Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we have PR flags in our cars?

As Salaam Alaikum to you all,

Ever since I can remember, I remember seeing the Puerto Rican flag hanging in the rear view mirror of both of my parents car. Being an Army brat, every time we were in a military town or installation, you would find Puerto Ricans always acknowledging my father or mother as they drove by. When I lived in Texas, all the Puerto Ricans hung together real close. I have to admit that I have a flag in my car. My parents insisted that I have one in my car. In Kentucky, the Cubans always acknowledge me (they are refugees and are happy that somebody in KKKlantucky speaks spanish)as well as the other Puerto Ricans (mainly from the Fort Knox/Fort Campbell region). But, does anyone know how this trend started. I recall driving to North Carolina and seeing about three cars on the way with Puerto Rican flags hanging from the rearview mirror. Did we start this tradition?

Bro. Hector

Bro:

Islanders do not do this as often.

The constant waving of the flag is something PR folks do when they are away from home or when they have been raised in the US where the average citizen is obsessed about ethnicity and cultural pride. I guess most folks want to have some identity.

You can always tell a Nuyorican from an islander by checking out the PR flag in their clothing or cars.

Los recuerdos suelen
    Contarte mentiras

Stanley

Comment

Stanley,

It is true that a lot of stateside Puerto Ricans hang there flag in their cars, but this is nothing new. I remember back in the mid 60s when people started putting stickers of the Puerto Rican flag in their rear windows. As a matter of fact, my uncle was pulled over and cited by a policeman in New York because he stated that the flag was obstructing the rear view. My uncle snapped back and said that if it was an American flag would he have been fined. The cop just told him to shut up and go to court. Well, my Uncle complained and the fine was dropped. I can remember seeing a lot of the flags on clothing, such as patches stating “Proud to be Puerto Rican” on a lot of island Puerto Ricans that moved to the neighborhood. When I moved back to the island I drove with a Puerto Rican license plate in the front of my bumper. I saw a lot of vehicles on the island with flags hanging in the rearview mirror. So to answer Brother Hector’s questions, the flag phenomena goes back to the mid to late 60s in the states, New York probably being the first palace. I personally do not have one in my car, but my Spouse does have one. I just have a small one in the shape of a conga and the flag inside since I play percussion.

Comment

I wear my flag literally skin deep, when people see me they say PUERTORIQUENO. I don't need a flag for people to know who I am. Puertorricans blanquitos sport it so they are not confused with other latinos or God forbid, white people!!
        In PR is not as prevalent because there they associate you with the independentistas if you fly the flag and then you are ostracized from society, jobs and all the other good things.

Comment

The situation of one Puerto Rican telling another PR you look white is an importation from the USA. In the old days if a PR had truly Nordic looks folks would say "he or she"is blanquito and could pass for a gringo. However, there would be no surprise or anything odd about it.

Then the Nuyoricans arrived to discover there were some PRs that could pass for American Anglos. Some Nuyoricans think JLo could pass for American Anglo------ they have a new perspective or perhaps a completely different point of reference. For a local she is a PR as any other plane Jane.

Los recuerdos suelen
          Contarte mentiras

Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherHector
            As Salaam Alaikum to you all,

Ever since I can remember, I remember seeing the Puerto Rican flag hanging in the rear view mirror of both of my parents car. Being an Army brat, every time we were in a military town or installation, you would find Puerto Ricans always acknowledging my father or mother as they drove by. When I lived in Texas, all the Puerto Ricans hung together real close. I have to admit that I have a flag in my car. My parents insisted that I have one in my car. In Kentucky, the Cubans always acknowledge me (they are refugees and are happy that somebody in KKKlantucky speaks spanish)as well as the other Puerto Ricans (mainly from the Fort Knox/Fort Campbell region). But, does anyone know how this trend started. I recall driving to North Carolina and seeing about three cars on the way with Puerto Rican flags hanging from the rearview mirror. Did we start this tradition?

Bro. Hector

I was probably one of the ones you saw in NC... LOL
            Who knows how far it goes back? who had cars first? LOL

Comment

Who Cares?

