Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are so many Hispanics living Hip Hop Culture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are so many Hispanics living Hip Hop Culture?

In my opinion people into rap music tend to be closed minded, people into Jazz culture tend to be opened to everything around them as far a languages and different cultures. Personally I believe the negative aspects (gansta rap) of hip hop outdo the positive aspects (Rock steady Crew of NY). I gave up hip hop music in 1991. I have loved Jazz all my life but now im a Jazz culture lover (American, Latin, Brazilian, afro-Cuban) If I can help it I never miss a Hispanic festival. I love the blend of music and language. Im sorry but the food never agreed with me! Please could someone answer this; what are the Hispanics seeing in hip hop culture when so many of us here in the United States feel rap culture is tearing down everything that would move any ethnic group forward.(EBONICS, WEARING CLOTHES 5 SIZES TO BIG, NOT READING BOOKS AND USING THE TERM NIGGA LIKE IT MEAN SOMETHING GOOD NOW!) As I went into the Puerto Rican area Philadelphia two week ago to see the Salsa festival, it looked more like a rap music festival! Unbelievable in the time I was there (1:00pm-7:30pm) I didn't see a single Salsa band from Puerto Rico on any of the two stages! The guy Huey from DLG was there! I have been speaking in Spanish for 16 yrs now so while I was still in the US Air Force I asked some of my Puerto Rican friends why they don't learn Proper Spanish and they're reply was "because it sounds corny" I say why take pride in a language and not want to speak it properly? Do they feel the same about their Island culture??? I donít speak British English but I prefer speak good English by American standards. Personally I say the American media is giving gansta Rap culture so much (TV, Movies, Radio) because it will never give people who live by it any kind of future. Again when rap was meaningful (before 1991) media didnít give it any airtime. How many of today top Rappers have college educations or know how to invest their money?? Don't get me wrong, there are Rappers who have done well (LL Cool J, Will Smith, etc) but most don't have a clue!! Any Hispanics that reads this post, tell me in your opinion why you think Hispanics in the states are now leaning more towards hip hop as opposed to the Island culture???

**ALWAYS GIVE GLORY TO GOD OUR FATHER**

Not all of HipHop is negative. There are still many conscious people out here who listen to it. Maybe there's not as much output of the positive stuff as before, but it isn't all bad. HipHop developed in the Bronx where Ricans and African-Americans grew up together.

I don't know about the closed minded comment. You must not know many folks into that. :-) I hold several college degrees and am working on another... I listen to all forms of music and travel the world... but, give me a good beat to bump to and I am there. That is my culture.

Comment

"Any Hispanics that reads this post, tell me in your opinion why you think Hispanics in the states are now leaning more towards hip hop as opposed to the Island culture???"

They are not leaning more towards it. They were a part of it from the beginning. Hip Hop is not a African American invention. It was born in the Bronx created by blacks as well as Ricans.

You have to understand the difference between a primary and secondary culture. Why is it that everyone mentally accepts 1st generation non-hispanic white assimilation into mainstream USA and not accept the hispanic ethnic person to do the same?

I was born into a culture of Motown, NY Mambo, Jazz and Pop. All those are part of the American Experience and Culture. All of them are part of my primary culture. Like all ethnics we inherit a secondary culture which is our parents culture. The more you succumb to the idea that we are still from somewhere else while the rest of white America is not...is nothing but total submission to diversion and misinformation.

If you study more about Jazz you'll find many contributions from Hispanics and Haitians as the roots of Jazz are from the Caribbean port of entry New Orleans.

Everyone has to start giving Haitians,Mexicans, etc. ... basically each other credit for the contributions to music.

http://www.smithsonianjazz.org/latin...ucation_tl.asp

[Edited by JaneMas on 20th August 2004 at 22:18]
      If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.
      Thomas Szasz

Comment

Puerto Ricans were always there, Most Definitely!

As I mentioned the Rock Steady Crew of NY (Bronx) has been there from the beginning. Check out their website and read their biographies at http://www.rocksteadycrew.com. In high school we as teens worship those Latin kids (crazy legs, Buck4, princekenswift) Back in the early 80s you had Charlie Chase and the cold crush brothers. DJ Charlie Chase was Puerto Rican. So as far as Puerto Ricans being there in hip hop from the beginning, Most Definitely! But trying to learn about the island culture from Hispanics born in US isn't easy. You have to talk to the older ones who are from the Island. As for Jazz, when I lived in NYC for a few years that is when I was introduced to the music of a Latin jazz masters named Tito Puente (God rest his soul). What I like most at the Hispanic festivals is how they keep the music the real. If you hear timbales, you'll see someone playing timbales! You hear congoís, you'll see someone playing congo's! None of that computer music stuff.

