Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

37% of Latinos Don't Finish HS. 34% Are Below Grade Level.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jonathan80,

I am glad to hear your education is going so well. The fact that another Hispanic (maybe PR) gets into Harvard grad school, etc. always brings a smile to my face. Keep up the good work.

Good post, I agree.

Josť

Comment

I am happy to see a fellow Puerto Rican who has gone so far.

I think poor education is clearly related to the culture and condition of the family and this is true in all races and ethnic groups. In my neighborhood all Asian kids go to math camp instead of sports camp in the summer. By the time they take math in school they know more than the teacher. This is all orchestrated by the parents. They all play the violin or the piano and academic achievement is heavily ingrained since birth. I am sure there are Asian students who don't do well in school, but those are not the ones coming over to the states.

In PR it is pretty much the same way. Both my parents were college educated, in particular my mother was a a teacher. Since childhood I always knew I would have a career, this was emphasized on a daily basis. You say that PR families also tell their kids to do well in school. But------ it is much more than that. Kids tend to do as the parents do. They almost never do as the parents say. My dad was a lawyer and I always looked up to him and I admired him deeply, same with my mom.

However, my grandparents were not college educated. In particular my maternal grandparents were profoundly poor. They had 10 children and lived in a two room house with a Laetrine in the backyardin San German. All 10 kids went to college (5 daughters became school teachers and the 5 boys became engineers at the Colegio de Mayaguez). I often asked my mother how come? What was so different about them in comparison to other poor families of that era? I am talking about the 1920s-1945 era. This was a time when there was nothing, if you were poor you were stucked. One thing that came out is that they were religious people---- my grandmother was very straight and rightous. They were also motivated to do well in school and the father preached education 24/7. I am not sure why they were so obsessed with education, but I always admired my grandparents.

In Puerto Rico and in many other countries there is something called "La Cultura de la Pobreza". In this culture education is not important, in fact it is not even a consideration. So I asked again: Why? What made my grandparents so special? I don't really know the answer----- I do know my great grand dad was the mayor of his home town so I assume shortly afterwards they must have fallen in very hard times and became extremely poor, but perhaps maintained their principles regarding education.

How do you put the education bug into a family? I don't really know, but it certainly happens all the time. Look at you and Josť. I also looked at my patrents and wonder how did they do it. In the end it was nothing more than hard work and pure determination.

But the question remains the same: Who is a minority? An Asian or a Puerto Rican?

Los recuerdos suelen
      Contarte mentiras

Stanley

Comment

Working...
      X