Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fashion religion.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A fashion religion.

    Are you uninterested in Buddhism? Do you meditate and burn incense? Do you think that all that stuff is just a fashion thing for Europeans Americans and other people who were not born in Asian countries?
    I guess the most of you here is CatholicsÖÖ.. so from your point of view do you think that Buddhism and Hinduism are the reasonable religions?
    I can tell you that I think itís all about the fashion especially when we are talking about the famous people. This is the fashion which was brought by the movie and pop stars and which now became the fashion of the common people. Itís not reasonable with all that lives after live. It is said in the Buddhism says that you can be born again as a potato and people will eat you. Ainít it funny?
    You know I read the poems of one of the Dalai Lama, that was translated into Spanish and I liked them. I talk about the 6th Dalai Lama and I donít remember his name. He was a special one, he had a lover and in his poems he said that the love is above everything in this world, even above the Great Buddha.
    SIEMPRE ROMANTICA, DULCE Y,............ETERNAMENTE SALVAJE.

  • #2
    Originally posted by bambina
    It is said in the Buddhism says that you can be born again as a potato and people will eat you. Ainít it funny?
    I, myself, am a Buddhist. I didn't become a Buddhist because it was "fashionable," or because some famous person is a Buddhist. If that was so, then probably I would've joined the church of scientology like Jenna Elfman or Tom Cruise. However, I understand what you mean.

    I don't think you do know much about Buddhism except the conventional views you see on TV or from the ignorant. First of all, no, you can't be reborn as a potato...a potato is already dead; ripped from its roots and ready to be cooked and eaten. You're reborn into what it was when it was alive, however, that only happens if you committed a great amount of sins while you were human or else you would've been reincarnated into a human being or one of the many gods of the man heavenly realms. There are many threads in the on Buddhism in the Philosophy section of this forum. Also, this website is a good start in Buddhist education: BuddhaNET

    Comment


    • #3
      [QUOTE]Originally posted by Ecuajey
      Originally posted by bambina
      I, myself, am a Buddhist. I didn't become a Buddhist because it was "fashionable," or because some famous person is a Buddhist. If that was so, then probably I would've joined the church of scientology like Jenna Elfman or Tom Cruise. However, I understand what you mean.

      I don't think you do know much about Buddhism except the conventional views you see on TV or from the ignorant. First of all, no, you can't be reborn as a potato...a potato is already dead; ripped from its roots and ready to be cooked and eaten. You're reborn into what it was when it was alive, however, that only happens if you committed a great amount of sins while you were human or else you would've been reincarnated into a human being or one of the many gods of the man heavenly realms. There are many threads in the on Buddhism in the Philosophy section of this forum. Also, this website is a good start in Buddhist education: BuddhaNET
      Ok, ok .....I admit that I donít know a thing about Buddhism and about the potatoÖit was just what one friend of mine, a Hindus, told me onceÖ.maybe he really was wrong o maybe it was just another joke of his. Thanks for correcting me.
      What made you to become a Buddhist and With All Due Respect to your choice; do you really believe that there are lives after death? I donít believe that there is even one life after death, I donít believe in the Hell&Paradise and Iím sure that we live only once.

      (May be you consider me just another non-believer, and may be you will be right. May be itís wrong but I donít care about this too muchÖ)

      ŅBy the way, could I see you at the ZonaI forum?
      SIEMPRE ROMANTICA, DULCE Y,............ETERNAMENTE SALVAJE.

      Comment


      • #4
        I did study a bit of Buddism and I have a couple of friends who are practicing Buddist (both Chinese).

        I like that it is a doctrine (I am not sure I would call it a religion) that seeks for the individual to obtain balance in life. It also has a long and rich history and teaches some values which are lacking in "Western" religions.

        My problem with it is that its methods to not ultimately lead to balance in life in my opinion. To be fair to Buddism (I know I will offend many here, and I apologize), I have yet to find a religion that does.

        But I am still looking...

        Josť

        Comment


        • #5
          There is no such thing as perfect religion. Obviously it is man made and full of flaws. Anyone who thinks his religion is better than others is fooling him and/or herself.

          However, we all have a spiritual side and sometimes religion (any) can be used to enhance these feelings. I am a Catholic and have learned to view my religion as part of my cultural background and upbringing. I recognized its flaws and have no disappointments. I enjoy what it brings to my life and I am happy to do the same things my ancestors did for me.

          Ultimately my spirituality is mine and only mine. Some folks jump from religious movement to movement looking for an answer that is already within.


          Los recuerdos suelen
          Contarte mentiras



          Stanley

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bambina
            What made you to become a Buddhist and With All Due Respect to your choice; do you really believe that there are lives after death? I donít believe that there is even one life after death, I donít believe in the Hell&Paradise and Iím sure that we live only once.
            Your comments didn't offend me, don't worry. As Buddhism teaches, I respect people of all religions and faiths and what I find special in Buddhism is that even if you're not a Buddhist, that doesn't mean you'll go to Hell like other religions preach. It all depends on your conduct in your human life. I grew up Catholic, but never really accepted the religion. (However, some of its mysticism and values still stick to me because of the cultures I grew up with.) I started to study many different religions a few years ago and last year my "journey" lead me towards Buddhism and things just "clicked."

            There could be lives after "death," but maybe there aren't. Maybe we all just have one life or maybe we will have thousands, even millions. Who knows, but let's enjoy this life while we can. Take care.

            Comment

            Working...
            X