Does anybody actually live in Puerto Rico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody actually live in Puerto Rico

I am new here and hope to make many new friends. But I notice a lot of racism and anger. I am trying to seperate the haters from the actual sentiment of the people of Puerto Rico
    Having traveled to many latina countries, I have never actually seen the kind of racism that appears to be felt by the members of this board and I am hoping you all could answer just one question.

How many of you actually live in Puerto Rico right now?

it seem like most of the racism is by those that dont' even actually live there and I hope that is true.
    I am moving there in the next few months and I hope that the people will like me as much as I like them, even though I am white.....

mrniceguy37@yahoo.com

Originally posted by mrniceguy37
    I am new here and hope to make many new friends. But I notice a lot of racism and anger. I am trying to seperate the haters from the actual sentiment of the people of Puerto Rico
    Having traveled to many latina countries, I have never actually seen the kind of racism that appears to be felt by the members of this board and I am hoping you all could answer just one question.

it seem like most of the racism is by those that dont' even actually live there and I hope that is true.
    I am moving there in the next few months and I hope that the people will like me as much as I like them, even though I am white.....

mrniceguy37@yahoo.com
    Listen guy, you don't seem to realize that the Puertorrique/nos have been one of the minority groups most discriminated against for over 100 years by you hypocritical "mrniceguys" NOT!.

And as an introduction to your impending move to Puerto Rico, you sound your big tin horn about us being 'haters' different from the real sentiment of other PRs. You are trying to divide and conquer right off the bat, and are only setting up a strawman that deceives no one. All of us Puertorrique/nos have our own ways, which you will NEVER and HAVE NEVER been able to change to your ways. Our social, cultural, and language differences from nicenot will always define who we are, AND NOT YOU YANQUI CHARACTERS.

HACIA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE BORICUAS,
    Soy Puertorrique/no y Punto.
    EddieR
    E.1: TWO STEPS FORWARD, ONE STEP BACK - V.I. Lenin

Comment

Originally posted by Eddier1

mrniceguy37@yahoo.com
      Listen guy, you don't seem to realize that the Puertorrique/nos have been one of the minority groups most discriminated against for over 100 years by you hypocritical "mrniceguys" NOT!.

And as an introduction to your impending move to Puerto Rico, you sound your big tin horn about us being 'haters' different from the real sentiment of other PRs. You are trying to divide and conquer right off the bat, and are only setting up a strawman that deceives no one. All of us Puertorrique/nos have our own ways, which you will NEVER and HAVE NEVER been able to change to your ways. Our social, cultural, and language differences from nicenot will always define who we are, AND NOT YOU YANQUI CHARACTERS.

HACIA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE BORICUAS,
      Soy Puertorrique/no y Punto.
      EddieR

E.1: TWO STEPS FORWARD, ONE STEP BACK - V.I. Lenin

Comment

I am a bit confused by your post. There is racism on this board? There are differences of opionions and discussions on all kinds of subjects, including race. But I need you to point out to me racism.

Comment

You Will Find Out

Well, I live in The Bronx, Puerto Rico lol.
          Racism, well in this board you will find alot
          of everything. Racism? Point them out as you participate
          in the board!

Comment

mrniceguy37@yahoo.com
            Well mrniceguy37,
            you need to take a chill pill. With that kind of attitude, it's not gonna get you far at all. Why are you moving down there? Is it a promotion? It doesn't really matter. The point I want to get across is that when you're actually at "LA ISLA DEL ENCANTO," you'll see why. There are many Americans living down there. I just moved back up to the states after living down there for 4 years. Every American that I approached had not one negative thing to say about our country. It's a totally different attitude and enviroment and you will just have to see for yourself. Eventhough you are sensing a lot of racism on this board( I really don't know where) in order for you to feel welcomed, you need to change that attitude.
            For your 4-1-1, did you know why Miss Universe was held 2 consecutive years down in PR? Because of the hospitality. Never in history has a pageant that big held their competion in the same place twice in a row! So you see, you need to change your way on how you portray a Puerto Rican. Cuz not everyone is a "HATER."
            boricua-n-alaska

Comment

Hey!

