called me one of the ladies who was before me went ballistic. The worker told her that I don't speak spanish and her boss told her to take me first since she was not with anyone. The woman who was angry told the worker that this is Puerto Rico and if he cannot speak spanish he should take the next flight out. From that day forward I felt so unwelcomed here. When I lived in Massachusetts my wife and I used to rent out a basement apartment to people who came from Puerto Rico and wanted to make a living in the states. Sometimes some of them didn't speak a lick of english but I accepted them like family. I can't believe how depressing this is. Many people back home wouldn't accept me because I am partly hispanic and now here I'm not accepted because I can't speak spanish. What do they expect me to do , devorce my wife and move to the Himalayas mountains and spend the rest of my life meditating in a cave. I have never been an aggressive person in my life but suddenly Ican't seem to control my behavior. Maybe it is like a defense mechanism or something. Maybe I feel like if I act in an aggressive way people here will back off and walk away from me without saying something that would cause me to be totally out of control. I thought I had everything but when you don't feel safe nothing matters. Since that incident I feel like everyone is like that but I'm not sure if they really are or if I am projecting this on them and seeing what I myself have created. Doggoneit, I don't know what the hell to do.
    Bugsie, if you are feeling anger, and that is unusual for you, (from what you said), then I would opine that your anger is really a reflection of a 'fear' you are experiencing from your new surroundings and the stress of being considered an outsider in P.R.. Now, since you are part hispanic, it shouldn't be too difficult to learn some Spanish, either from a private tutor, or from recording programs that teach the basics of pronunciation and elementary grammatical structure.

It seems that you are interested in staying in P.R., for whatever reasons you may privately have; well alright, but you above all got to conquer your anger so that you don't fly off the handle and get into trouble with the law. You ought to know that the Napoleonic code is used in P.R., and not English common law, and that, therefore, if you get into such trouble, you will be considered guilty until you prove yourself innocent, and not the other way around as it is in the States.

Optimistically, perhaps, this might help you get innured to your new surroundings.
    E.1: TWO STEPS FORWARD, ONE STEP BACK - V.I. Lenin

Comment

Culture Shock Bugsie is common in many people

Many people can't cope with being thrown into a new culture. Torr59 in another thread on language wanted to be part of Puerto Rican culture without learning Spanish. This is absurd. I would not go to the USA and tell anyone never to learn English if they plan on living in the States. If you are going to live in China learn Chinese, if you are going to live in France learn French, if you are going to live in Puerto Rico LEARN SPANISH!!! Many dumb people believe all that cheap propaganda that states that in Puerto Rico (since we are US citizens) everyone speaks fluent English. Bullcrap!! Everyone who has to speak English and it is not their native language dreads speaking it. Even statehooders who are professional panzistas if they are born and raised on the island really prefer Spanish for most beaurocratic transactions. MY SUGGESTION is you learn Spanish and do not expect Puerto Rico to be a mini USA. IT IS NOT. No matter how much some pro Statehooder paints the picture.

Take care and learn Spanish. The experience will start to make sense. And now you won't judge new immigrants harshly in the future. When a whole country does not speak your language you can understand the frustration. LOVE Suki.

Comment

I am happy to see Eddie posting these thanksgiving days....lol

Your intelligence Eddie is soothing to the eye when reading. Take care. Suki

Comment

Never Said I Didn't Want To Learn Spanish

I never said I didn't want to learn Spanish. I've been exposed to Spanish ever since I met my wife in 1996. From that time until now I've only picked up words and a couple sentences. My wife is impressed because I can read okay in Spanish but what good is it when I don't know what I am reading. Some people are slow learners. Some people try to learn Spanish and never learn enough to be able to hold a conversation. A few times here I tried to communicate with people by saying a few words in Spanish so they will have an idea atleast of what I am trying to say. They always look at me like I am mentally challenged. This sets me on fire. Last night I was thinking. Is God trying to show me something? I started thinking of people like Charles Manson, Ted Bundy and other people who were removed from society. It seems that the real maker of monsters is society itself. Society rejects them and hurts them when they are young and when they finally snap they get removed. Society then points their fingers at them and condemns the monsters that they were responsible for making. You should see this character over here. Talk about trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Dr. whatever is name is, I forgot, he is trying to load me up with pills. Oldest trick in the book. You load someone up with pills until they walk around with a silly grin on their face with drool dripping down their chin. I am not going to be no zombie. I'm glad I'm going to Florida for a month. My God child has no rejection towards me. In summer she will be here for the whole vacation. Atleast I have that to look forward too.

