• Show
Clear All

Re: Yes! I too want diz que

[QUOTE]Originally posted by YAUTIAPR
    [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Da_Realest
    [B]
    Originally posted by Suki
    Da realest,
    The USA is the one that went out looking to acquire Puerto Rico we did not come calling on the USA. Read your history.

My aim is to make blacks wake up and smell the coffee. Everybody on this site smacks of the old South. You act like my intentions aren't pure. When black activists went to the South lots of whites said 'our negroes we're doin' fine till that Martin Luther King character came rowlin em up', and that's how most people on this site act. I guess I'm the rowler upper. But I will stop at nothing until I'm satisfied with my efforts. I'll take this to BET, Ebony magazine, whatever it takes. And when I feel that Afro-Latinos are visible then I will be satisfied. And I'm not alone. Lots of black Americans agree with me and lots of Afro-Latinos also.
    'I'm visible, I shine'-P.Diddy:

I too want to make blacks wake up and smell the coffee!

Let's see where shall we start?

How about the NAACP, you seem to be familiar with their history in the South, you know all those black activists?

Here is some reality news for realists:

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

"Today we face a renewed effort as the forces of racism and retrogression in America are again on the rise. Many of the hard-earned civil rights gains of the past three decades are under assault."

And Realist, how about posting some of them jobs by companies committed to diversity, i.e. blacks, black hispanics, (a black hispanic woman would be a real triple token!), and lets not forget about the Native Americans!

Lets have a real salute to excellence in arts, culture, politics and more, right here! (For Black scholars, black arts, black culture, politics, civil and human rights, of course!). Please don't bring candy rice, colon power, or repuke football heroes, its not about Uncle Toms or Tia Tomasas!). As an example, here is a diz que "Black" that is an excellent example of the people and those "Black Southern Issues" I like to work with: (Press Release, NAACP):

August 27, 2004

NAACP Chairman Julian Bond Calls For Election Protection To Defend Voting Rights Act

Julian Bond, Chairman of the Board, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), has called on Attorney General John Ashcroft to take steps to protect minority voters against practices meant to deceive or intimidate minority voters during the elections this fall.

Bond said a report on voter intimidation and suppression released by the NAACP and People for the American Way shows that deliberate efforts to deceive or intimidate voters into staying away from the polls continue to emerge in major elections.

The report, entitled, “The Long Shadow of Jim Crow: Voter Intimidation and Suppression in America,” documents several decades of race-based efforts to deter minority voters, including African Americans, Latinos and Native Americans from casting their votes.

Bond said: “We are calling on Attorney General John Ashcroft, state attorney generals, political parties and election officials everywhere to halt these tactics, to closely monitor groups in their communities with a history of voter suppression, and to send a clear message that America guarantees that every voter can cast his or her vote without running a gauntlet of hostile forces or dirty tricks, and that every vote will be fairly counted.”

Tactics cited in the report include; asking minority voters to vote on alternate days, demanding forms of identification not required by law to vote, the use of phony voter purge lists containing legitimate voters, and harassment of voters at the polls. “Minority voters bear the brunt of every form of disenfranchisement, including pernicious efforts to keep them away from the polls”, said Bond.

He said, “When the 1965 Voting Rights Act eliminated literacy tests and the poll tax, the enemies of democracy turned to other means.” This year, with widespread predictions of a close national election, Bond said, “We are reminding voters, election officials, and the media about the kinds of dirty tricks that can be expected. We must be prepared to confront and defeat them.”

The report said that in South Dakota's June 2004 primary, Native American voters were prevented from voting after they were challenged to provide photo IDs, which were not required by state or federal law.

This summer, Michigan state Rep. John Pappageorge (R-Troy) was quoted in the Detroit Free Press as saying: "If we do not suppress the Detroit vote, we're going to have a tough time in this election. African Americans comprise 83% of Detroit's population.”

Most recently, armed plainclothes officers from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) questioned elderly black voters in their homes as part of a state investigation of voting irregularities in the Orlando March 2003 mayoral election. Critics have charged that the tactics used by the FDLE have intimidated black voters, which could suppress their turnout in this year's elections.