I think what your getting is a lot of strong emotions and personal views on this board mixed up with racism. I don't believe I have met a "racist" on this board. But I can understand racism goes all ways, white to black, black to white, puerto rican to puerto rican, asian to arabian. Ignore that and focus on something else if it bothers you. Hope you like PR, and yes PR is beautiful, I hope to go back soon!!! Good Luck!

Comment

Ufffffff!

Welcome to PR.Com MrNiceGuy,

I see that you got all jumped on...jajajajajajajaja....but this is how it is here in this forum, we all talk our little minds and some might just take things a little too personal.....

Not many of us from this forum live in Puertorico right now and I for sure will not live there, sorry to say!

I do love to visit and enjoy the Island every couple of years, but as far as making it my home, I will have to think real hard about it.

As far as racism, we all have a little of that inside of us, whether it is about others or even our own kind....and that is the TRUTH!
                So if you all want to jump on me. go ahead, I am just being honest and I will not take it personally, PROMISE.

Good luck in Puerto Rico Mr Nice Guy.

Comment

Thank you all for responding

First off
                  thank you all for responding. I can always find value in what others think even if I disagree.
                  I have read and reread my post and I can still not see the "attitude" a few people refer to but, maybe some people are just more sensitive than others.
                  In anycase, I appreciate ALL your input and am looking forward to putting my best foot forward when I land on OUR island in the very near future.
                  Thank you all.

Your friend
                  mrniceguy37@yahoo.com

Comment

Well, you certainly "stepped in it", no doubt about it. But as for racism on this board ... I think it depends on how you feel about the word, "Gringo". Personally, I consider it to be a term of endearment ...

Comment

I was born and raised in PR and race was never an issue when dealing with fellow puertoricans or Americans who resided in the island. In our social circle race was never ever discussed. Then I moved to the USA and suddenly racial issues were a big deal! I would run into puertoricans born in NY and and noted they had an enhanced level of racial awareness which was not ever ever seen in the folks born and raised in the island. I am not sure why, but that was the case. Of course I then encountered some racism by Americans who felt all folks from PR were the same, ect, ect. In other words, they were into stereotypes and generalization. Initially I was offended, but then I realized it was ignorance. As many have said, my American friends from the island were completely different and understood there was the good, the bad, and the ugly in all ethinic and social groups.

BTW, Puertorican women are among the most beautiful in the world. Mr. Niceguy is in for a nice surprise!

Los recuerdos suelen
                      Contarte mentiras

Stanley

Comment

Stanley,

I used to feel like you do, both when I was growing up in PR and after I moved here. But sometimes we need a reality check to wake up and see what is truly going on. The next time you go to PR look around. It won't take you long to find signs of discrimination and social limitation due to skin complexion. This is an issue we as Puerto Ricans, just like anyone who can't hon up to an addiction, have to recognize, expose and deal with. Just ask yourself these questions: Are all Puerto Ricans equal? Are all Puerto Ricans afforded the same opportunities? Is everyone in Puerto Rico truly color blind?

Josť

Comment

Are you looking for Utopia? I agree, not all in PR have the same opportunities. Some jobs you can only get if you have a "pala". But, I have never seen a society where some sort of favoritism was not an issue. When my brother in law lived in Cuba he could see that food in the house of his aunt' an active member in revolutionary politics was more plentiful than in other homes where the head of the household was less well connected with the higher-ups of the Cuban bureaucrasy. It is the same everywhere, trust me on this one.

Regarding race: I never think about it when in PR. The few times I ever heard some racist talk was when a very fair girl dated someone with very dark skin and kinky hair, but even then the whole thing was eventually accepted as no big deal. Otherwise, I never hear anyone complaining that they did not get a job because of dark skin or that they were not well received in a neighborhood because of dark skin. However, I will admit to you that my view may be completely wrong as I may have encountered different situations than you have.

