Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    My very favorite book...

The Shipping News by E. Annie Prouxl (I was disappointed to find, however, that it's the only thing I've read by her that I like. Her other stuff just wasn't any good.)

Other favorite authors, those that are guaranteed good reads for me:

Isabel Allende
    Maeve Binchy
    Anne Lamott
    James Michener
    Kaye Gibbons
    Robin Cook
    James Herriott

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some of my favorites:

"Las Venas Abiertas De America Latina" by Eduardo Galeano.
    "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
    "The Underdevelopment of Development" by Andre Gunder Frank.
    "20 Poemas de Amor y una cancion desesperada" by Pablo Neruda.
    "La Fiesta del Chivo" by Mario Vargas Llosa.
    "Lo mejor que le puede pasar a un Cruasan" by Pablo Tusset.

Right now I am reading:

"Los Cuadernos de Don Rigoberto" by Mario Vargas Llosa and "Todos los Fuegos El Fuego" by Julio Cortazar.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    “The movable feast” by Ernest Hemingway.
    “Rimas y Leyendas” by Gustavo Adolfo Becquer.
    Right now I’m reading a bock about Vincent Van Gogh written by Dmitrieva.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re: Too many favorites to choose from....lol

Originally posted by Suki
    Too many books and not enough time....
    I feel the same way, I sit in the library and think, how am I going to read all these book. I would love to get my hands on each and everyone of them. I wish I had just a day to sit in a library and read, read, read. I haven't had much time lately, and the rum diary is the first book I have picked up in months!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sooooo

What makes a good book in your opinion? The books that have hooked me have always had some kind of major drama. I'm a huge hopless romantic so anything that makes me feel emotions I don't have on a normal day, catch me. I also love reading about history. It's weird I love to read about Nepolean and Alexander the great, Egypt too. So what in your mind is a good book. I'm not looking for a definition, more of an opinion.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Right now, I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez; an interesting read.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Too many favorites to choose from....lol

I love Charles Dickens, read all his novels...and Leo Tolstoy, and Laura Esquivel, and Isabel Allende, and lately Gary Zukav Dancing Wu Li Masters, and David Blaine Mysterious Stranger....and still reading Jung The Essential Jung....also reading a gorgeous limited edition with rare photographs in Spanish of biography of El Che Guevara. Also Jorge Castaneda's La Utopia Desarmada..and in cookbooks Frida's Fiestas....and also Candide by Voltaire...also a large volume of the History of Art....and a small book intense...about scientific matters in anthropology. And also Classic Mayan artifacts....in Guatemala. An analysis on the Popol Vuh and I want a good book on the Essenes....lol. I will get it in the mail soon. And I will be taking a couple of fun courses starting up next week. Lol. Too many books and not enough time....David Blaine book was surprisingly absorbing, fun and lovely. Never expected a book about Magic and a magician to be so entertaining and informative and touching at the same time. Quite satisfying.

Suki

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've always enjoyed historical novels. It's impossible to choose a fave, but the following titles come quickly to mind:

"The World Is Not Enough", Zoe Oldenbourg
    "A Distant Mirror", Barbara Tuchman

I'm currently reading, "The Honda Accord Repair Manual",
    by Chilton. :-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey

Mikhail Bakunin
    God and the State

He is quite interesting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm currently reading comic books

if that counts. Yet I just finished reading Batman 610, written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Jim Lee.

lol

Leave a comment:

• Fausta
    started a topic Your favorite book!

Your favorite book!

Wurthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Right now I'm reading the Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson. What book are you reading??
Working...
X