Founded in 1909, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is the nation’s oldest and largest civil rights organization. Its half-million adult and youth members throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, conducting voter mobilization and monitoring equal opportunity in the public and private sectors."

Yes, my dear man, I too work for the NAACP!

Yautia

The NAACP fights racism in the U.S., I know. But the OAA fights racism in Latin America which is worse than U.S. racism. What non-black latinos want to do is sweep their racism under the rug and attack white American racism. Afro-Latinos face extreme neglect and it can't be kept quite. I can paste posts too.

WEB POSTED 08-10-1999

Afro-Latinos see common struggle for justice, identity in the Americas
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Jose Lara-Muhammad

SAN JOSE DE BARLOVENTO, Venezuela—In this lush green valley town, nestled in South America, approximately 90 percent of the population is of African descent.

It was the appropriate setting for the second International Reunion of the African Family in Latin America, held in July. Nearly 300 delegates from 20 countries, including the United States, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, and South America attended the gathering.

Delegates participated in an array of workshops about the social, economic, religious, cultural and historical battles Afro Latino communities face in fighting poverty, racism and invisibility. The workshops were simultaneously translated into Spanish, English and Portuguese.

The descendants of Africans in Latin America represent 40 percent of the poor in the region, suffer racial discrimination, poor education, high infant mortality, ethnic cleansing, and verbal and media image insults, delegates said.

All of the abuse occurs with the tacit approval of Latin American governments, who feel Black communities do not exist in their countries, delegates charged.

There was no international non-governmental organization to serve as a watch dog and advocate for these 150 million people, until the creation of the Organization of Africans in the Americas (OAA), which sponsored the reunion.

OAA Secretary General Michael Franklin has lobbied U.S. politicians, International Development Banks, the Organization of American States and Latin American governments to recognize and assist this long neglected and important group in the African Diaspora.

"What this conference has done is to provide a space in which Blacks are able to come together and talk about what their needs are, what their pains are, what their successes are, and this doesn’t happen very often," said Mr. Franklin.

"The second accomplishment is that Blacks in Latin America do not have programs where they talk about Black history, or Black culture or concentrate on themselves. But, in addition, we are also trying to fill that internal space, that emptiness relating to their culture, their history, and knowledge of who they are.

"Thirdly, Latin American governments do not support Black communities, therefore, the presence of the U.S. government here, with the ambassador, letters from the president, the vice president, and letters of support from major institutions from the United States shows Blacks and Latin American governments that governments can work successfully with Black people," Mr. Franklin added.

"Thank God for this conference, its sponsors and supporters. If African communitites in Latin America do not organize and their plight is not made known, we will have Kosovo-style ethnic cleansing at a continental level, but without the benefit of the media," said Min. Muhammad Abdullah Muhammad, national Latino minister of the Nation of Islam.

"Latin American governments are treating Black people past the stage of ‘benign neglect’ and into a state of ‘total neglect,’ which could lead to gradual extinction, if something is not done soon," Min. Muhammad warned.

His presentation was one of the most popular of the July 6-12 weekend meeting where startling facts were revealed.

According to an OAA report, Afro Peruvians are blatantly denied entry to night clubs and restaurants and suffer employment discrimination, where ads ask for applicants who look "presentable," a code word for no Blacks, he said.

"The per capita income of Blacks in Colombia is $500, opposed to $1,500 for the rest of the population," said Agustin Valencia, former representative to the National Congress of Colombia.

"In the Pacific Coast (region), 120 children out of 1,000 born do not get to reach their first birthday. Moreover, the Colombia Congress has granted collective title deeds for the lands where Blacks have lived for generations. But now these title beneficiaries have had to flee for their lives because they are being violently killed to steal their properties," said Mr. Valencia.

"Now these Black Colombians are relocating in the slums of Bogota, Cali, and Medellin, and the result is marginalization for the lack of housing and education," he said.

"The fundamental problem in Ecuador is racial segregation and racism, factors which impede the participation in the decision-making process of all human sectors. For instance, there are communities of 300 children or more without any school facilities. This creates a permanent underclass for lack of education," explained Wilmer Corozo Valencia, an attorney and president of the Association for the Development of the Afro Ecuadorian Communities.