***ALWAY GIVE GLORY TO GOD OUR FATHER***

Comment

I Apologize for this Threads title

I Apologize for this threads title, I should have called it" WHY ARE SOME HISPANICS LIVING THE NEGATIVE ASPECTS OF HIP HOP CULTURE. Hispanics did play a big part in starting much of hip hop and Jazz. It is the negative parts of it that im asking about.

Comment

"But trying to learn about the island culture from Hispanics born in US isn't easy. You have to talk to the older ones who are from the Island."

But that is bound to happen with any group. Look at the Italians and Irish? They have managed to pass on traditions while forming part of the American (USA) fabric. The Mexican from the U.S. is different than the Mexican from Alcapulco. Two different cultures, yet bound by folklore traditions. The Mexicans in Calif, AZ, TX, etc. are of American Indian decent. Can't get anymore American (USA) than that.

What's to teach about the island culture if culture is constantly evolving just like language? What should we teach them? Reggaeton? Rock? That's what's there today. The average youth in PR say, "Quita es porqueria de salsa y ponga reggaeton y rock," The USA is a constant ever changing nation. It was never all white and will never be all white. We all seem to forget the traditions and culture of the U.S. is a blending of many outside traditions forming a new culture adopted by all including "White America." We all contributed to what defines America in music, arts, culture and food.

Ok so not the subject is changed. It's all right.
            If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.
            Thomas Szasz

Comment

Halle

As a working msician, I like mellow rock, country, bluegrass,and Polish Polka. I write ballads and mellow rock. I'm introducing my backup guitarists to the Cuatro and Musica Typica that my Dad played and sang. Non Hispanics who have heard this music love it. This poetic Puerto Rican Music is so immensely beautiful. Rap has never been allowed to be played in my house. It is vulgar music from what I have seen on videos qualifies my eviction notice o this "music".

However, we are living in a sphere where music from around the world is being introduced everywhere. When you talk about reggaton, it sounds like reggae. It is possible for this music to be reinterpreted in other places. It is pleasing to me that my family and friends in Puerto Rico still push traditional Puerto Rican music. We've also had a long tradition of listening to Mexican Music.

Yes, those of us who were born and lived in Puerto Rico do learn other things but we always come home to our traditions and have a great time. But I suggest we don't support any music that is vulgar, puts women or men down, or promotes evil of any kind. Let's keep our culture healthy regardless of where we live.

Comment

You're mistaken Babygirl

What about great latino rappers like Fat Joe, and Big Pun? Hurrican G :0 Whatcha know about that?

Holla back, somebody.

Girl, Mean Machine (latino rap group) put out the first bi-lingual rap song in 1980 or 1981.

My brothers and their friends listen to Vico C. & Ruben DJ, La Escuela, and anyone remember, La Recta Final these were in the late 1980's.

Comment

Leela: I like Big Pun, and Fat Joe has some nice beats

Leela: I like Big Pun(God rest his soul), and Fat Joe has some nice beats. But fat Joes lyrics are awful! And yes the rappers of the 80 were bringing in a new culture of music but these guys today! nothing but " my hoes, my money, my bmw, F*&# this and s*#t that". Its crazy!!

Comment

Rap Music And Puerto Ricans

Boricuas who were raised in an urban area like rap and hip hop because many of us grew up with this music and saw the evolvement of the genre first hand. With respect to gangster rap, I have always liked it musically and lyrically, to an extent. I will be the first to admit that some of it is excessively vulgar or obscene and I would not let my children listen to it.

Many of us grew up with traditional rock, hard rock, punk rock, new wave and other the other music types and have learned to appreciate it.

In the typical urban latino household you will probably find a large variety of musical artists. In my house hold you will find music from the Doors, Glen Campbell, Led Zepplin, B52s, Earth Wind and Fire, Snoop Doggy Dog, and Tupac. You will also find El Gran Combo, Gloria Estefan, Pablo Guzman, La Sonora Poncena, Cal Tjader, Carmen McCrae, Michel Camilo, Camilo Cesto, Tito Rojas, Hilton Ruiz, Tito Puente and hard to find Typical Music from Boricuas who live in Hawaii. You will also find everything in between. I believe, if we want our children to be open minded and accepting of others, music is part of this formula to open their minds. However, by no means should we let up on the teaching of our beloved boricua music. Teach them how to dance salsa and how to "pop" to the beats it will help them become better individuals.