Comment

Bugsie,

I went through the same crap in PR too.

Don't listen to those who tell you "it's your own fear" or "it's culture shock"...That's just a way of punking out on the fact that many Puerto Ricans have a double standard. Just try and tell a Puerto Rican in the states to "speak English or take the next flight out". They'll lose their friggin' mind. You'll be called a racist, a bigot, intolerant, yada yada yada.

It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the hypocrisy of those people who tell you that you need to speak Spanish if you're going to live in PR. I bet MOST of them wouldn't apply that same standard to themselves if they moved to the US.

My answer to those intolerant Puerto Rican bigots who would tell me asinine things like " estas en Puerto Rico y aqui se habla Espanol" was "If my mother can speak Spanish in New York, I can speak English in Puerto Rico".

My advice is to learn Spanish, obviously, but don't take any crap from anyone in the meantime.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving..to Suki and everyone!

Originally posted by oppressed_oppressor
              Bugsie,

My advice is to learn Spanish, obviously, but don't take any crap from anyone in the meantime.

First of all, thanks to you Suki for your kind words.

To Opps, I got to say that from what you said to Bugsie in the former paragraphs, before your quote above, makes your quote a contradiction. In short, it is not 'Obvious' from what you formerly said to Bugsie43.

But then what can we expect from a guy who doesn't know the difference between the rightists,the fascists,and the leftists, the communists?

Opps..so you got burned when you first went to Puerto Rico. I am not surprised with the 'ATTITUDE' you got!

HACIA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE BORICUAS,
              EddieR
              E.1: TWO STEPS FORWARD, ONE STEP BACK - V.I. Lenin

Comment

bugsie43

I'm guessing that the comment was suppose to be a bash on English, and not you. And she was also angry, so she had to place her anger somewhere and you were the unlucky soul. I'm sure if you spoke Chinese the lady wouldn't have made such a big deal, or maybe she would have I don't know!

All I can say is learning a new language, no matter what nationality you are, is great. I think by wanting to learn Spanish, I am expanding my mind, and opening myself to new experiences. You should learn Spanish just for those reasons and not guilt. You are who you are.

When I was in Puerto Rico this past August, I had great time. And most everyone I spoke to was absoulutly pleasant. I met people who spoke English and Spanish, and some that only spoke spanish. I never once felt a nasty vibe. Infact, when my friend and I were holding up a line at the Pueblo in Santurce for about 10min, we only got a few bad looks, and you could expect that anywhere! The man behind us even let us use his store card that gave us a discount!!!(to hurry us up I suppose) Even in the states, that could happen. So don't place your anger in Puerto Rico. Place the anger where anger is due, on ignorance, and hate, and a really bad day!! I just hope the lady realizes how stupid she looked and maybe she wont do that again. She not only made Puerto Rico look bad in your eyes, she made humanity look bad too. Don't let her effect so much.

P.S. I can't wait to return to PR, I'm losing my tan!!!!!

Comment

Eddier

You just can't get ONE right can you?

My advice to learn Spanish is just common sense. This doesn't mean that the idiots chastizing him for speaking English are right. I'd give the same advice to anyone who doesn't speak English who comes to the US. You are free to speak whatever language you want, but the convenient thing to do would be to learn the language.

And, it is YOU who contradicts FACTS when you align Naziism and Fascism with the right.

The right, by nature is opposed to more government. Therefore it cannot possibly be for fascism or naziism.
                  The left, however, is all about big government control, therefore being precisely in line with Nazis, fascists and other left wing ideologies.

Comment

And, it is YOU who contradicts FACTS when you align Naziism and Fascism with the right.

The right, by nature is opposed to more government. Therefore it cannot possibly be for fascism or naziism.
                    The left, however, is all about big government control, therefore being precisely in line with Nazis, fascists and other left wing ideologies.
                    What??????