"We are now organizing the community in a ‘do for self program,’ wherein family groups of 15 persons or more pledge to pay for a teacher’s full salary, until we form a group of six units. This allows us to provide education for Afro Ecuadorian children, until such time the government decides to assume its responsibility," he explained. In Ecuador, Blacks are approximately eight percent of the population and have no representation in Congress.

Community organizing and development, health and family issues, information, and community development in Black communities were some of the workshop topics.

"We have been successful in conveying to the delegations of the various countries the importance of organizing. We have also impressed upon their mind the importance of coordination and to fully recognize that in order to go forward, we need to present a united front," stated Francisco Campbell, Nicaragua’s representative to the Central American Parliament.

"More than ever today I am aware of who I am. Basically, what we lose is our identity. To reacquaint myself with my own roots, with myself, with my identity—this conference has fulfilled these expectations. The job that I have now is with my children and my family. To make them understand, to get the knowledge, so that they feel proud, and not miserable as they have made us to feel," said Hugo Martinez, legal advisor to Leopoldo Baquerizo, a representative in the Ecuadorian Congress.

The conference received congratulatory letters from many notables, including President Clinton and Vice President Gore, and Dr. Hedy Fry, Canada’s secretary of state.

The reunion’s inaugural ceremony was attended by U.S. Ambassador to Venezuela John Maisto; the Hon. Lionel Alexander Hurst, Antigua and Barbados’s ambassador to the United States and Organization of American States; Mayor Modesta Ruiz of Barlovento; and John Dennison, representating Canada’s secretary of state; Min. Abdullah Muhammad, National Latino Minister of the Nation of Islam; Francisco Campbell, Nicaragua’s representative to the Central American Parliament; Jena Roscoe, a White House special assistant; Zenaida Mendez, aide to N.Y. Rep. Charles Rangel; Lisa Mari Mallory, of Vice President Gore’s staff; Runoko Rashidi, a Black American historian; and Rodolfo Moreno Mina, a member of Columbia’s Congress.

"We have had the opportunity to share with people of African descent from all over Latin America, and now we are aware of what is going on in each country pertaining to Black people," said Ms. Mendez, who is of Dominican heritige.

"We are the eyes and ears for the president on our constituencies. We wanted the Afro Latino community to know that, from the United States Government’s stand point, we acknowledge that there is an Afro Latino constituency. We support the efforts that OAA is doing in the United States and in the Americas, we want to try to support some of these initiatives," added Ms. Roscoe, associate director for African American Outreach in the White House Office for Public Liaison.

Each evening the Black Family was entertained by different Afro American musical and dance expressions from participating countries. An echo resounding in the air to the beat of African drums was finally the Afro Latino American family is getting together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ FRONT PAGE | NATIONAL | WORLD | PERSPECTIVES
    | COLUMNS | FCN STORE | SEARCH | SUBSCRIBE ]

[ about FCN Online | contact us / letters | CREDITS ]

FCN ONLINE TERMS OF SERVICE

Send technical related correspondence to: webmaster@finalcall.com

Copyright © 1999 FCN Publishing

" Pooling our resources and doing for self "

Comment

The NAACP USED TO fight racism, now they PRACTICE it.

The NAACP of today is NOT the NAACP of the civil rights era. Today's NAACP "leaders" are race baiting anti-white bigots. They use fear of the "evil white oppressor" (read as Republicans) to keep their plantation slaves loyal to the leftist/racist causes they promote.

They keep African-Americans in line by cracking the whip for their Liberal White Masters. The NAACP is truly the organization of Uncle Toms and race traitors. They make sure "them negroes votes fo' da Democrat massah" so that the house negroes of the NAACP can reap their rewards for "bein' good 'n faithful house negroes to da White Liberal Massah".

That's right, as long as the NAACP keeps them Democratic votes comining in 90% for Democrats, they'll make sure and keep Jesse and Al and Julian and Kwase in nice suits and on TV.