In Puerto Ricans seem to be the most desperate people when it comes to attention and pride. The reality of the situation is that confident people who are at peace with themselves dont need to waive a flag around or carry a PR flag around wherever they go, or wear necklaces attached to a PR Flag or yell "Viva Puerto Rico" 100 times an hour just in case the general public didnt hear you the first 99 times.
              Believe it or not but many Non-Puerto Ricans think that Puerto Ricans have some type of a mental issue when they crave so much for attention and recognition. As an American Gringo I even find it disrespectful. I ask Mexicans (another group with a lot of pride) and Puerto Ricans all the time: Why dont you go back to Mexico or Puerto Rico if you love your countries so much?
              The funniest Incident I ever saw was attending the 4th of July and Cinco de Mayo festivals (Mexican Independence) in Los Angeles. All the Puerto Ricans brought their PR flags with them to these events. Why would they bring their flags to an American Independence or Mexican Independence holiday? Puerto Rico is not even idependent so why would they take their flags to another country's independence celebration? To me this is just plain disrespectful. Unfortunately this wouldnt be the first though. I lived in Puerto Rico during the Vieques Protests when the American Flag was constantly burned more than a hot dog. I always would watch the Puerto Ricans "boo" our national American anthem before the Tito Trinidad fights.
              American Boxer Bernard Hopkins was genious. He knew that Puerto Ricans (especially Tito Trinidad) were extremely sensitive to their flag and nationalistic pride. He used their weakness against them to mentally affect Tito and the Puerto Rican people by throwing the PR flag to the ground.
              Tito knew that when Hopkins threw his flag to the ground, he didnt fear or respect Tito nor the PR people. It was as if Hopkins destroyed Tito's soul and heart after that incident which would eventually lead to his destruction in his ring.
              The point Im trying to make is to be humble. Its okay to have pride but show it through your actions and not through your words. From an American standpoint nobody (Americans) dont care if you have a PR flag in your car, or waive a PR flag in the club, or have the PR flag hanging from your ass or hearing you yell "Viva Puerto Rico". Your not impressing anybody except for maybee yourselves.
              I probaly have just as much American pride as you do PR pride. I would die for this country (I have served in the millitary). Yet you wont see me draped in an American Flag or chanting "USA USA" trying to annoy the public. I speak with my actions. When I travel overseas I send a message to the host country through my behavior and my good deeds. That goes a longer ways than shouting "USA" in their faces.
              Do you want to make your isla proud? Then cut out the huge welfare ratio in the Puerto Rican communities, go to college and educate yourselves, stop speaking ebonics, get a JOB and keep your mouths shut for once unless it has something to do with improving mankind. Try allowing your actions to speak on your behalf for once. Youd be surprised how much easier it is to make friends and allies from different ethinicities by being respectful and humble people.

Thank you

and God Bless America

Comment

I am mostly in agreement regarding the obsession of expatriate PR folks to use the flag 24/7. It clearly shows they have issues.

EGA comes across as someone who is extremely immersed in that culture and seems to know details about PR that only a puertorican would know. I have to conclude that EGA is "un acomplejao de primera". This is even lower than the folks who fly the flag.

EGA is ashamed of who he is. He states many valid points. however, his complejo is clear.

Los recuerdos suelen
                Contarte mentiras

Stanley

Comment

Gringo, I kind of like many things you say but at the end "la cagaste" con el maldito God Bless America. Why should ANY God only bless one country OVER OTHERS, specially this very violent and abusive one?? I THOUGHT THE JEWISH PEOPLE WERE THE CHOSEN. Does God support capitalism? What about the REST of the world, that does not believe in this God? Do not bless them? This phrase is so jingoistic/nationalistic/stupidly religious that it makes PR's passion for their flag look like a little innocent game AND YOUR ARGUMENTS seem VERY STUPID and hypocritical. I see ALL people showing their flags around Connecticut were I live, the Greeks, the Polish, specially the Irish and nobody gives a crap because they are WHITE flags.

At least puertoricans don't go around parroting about "God Bless Puerto Rico" at every opportunity.