Nazis and fascists are definitely the product of extreme right-wing ideologies. And the right, by nature is not oppossed to more government (you must be thinking about libertarians). The right wing in many instances seeks to legislate morality, etc... (ie. they are usually anti-abortion, etc...)

Comment

THE ONLY ADVISE THAT I CAN GIVE YOU IS TO JUST LET IT ROLL OFF YOUR BACK, BUGSIE! NOT ALL PR'S ARE LIKE THAT. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO LEARN SPANISH, NOT FOR ANYONE ELSE, BUT FOR YOURSELF. AS YOU CAN SEE, PEOPLE JUMP OFF THE HANDLE FOR NO REASON. EVEN SOME PEOPLE ON THIS POST. IT SOUNDS LIKE SOME OF THEM (OPPRESSOR) ARE JUMPING ON YOU TOO FOR NOT KNOW HOW TO SPEAK SPANISH.

IT TAKES TIME TO LEARN IT. I AM MOVING TO PR IN A COUPLE OF YEARS MYSELF BECAUSE MY HUSBANDS FAMILY LIVES THERE AND HE WANTS TO GO BACK. I'M ALL UP FOR IT BECAUSE I HAVE ALOT OF FAMILY THERE TOO. BUT BECAUSE MY PARENTS DIDN'T SPEAK A LICK OF SPANISH TO ME GROWING UP, I AM LEARNING FROM HIM BEFORE WE MOVE. I PRACTICE IT EVERY DAY WITH HIM AND OUR DAUGHTER. MAYBE TRY THAT WITH YOUR WIFE.

DON'T LET ONE BAD EXPERIENCE RUIN HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT NUESTRO PAIZ! IT'S A BEAUTIFUL PLACE AND THERE ARE REALLY WONDERFUL PEOPLE THERE.

IF YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING, WHAT PART DO YOU LIVE IN?

Comment

I agree w/ Fausta don't let one person mess up your whole experience! I'm going home to Puerto Rico in two weeks I haven't been there since 1995 and the time b/4 that was when I was 6 years old. Spanish ws my first language and then I had to learn english to keep up w/ the other children, my mother spoke to me in spanish once in awhile but we mainly spoke english in our home. Then when I went back to Puerto Rico to see my father and that side of the family I struggled alot to communicate w/ them. I knew the basics and a couple of cuss words, but I ended up speaking alot of "SPANGLISH". Since then I have brushed up on my skills from the help of family and friends. Yes spanish is the native language of P.R. but, there are a lot of bilingual people in P.R. so, there are alot of resources to accomodate everyone! From what I remeber there are chinos living there speaking chinese at Starcream! So like I said don't let that lady's bad day leave a bad taste in your mouth. Puerto Rico is one of the most amazing places in the world and you should enjoy every moment you're there, for those of us that can only experience it when we have enough chabos in our bank account to cover it.

Love, Peace, and lot's of tostones, lechon, & budin..........

Maricusa76 signing out!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Maricusa76

Comment

Dear not-so-iluminado

The right, conservatives, libertarians, and other smaller government advocates are diametrically opposite of Naziism, fascism, communism and other left wing ideologies. As a matter of fact, if you do a point by point analysis of ideologies, you will see exactly how close communism and naziism are, and how far away from the right they fall on the political spectrum.

You can keep living by your revisionist standards, but realists know what the difference between right and left are, and by their very nature, fascism and naziism are leftist.

Comment

Dear not-so-iluminado

The right, conservatives, libertarians, and other smaller government advocates are diametrically opposite of Naziism, fascism, communism and other left wing ideologies. As a matter of fact, if you do a point by point analysis of ideologies, you will see exactly how close communism and naziism are, and how far away from the right they fall on the political spectrum.

You can keep living by your revisionist standards, but realists know what the difference between right and left are, and by their very nature, fascism and naziism are leftist.
                            \

This is perhaps not the right thread for this discussion, maybe we could move it somewhere else.

Comment

"This is perhaps not the right thread for this discussion, maybe we could move it somewhere else."

:P you wanna take it outside?

Comment

Working...
                              X