But let not ONE Black American stray from the massah's house, when the good lil houseboys like Julian and Kwaze jump all over them and accuse them of being the very thing THEY are...sell-out Uncle Toms, who put their politics ahead of the good of the Black community.

Comment

Racial Identification and Politics of Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans. Very informative

Originally posted by Da_Realest
        First off I would like to say LOL! Your being frustrated with me is quite laughable. You say that I'm the one who's beating a dead horse, I just comment on it. I usually never post, I just see you all on here talking about how the U.S. is so racist and I am entitled to voice my opinions. You always dodge me. Why? I point out the absence of Afro-Puerto Rican government officials and the best you can come up with is 'I had a black step mother'. I look at the facts. Everyone on here also dodged the fact that 81% of Puerto Ricans claimed to be white on the 2000 Census. That's the majority. So I'm not saying all Puerto Ricans feel this way, just the majority. You may very well not be in the majority.

Now you ask me what my point is? Well you know the words existing and living have an affinity, but they're not the same. No, living has a much greater meaning. To exist means that you're there, it means you're present. Toasters exist, televisions exist, but they don't live. It's time for Afro-Latinos to start living more. They should play a larger role in the government, they should have a larger role in the Latino community in general. And if you consider me wrong for thinking that then I guess I'm wrong in your eyes.

Another thing, you seem to want testimonials from Afro-Latinos. I can get those for you. How about Kelvin A. Santiago-Valles? He's a Puerto Rican and an Associate Professor of Sociology, of Africana studies and of Latin American and Carribean Area Studies at Binghamton University-State University of New York. You should read his chapter on Puerto Rico in No Longer Invisible. He talks about how blacks commit most of the crimes in Puerto Rico due to disadvantages, he talks about a black woman named Adolfina Villanueva, who was gunned down by Puerto Rican policemen, he talks about the derogatory word, cocolo or whatever. There are testimonials from black Puerto Ricans who claim that race, more than anything else is the cause of their disadvantages. Are you calling them liars? Surely you wouldn't call a Puerto Rican scholar a liar. I can't expect you to look at it from a black persons point of view but atleast try.

Oh, and I have a question, if Puerto Ricans are so united then why did the 'Encuentro de Mujeres Negras de Latinoamerica y del caribe' take place. If everyone really has the same advantages and disadvantagese why did they have to organize? One more thing, remember what Malcolm X said. 'Sitting down at a table does not make you a diner'. Just because they're there doesn't mean they get accepted.

[Edited by Da_Realest on 30th September 2004 at 07:23]