Humble my ass!!!!

[Edited by Yujike on 14th June 2005 at 13:31]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yujike
                    [B]
                    Gringo, I kind of like many things you say but at the end "la cagaste" con el maldito God Bless America. Why should ANY God only bless one country OVER OTHERS, specially this very violent and abusive one?? I THOUGHT THE JEWISH PEOPLE WERE THE CHOSEN. Does God support capitalism? What about the REST of the world, that does not believe in this God? Do not bless them? This phrase is so jingoistic/nationalistic/stupidly religious that it makes PR's passion for their flag look like a little innocent game AND YOUR ARGUMENTS seem VERY STUPID and hypocritical. I see ALL people showing their flags around Connecticut were I live, the Greeks, the Polish, specially the Irish and nobody gives a crap because they are WHITE flags.

At least puertoricans don't go around parroting about "God Bless Puerto Rico" at every opportunity.

Humble my ass!!!!

Yeah, he contradicts himself. I think he feels that because he does know some stuff firsthand about Puerto Rico that he can get away with being offensive towards ricans more than your average gringo, who tends to be much less knowledgeable about Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans.

But learning a few facts about the island doesn't make him credible, as it is clear that there is no real analysis behind his statements. For example, as Stanley pointed out he gives us examples that are more prevalent in stateside Puerto Ricans, rather than those on the island. You'd think he'd know that there are vast cultural and socioeconomic differences between the two subgroups. I guess not.

[Edited by Waneko on 14th June 2005 at 15:06]

Comment

True

That's true Stanley, because when my dad was living in Puerto Rico he said he didn't feel a need to fly his PR flag, because he knew what he was, but when he came here, he had it everywhere, and my cousin Auturo was the same way, he just came from Puerto Rico a few years ago when he first got here, he didn't feel a need to fly his flag anywhere, but as time went on, you started to notice little PR flags all over the place. It's kind of like when your riding around in the United States you don't see people with U.S. Flags in their car..Even in DR, you don't see Dominicans flying flags, but when you come to the states, and walk around NY, you see nothing but Banderas de Republica Dominicana, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Cuba etc.
                      "Man loves liberty, even if he does not know that he loves it. He is driven by it and flees from where it does not exist."-Jose Mart.

Comment

Puerto Rican islanders aren't as overtly patriotic or flag waivers as Puerto Rican's who live on the mainland U.S for a number of reasons.

1. Islanders live on the island where they are surround with all things Puerto Rican - Mainlanders live in the US, where they are far from their ancestral homeland.
                        2. Islanders have PR flags on almost every government building on the island - Some mainlanders may display a small one in their car or wave one at their parade.
                        3. Islanders pretty much know that 95% of the people they'll come in contact with on a daily basis are fellow Puerto Ricans - Mainlanders aren't as fortunate.
                        4. Islanders have numerous festivals & holidays where they can show pride in their local cultures, music and community - Mainlanders have perhaps one or two events a year where the focus is entirely on Puerto Rican pride.
                        5. Islanders are devided on political issues in respect to the status of the island - Mainlanders rarely involve themselves in island politics.
                        6. Islanders are more likely to devide themselves in a phenotypically based racial category - Mainlanders, regardless of race, are categorised as hispanics/latinos, seperate and distinct from other "Americans". Hense there is a stronger sense of unity among all people of Puerto Rican decent on the mainland regardless of color than there is on the island.
                        7. Islanders show pride in their island during international sporting events or competitions - Mainlanders do as well.
                        etc. etc.

Puerto Ricans ont the mainland aren't the only one's to show patriotism.

1. The Star Spangled Banner is sang before most sporting events in this country.
                        2. Tons of Americans have huge flags hanging outside their homes.
                        3. Saint Patricks Day Parade: The parade celebrates all things Irish.
                        4. Columbus Day: It's generally regarded as an Italian American day parade.
                        5. There are also other parades and festivities across this country that celebrate numorous cultures.

