Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oppressed_oppressor
    ummm....NO.

You seem to have missed that little word in there spelled R-A-C-E.

Only a twisted leftist could read the word RACE and see the word MONEY. You can spin 'til you puke, but you cannot change the meaning of words to fit your ridiculous ideology.

So you're suggesting that R-A-C-E and R-A-C-I-S-M mean the same thing? Did you cut English class again? I'm telling your mother.

Comment

Re: Waneko

Originally posted by Rivera33
      Waneko, sometimes I think that a significant number of Puerto ricans Z(in the US) and a significant number of American Blacks, don't work hard to achieve high school, and higher education. There is a bigger price to pay for these attitudes which often guarantee lower success.

Having no idean how to improve themselves economically, they look to the government for some handout that will improve their life. Some are extremely good at manipulating the system and manage to live well! Hard

Puerto Ricans and Amirican Blacks who attain educatuon and/or a trade are working and making good salaries and don't need the government to give them anything.
      You're right, there is a significant number of people of color who don't work hard at education. However like Corvo mentioned, this is just one of the many causes a problem this great can have.

In addition, even if you focus on the ones who simply don't work hard at education and who look for handouts, you still have to look deeper to find the causes. In other words you have to ask why don't these individuals work hard at school? Why don't they see the consequences of not achieving in school or the benefits of being educated? Why do people settle for handouts when there's more to be had?

Simply saying people "don't work hard" without examining the situation further sounds like you're judging them and calling them lazy, although I know that is not your intention.

As for the some who you feel are manipulating the system and are living "well" (clearly we'll never agree on how well is well), perhaps you are trying to judge them. However, if all you have to back this up are anecdotes, they really don't apply in this conversation.

Comment

Wanko,

Are you really this stupid, or are you just pretending?

I didn't say race = racism, but you KNOW that.
        I said racism (now pay close attention) is not based on ECONOMICS, it's based on RACE. That's why it's called RACISM, and not classism or "economicism". Any IDIOT can see that, but then again, idiot would be a step up for you. I guess I should cut you some slack.

Comment

Waneko great response! Opp did help you, but let me add:

Racism is conditioned by economic imperatives, but negotiated through culture: religion, literature, art, science and the media.

http://www.globalissues.org/HumanRights/Racism.asp

If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.
          Thomas Szasz

Comment

Originally posted by oppressed_oppressor
            Wanko,

Are you really this stupid, or are you just pretending?

I didn't say race = racism, but you KNOW that.
            I said racism (now pay close attention) is not based on ECONOMICS, it's based on RACE. That's why it's called RACISM, and not classism or "economicism". Any IDIOT can see that, but then again, idiot would be a step up for you. I guess I should cut you some slack.

Opie

I didn't say racism was based on economics either. Even the title of the this thread isn't that specific, but you chose to define it specifically to fit whatever your agenda is. Too bad the specific definition you chose was wrong.

The point here is that the economic situation for people of color in the U.S. derives from racism and the ultimate proof that racism is alive and well. The proof isn't all that anecdotal nonsense that you hear over and over, it's the economic reality. Racism, as it's defined by your post, came first, and then today's situation evolved from it, not the other way around as you were trying to put in my mouth.

So who's the one trying to twist things around?

Comment

Waneko

Waneko, everyone here makes good well thought out points. Suki always makes an excellent presentation. Most of my ideas apply to me and how I defeated the madness presented to me when I came to the mainland. My efforts always placed me at the top of the group and where I had to help my anglo friends to make better decisions.

There is nothing that irritates me more than seeng a department where the most talented and educated person is a Hispanic and someone of authority names an uneducated and inexperienced person to a higher position. I think we should petentially concentrate on how to help someone make it when they face a situation like this without filing EEo complaints and so forth.

I recently gave a talk at a convention designed to help hispanic entrepreneurs. One Puerto Rican man had a firm doing about 40 million in sales this year. It was so exciting to see our people trying to find a way to make it on their own. It was awsome!

Comment

Re: Waneko

Waneko, everyone here makes good well thought out points. Suki always makes an excellent presentation. Most of my ideas apply to me and how I defeated the madness presented to me when I came to the mainland. My efforts always placed me at the top of the group and where I had to help my anglo friends to make better decisions.

There is nothing that irritates me more than seeng a department where the most talented and educated person is a Hispanic and someone of authority names an uneducated and inexperienced person to a higher position. I think we should petentially concentrate on how to help someone make it when they face a situation like this without filing EEo complaints and so forth.

I recently gave a talk at a convention designed to help hispanic entrepreneurs. One Puerto Rican man had a firm doing about 40 million in sales this year. It was so exciting to see our people trying to find a way to make it on their own. It was awsome!
                I am always proud of those of us who make it despite the fact that the playing field is uneven, myself included. I wish that all of had the same resolve and determination that you and I have that allowed us to overcome by working harder than the next guy. It is quite exciting to see those of who have what it takes to make it on our own.

Comment

Why do racist target the USA?

Originally posted by Waneko

I am always proud of those of us who make it despite the fact that the playing field is uneven, myself included. I wish that all of had the same resolve and determination that you and I have that allowed us to overcome by working harder than the next guy. It is quite exciting to see those of who have what it takes to make it on our own.

That is all well and good if you don't mind forgetting about the people that consume the goods and the price that is paid to live in such a society and not think about "Los condenados de la tierra."

I think many of us have the same resolve and determination that you and the rest of the mob on this thread have, and to tell you the truth, I understand that the playing field is not level and I have advocated for working twice as hard to get to where "the next guy" is, but you know, although I have worked very hard, and although I am determied to overcome the biases that impede equity in this society on a day to day basis through my work, my research, my lectures, still it is not true that if you work twice as hard, you can make it in this society. The truth is that when hard times come around, as in NOW, all that does is get a lot of people upset because the the "next guy" is getting nowhere and so are you but he, "the next guy" feels it is all your fault that he is getting nowhere.

You may be in a part of the country where "cherry picking" is easy, and you are one of those cherries picked to make into the corporate world, you may have some skills that are important and they are willing to let you be one of their token minorities (that 15%, combined Black/Hispanic/Women that made it) but think about what happens to the rest.

The issue often is not to worry about the other 85% minorities and white women who did not make it, we know what happens to them. Worry about the 98% of white men who think they did not make it into the 2% of top CEO's of the corporate world because there is a 15% of the minorities and white women who are making it impossible for them to climb the corporate ladder.

What happens to this group of WASPs? Have you ever thought about them?

Yautia

Comment

Working...
                  X