In summary, you become that which is part of your development as a person. Whether we realize it or not, this is human nature.

Comment

Rap Music And Puerto Ricans

Boricuas who were raised in an urban area enjoy rap and hip hop because many of us grew up with this music and saw the evolvement of the genre first hand. With respect to gangster rap, I have always appreciated it musically and , to an extent, lyrically. I will be the firs to admit, however, that some of it is excessively vulgar or obscene and I would not let my children listen to it.

Many of us grew up with traditional rock, hard rock, punk rock, new wave among other music types and have learned to appreciate them.

In the typical urban latino household, especially in the US, you will probably find a large variety of musical artists. In my house hold you will find music from the Doors, Glen Campbell, Led Zepplin, B52s, Earth Wind and Fire, Snoop Doggy Dog, and Tupac. You will also find El Gran Combo, Gloria Estefan, Pablo Guzman, La Sonora Poncena, Cal Tjader, Carmen McCrae, Michel Camilo, Camilo Cesto, Tito Rojas, Hilton Ruiz, Tito Puente and hard to find musica tipica from Boricuas who live in Hawaii. You will also find everything in between. I believe, if we want our children to be open minded and accepting of others, music is part of the formula to open their minds. However, by no means should we let up on the teaching of our beloved boricua music. I say, teach them how to dance salsa, and how to "pop" to the beats, it will help them become better individuals.

In summary, you become that which is part of your development as a person. Whether we realize it or not, this is human nature.

Comment

NOT ALL HIP-HOP MUSIC IS THE SAME, LISTEN TO THE CRISTIAN HIP-HOP, LISTEN TO THE GOOD LIRICS NOT THE GANSTER NEGATIVE ONES. HIP-HOP IS NOT THE ONLY MUSIC THAT IS "BAD REP" IT ALL DEPENDS HOW IGNORANT A PERSON COULD BE TO LISTEN TO NEGATIVE MUSIC AND ACT LIKE A FOOL, NOT ONLY HISPANICS LISTEN TO HIP-HOP BUT ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE LISTEN TO HIP-HOP AND SALSA AND OTHER KINDS OF MUSIC. IF YOU LIKE SALSA, MERENGUE OR OTHER MUSIC, YOU CAN SEE THAT SOME OF THEM ALSO HAVE NEGATIVE LIRICS; FOR EXAMPLE EL GRAN COMBO SALSA HAS ALOT OF SEXUAL LIRICS AND MERENGUE,POP MUSIC, ROCK AND BALADA ALSO. YOU MENTIONED HIP-HOP AND HISPANICS, BUT WHAT ABOUT ROCK AND HEAVY METAL TALKS ABOUT SUICIDE,DRUGS,ECT., EVEN R&B TALKS ABOUT SEX AND BROKEN RELATIONSHIPS AND UNFAITHFULNESS. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH THE ONLY MUSIC YOU CAN NOT CRITICIZE IS INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC BECAUSE THEIR IS NO LIRICS, JUST HOW YOU INTERPRET THE MUSIC.

Comment

well..

Maybe cause they think there black? or just simple minded, and it's all they here. Hip Hop these days are unoriginal. Anything I like close to Hip Hop be reggaeton!
                          I just like to be a freaky Mo Fo with a hot dominican woman
                          or German, and grind behind their big nalgas, and do a luke, and lift one leg up, and the other. anyway forget Hip Hop Some grow out of it and begin listening to latin Music others don't. Like I said there simple minded and are in denial.

Comment

Brazilian Jazz Rhythm is second to none!

** Let them grow into JAZZ, rhythm for the mind**

Comment

Perhaps, the reason that there are so many hispanics-espercially Neoyorkricans, into hip-hop has to do with the black ghetto influence. Many of the Puerto Ricans from the first migration waves were very poor and so were many blacks in those days in the New york area. Traditionally, there has been somewhat of an affinity between the Neoyorkrican and the New York black. Anyways , hip-hop and rap are a black american invention. That type of music did not originate in Puerto Rico. That might be the reason why.

Anyways, I am not too crazy about rap music-its too vulgar for me. I imagine there might be some cleaner stuff out there but I have not heard any.

Comment

Working...
                              X