As far as the example that PR's have to wear the flags and wave them whereever they go, that's an exaggeration. In NYC, you will often see many people with PR beeded necklace, Puerto Rico shirts, the huge flags on their cars and such about a week or so prior to the big parade. That's not even most people but you will see it more often. During the parade is when you will see a ton of people with the PR, shirts, flags, hats, etc. After the parade the city goes back to normal. Then you will just see the PR emblem hanging from a car mirror or the occasional flag on the side of a building but it's not as exaggerated as some make it seem. Lastly, for the comment that PR's wave their flag during cinco de mayo. Every group does that. Non-Ricans (Dominicans, Mexicans, Ecuadorians, Cubans etc.) come to the PR parade every year and wave their flags. What's the big deal?

That's it for now.

Comment

ElGringoAmericano

The tone and content of you post is very disrespectful and shows the arrogance that so many "americans" show towards the great people of an island that was ceded to the US through a war that was none of our making.

Many Puerto Ricans have served and died for this country beginning with the first world war. Yet, we are an afterthought in the minds of caucasians who still view as as foreigners or immigrants, forgetting that all caucasians are historical immigrants themselves. It is only when a Puerto Rican reminds a caucasian that we are US citizens that they start to think about the implications.

I believe in racial harmony, but if one is going to be honest about the reality in the US, caucasians, too often, want to think that this is "their" country and it was they, and only they, that built what is now the US, often neglecting the positive contributions by non-caucasians.

Now the topic at hand is flags in cars and flag waving. I also understand that sometimes people come across foolishly in their fervence when it come to Puerto Rican pride. Maybe some day, if you read enough about US - Puerto Rican history and get to know what being Puerto Rican is all about, maybe you will appreciate that Puerto Ricans have often been poorly treated by the US government over time, through unfair social, econmomic, and legal policies. [Recommend you read books by Manuel Maldonado Denis, US Cirucuit Judge Juan Torruella, among others- who delve into specific policies and their negative impact on the island]

Like any racial or minority group, we have our good and bad. However, the tone and content of your post was full of inaccuracies and half truths about a society of people who have made significant contributions in Education, Politics, the Arts, Science, Sports, Philosophy, Social Welfare and almost every other area of contemporary life.

In short, it may be true that some members of the Puerto Rican community do not show "proper" restraint of themselves, and seemingly, cause the irritation of others through their actions. However, when one truly begins to understand how there is a lot resentment by some Puerto Ricans towards their "fellow Americans" and how it originates, it becomes easier to overlook it. What is clear and constantly evident, is that introspection is sorely need by many caucasians so that the racial harmony that most of us prefer can be realized.

[Edited by FULANODETAL on 14th June 2005 at 22:52]

Comment

Felunadotal

I cover all the issues you brought up plus a lot more topics revolving PR and USA relations. Check "Puerto Rico (AKA Welfare Island" and "A Little Food for thought" regarding these issues. Like I stated before I lived in Puerto Rico before, studied the history (I am a history major) and experienced Puerto Rico's very confusing politics and mind set.

Comment

Gringo

Originally posted by ElGringoAmericano
                              I cover all the issues you brought up plus a lot more topics revolving PR and USA relations. Check "Puerto Rico (AKA Welfare Island" and "A Little Food for thought" regarding these issues. Like I stated before I lived in Puerto Rico before, studied the history (I am a history major) and experienced Puerto Rico's very confusing politics and mind set.

Wow talk about arrogance on top of arrogance. The things that you covered were refuted a number of times by a number of people in the forum but instead of telling us why our points are wrong with some kind of facts, you're only response is that you "cover it."

So in essence, you expect us to conclude that the things you say are right, and the things we say are wrong, no?

I think you are going to have to come clean and tell us how a person or persons in Puerto Rico have hurt your feelings. Nothing else seems to make any sense because your lack of response to what is being told to you really indicates that your only agenda is to slander Puerto Ricans. Well, that's okay, because I now understand that you are hurt by something a Puerto Rican did to you and that is how you are making yourself feel better.

Therapy might be a better way to be able to heal your hard feelings and you will better target the particular individuals who hurt you so bad instead of blaming all Puerto Ricans for your pain. I know it can be expensive, but it's worth it. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X