I will admit that since I was a victim of discrimination in the US I have become more aware of the issue in the states, but in PR, I don't worry about it. I once sent an application for a position who was not looked at because I had a Hispanic surname.

However, I know quite well that there are some things not available to me in PR because of lack of connections. But, as I said. this is true everywhere in the planet.

Los recuerdos suelen
                          Contarte mentiras

Stanley

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stanley
                            [B]Are you looking for Utopia? I agree, not all in PR have the same opportunities. Some jobs you can only get if you have a "pala". But, I have never seen a society where some sort of favoritism was not an issue. When my brother in law lived in Cuba he could see that food in the house of his aunt' an active member in revolutionary politics was more plentiful than in other homes where the head of the household was less well connected with the higher-ups of the Cuban bureaucrasy. It is the same everywhere, trust me on this one.

_______________________________________________________________

Dear Mr. Nice Guy:

Let us start with defining our terms. Negro is a bad word in the USA. But if you read the poetry of Pedro Pietri you will find Negro is a good word in Puerto Rico, at least in public places. Such as "Negro, que quieres comer?"

In the US I associate it with the struggles for civil rights in the 60's (I was a student at the UPR, Rio Piedras Campus, in those years, a young mother and working for Gulf Petroleum in PR, all at the same time, worker, student and wife and mother). I wanted to stay home and be a happy homemaker, but alas, such are the wayward dreams the dream catchers miss!

Later I had to deal with the mess in the schools and I remember Negros who wanted something to eat during the 60s in the US South.

A flash back to a basic lesson:

"Greensboro, North Carolina
                            February 2, 1960
                            Dear Jill:

I guess you've heard by now about those four colored men who staged a sit-in yesterday at Woolworth's.

I was there buying some thread, and I just stood around to see what migh happen. Well, nothing did, but it was a little tense to say the least. The colored ordered coffee, but Jolene, who was working behind the counter, refused to serve them. Jolene got so nervous that she dropped and broke a couple of plates and saucers.

Well those four just sat at that counter until the store closed. Then they got up and left. I wonder what will come of this? Daddy says there's going to be trouble.

How is everyone in Raleigh? Have you talked to Nancy lately?
                            Let me know how you all are doing,

Yours truly,
                            Frances"

The NAACP, The Congress of Racial Equality and others organized sit-ins, boycotts, marches, and freedom rides throughout the South. Many restaurants, hotels, theaters, and other public places were desegregated by the end of the year...yet not much has changed they are still dragging people in the back of pick-up trucks (only 5 years ago in Jasper, Texas), racism is alive and well, a little more suttle (sometimes).

Meanwhile we are doing passive resistance in Vieques because we have learned that is has proven to have some validity and is one effective means of protest for those of us who do not believe in violence.

As to the concept of "negritud" in Puerto Rico,

"the men they call me NEGRA because they love me and in
                            turn I teach them to be strong"

I forgot who wrote that part of a poem but it is New York City in the early 70s when I was a Bilingual Teacher in School and Community Relations in the Bronx for the NYC Public Schoools.

Paz para Vieques

Yautiawoman

P.D. Sorry Stanley, I do not recognize you, but yes, I was there and I graduated in 1970 the year Antonia was killed.
                            I was a student @Estudios Generales my mentor was Dr. Arturo Melendez and I owe him my formation as a researcher and as a Puerto Rican woman honored to have been a graduate of General Studies at UPR Rio Piedras.

Yautia.

[Edited by yautiawoman2 on 27th January 2003 at 03:18]

Comment

Dear Yautia:

Are you talking to me?

I was also a student at the UPR from 1968-71. Do you remeber the riots about the ROTC?

Los recuerdos suelen
                              Contarte mentiras

Stanley

Comment

Working...
                              X