Ok, I'd like to start by saying I respect all of your opinions but a lot of your views seem really confusing. This is a long message, but very informative so please read. When you speak of racial identiciation it is politics. Therefore, you have to be as non-bias as possible. We all have to understand two things when we talk about Puerto Rican culture. One, race is not country. There is no race ''Hispanic'' or ''Latino'' in Puerto Rico. Anyone from Puerto Rico would know they judge just like in America white and black. 81 percent of Puerto Rico considers themself white according to the census in the Puerto Rico Herald in 2000. Another point I bring up when talking about Puerto Rican culture is that Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico are much different than the ones in New York or other parts of America. Infact to me, it's become embarrassing to see what people assume to think what it is. The Puerto Ricans in New York most of the time haven't been to Puerto Rico once and can't speak Spanish, or fluently. Is that a real ''Boricua''? How would they even know what the word ''Boricua'' means? If you come accross situations where it's thinking hey what should I mark the word Hispanic or Latino does not belong on it. The word Hispanic isn't even used in Puerto Rico or in any part of Latin America so I got no clue why it is used in this country. The only area it might be used is the Dominican Republic and Haiti(a French speaking nation) because it is the island of Hispaniola. When people here ''Hispanic'' in America they think nuetral to white or black. To me that is extremly ignorant. What people of Puerto Rican or any Latin American country background have to understand no one is just going to know that you are of that by just looking at you. No one could know if you are even Spanish or not without asking you or knowing your last name. It would be extremly insultive to just assume someones background and think ''hey you're spanish'' which I know a lot of people do. It's like in New York anyone with olive or tan skin people will say ''oh are you Puerto Rican?'' And than watch they'll turn out being like Polish but out in the sun too long. Tan or Olive people are white. In society it's pretty obvious if you're full black, or full Asian. It's pretty much either you are or you aren't. White varies into multiple things. Russian, Irish, Arabic, Spanish, Jew, Italian, German, ect. How could you just say hey he's Indian? Or he's Native American? It would be embarrassing to them to just think that. To me unless you're Black or your Asian or dark Brown to the point that calling you white would be a joke, in my mind you're a white person. Carlos Delgado, from Puerto Rico is not white. Jennifer Lopez is white. Most black people couldn't keep up on there ancestry therefore which is why you don't see no one saying hey I'm Ethiopian or I'm Nigerian. Some white people are darker than others. when Cameron Diaz has blonde hair and blue eyes and is of Cuban background. According to the American government she isn't white. Country is not race. People in Latin American countries could care less about the American racial system. If anything it is a joke to them. According to the American Government Cuban and ex-Yankees Pitcher Jose Conteras isn't black and he is as dark as the ace of spades. When you speak of racial identification you speak of politics. Latin is a culture, a language and a heritage. Not a race. Spain owned more slaves than anyone else and people are thinking they deserve the affirmative action even though they're Spaniard ancestors torchered the African ones? Jews did not own slaves let alone if they weren't enslaved themself. Nazism exsisted 60 years ago? They were being torchered in ovens and don't recieve any of this BS affirmative action. But I mean hey because the language of your ancestors is ''Spanish'' means you deserve it? Do you think the blonde hair blue eyed people in Puerto Rico would not be considered part of that ''Master Race'' Hitler thought? Italians never owned slaves. The word Latin is Roman. When most of you say Latino you don't even have a clue of what the word actually means. You just assume it means something involving Spanish culture. I'm proud of my background and heritage but it is discraseful to me to see someone try to assume everything of it and not care to study anything of it. If you were Irish and forgot about it for generations would it really matter? So if you barely keep up on your Puerto Rican culture or no nothing of it why should you even throw yourself into that category? It insults the real Puerto Ricans. The reasons for the stereotypical images Americans create of many people of Latin American background is because the countries in Latin America are poor. Therefore, it's kind of like America in the 50's. Which means it's very determinable on class and the white people of the countries power. Anyone who calls themself light skinned Puerto Rican is an idiot. You are white. If you are American and you are white you wouldn't say light skinned. Spain is Europe. Europeans are white. There were maybe 30 thousand Natives of many of the Carribbean Islanders. 20 million Spaniards. Particularly they chose specific islands to populate in. You can generally tell who that is and who that isn't for the most part now? When slaves were brought to America and Caribbean they had to stop in some places. Particularly Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, ect. The white Carribbean people are predominantly of Cuban and Puerto Rican background. Yes, many Puerto Ricans are mixed of multiple things. But Puerto Rico is a country just like America. There are many Anglo's, especially in the south who would be reluctant to admitting of having any African roots. Puerto Rico still has many problems. Racially more than America for sure which is the point he was trying to bring up. I don't agree he said it appropriatley but when you speak of race if you ever say ''Puerto Rican'' you are as ignorant as our redneck president George W. Bush. White people exsist all over the world as do black people. Race isn't something you choose. When you say White People, separating Puerto Ricans into there own category or ''Latinos'' makes you so politically naive and gullible of the corrupted American system that you shouldn't even be worth reading. So when people are dumb enough to say ''Black and Latinos'' unite or are apart they are plain idiots. Latino is not a race. There are Black people of Latin background. There are white. You couldn't tell the difference between Tino Martinez if he was in a room with 9 white people. You couldn't tell Carlos Delgado not black from a room of 9 people that were black. There were 30,000 Indians of Puerto Rico. They brought very few women with them in 1492 so a lot of the Spaniards who came over raped the women. The only way how you can get a Spanish name in any Spanish speaking country is either you're father has Spaniard ancestry on his side or part/all of your ancestry was enslaved. Jennifer Lopez's ancestors were not enslaved. A black Puerto Rican might have. Puerto Ricans in America see themselves particularly in New York as a racial image more than a cultural image. Most Puerto Ricans in New York even though they don't get the sun as much are darker. The reason why being is like I said in a poorer country the more prejudice it is. The white Puerto Ricans forced the darker ones out or made it to the point that they just wouldn't live no more because they lived like crap. Puerto Ricans are just like Italians in every single way. They came here with little but have slowly built up. Not all necessarily in the right ways, but have built a lot for themselves. Italians 60-70 years ago were not considered white in this country. Just as the same with a bunch of other groups like Arabics, Jews, Greeks, Russians and even Irish. You do not have to be an American or European to be white. If you were to think of America you'd probably put a white page on the image which is the same to how most Puerto Ricans would do when thinking about Puerto Rico. The difference in the 60's when a lot of Puerto Ricans came to New York it was a lot more competitive than it was in the 30's. A lot of the blacks as they were in New York back than are in the same position now. I've lived all over this country and believe me the blacks in New York are much different than any where else. Infact, on the West Coast of Florida near Tampa where I currently live now I rarely see any racial disputes simply because the blacks have just as much as the whites. People do not have to complicate things as much here. People don't have to go around asking all the time what are you? There is so much white trash in Florida and in so many states in America how could they look down on the blacks if a lot of them are just more sucessful than they are? The blacks in New York are so focused to blaming the ''white man'' for oppression that because the Puerto Ricans there still are in much poverty there ideas rub off on them. Patheticly, making the Puerto Ricans in New York feel hey am I a different race or ethnic group? Anyone who even says the word ''nigga'' in any type of hip hop form is a pathetic discrase regardless of what they are. Do you see people running around New York saying ''What up Ginnie?'' Do you see Jews saying ''What up Nazi?'' Imagine what that would be like. We do have to understand history in order to create a better future. History is History. It is not something you can change to help the specific image you prefer. And sadly that profane term is what a lot of Puerto Ricans in New York do. That is the type of crap we should try to defeat in Puerto Rican culture. Just because you are poor does not mean you are not white. That is the worst thing of American stereotype. Infact though that's why the American government continues to re-work it's racial identification system. If they didn't add all those groups I mentioned before to the white ethnic group how many whites would there really be in America? In a lot of America people think because they're part black they're all black. A person like Beyonce Knowles who is of half French Creole background. In Puerto Rico, if you're part white you're ussually all white. Not the little stuff. I could live with someone just being a direct prejudice person because at least they're not two faced and I know where they stand. I've heard a lot of people say recently ''Ok if you're of Latin background but born here you're more acceptable to the white image of America''. Isn't it ironic though that the people in those countries consider themselves more white than the white Americans here. 81% of P.R. considers themselves white. 8% considers themself black. Regardless of whether they ignore African ancestery that is what they do consider themself. I bet you 81 percent of the Puerto Ricans in New York don't consider themselves white not even because they don't know they true version of their heritage(although that's likely true too). But still just probably don't for the fact they can get a job easier because of the corrupted system. Race is just what you are. It don't make you the person you are. Same thing as to religion, your political beliefs, ect. No one is superior to anyone in this world even though in there crazy minds they might be. Politics is a very confusing matter. America should really create a new racial identification system that helps everyone list directly what they are. Anyone of any country of Latin or any background has to realize that the word ''Hispanic'' or ''Ireland'' or ''Russia'' is not engraved into your forehead. It is wrong to assume what someone is. Saying you're Puerto Rican is like saying you're American. If Puerto Rico was it's own independant country and not a commonwealth of the United States and created it's own racial system with a term ''American'' would that be taken seriously or politically respectable? You can't know if an American is White, Black, Asian or whatever if they just have one term America. Unless we understand race we won't get passed the issue. We are all human beings. Labeling people is wrong. Believing people should ''unite'' because of race or nationality or any of that matter is wrong for simply just for that one purpose. Puerto Rico is a very diverse culture so before respresenting understand it regardless of how much studying it requires.

Comment

Working...
        X