Two Thumbs Up for Puerto Rico!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Thumbs Up for Puerto Rico!

Last month, my GF and I vacationed in PR for 8 days. This was her first time visiting my homeland.

Frankly, given the daily negative news which pours out of Puerto Rico, I was concerned for our safety and other possible unsavory things.

To my surprise, we had a great (and I mean a really great) time in Puerto Rico. Not once did we come across a situation wherein we felt unsafe. On the contrary. Everywhere we went, people seemed to go out of their way to be helpful. When people realized my GF did not speak Spanish, they immediately spoke English. Even close family, whom I'd always assumed spoke only Spanish, surprisingly became bilingual with much clarity.

Another aspect which totally contradicts popular opinion is customer service. Never once were services delayed out of sheer laziness or unattentiveness. Waiters, Housekeepers, Bartenders, etc., all rendered services within a reasonable amount of time.

Sure, we saw a few addicts begging for money. But they were stupefied and harmless.

So, to all would-be visitors to Puerto Rico, please factor in this personal positive experience.

If you've recently had a similar or completely opposite experience, please share it here with us!

That's great TCS!

Always nice to hear some positive feedback. It's so easy to get caught up in the ugliness of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by TipoConSuerte View Post
      Last month, my GF and I vacationed in PR for 8 days. This was her first time visiting my homeland.

Frankly, given the daily negative news which pours out of Puerto Rico, I was concerned for our safety and other possible unsavory things.

To my surprise, we had a great (and I mean a really great) time in Puerto Rico. Not once did we come across a situation wherein we felt unsafe. On the contrary. Everywhere we went, people seemed to go out of their way to be helpful. When people realized my GF did not speak Spanish, they immediately spoke English. Even close family, whom I'd always assumed spoke only Spanish, surprisingly became bilingual with much clarity.

Another aspect which totally contradicts popular opinion is customer service. Never once were services delayed out of sheer laziness or unattentiveness. Waiters, Housekeepers, Bartenders, etc., all rendered services within a reasonable amount of time.

Sure, we saw a few addicts begging for money. But they were stupefied and harmless.

So, to all would-be visitors to Puerto Rico, please factor in this personal positive experience.

If you've recently had a similar or completely opposite experience, please share it here with us!

I recently moved back to Puerto Rico after 35 years in the states. Every one I knew thought I was nuts , most likely because they were obsessed by the negative news coming out of the island. "Why don't you move to Florida, Arizona or Texas, I was advised. Its the American dream!

First of all I don't have any contacts in these places and as a mature man I decided to go where I knew family and friends. My other concern was living a good life. Florida only has Disneyland and malls, places which puerto Ricans think is the ultimate American dream. I found that Arizona and Texas weren't too far off from the so called Florida "good life", but with the xenophobia running rampant around America these days I don't want to wind up in a Boricua ghetto.

In Puerto Rico I have friends, family and blend in. As a mature person I get to go to concerts of the Puerto Rico philharmonic orchestra, live theater , see shows at the Choliseo for less than half price. I get to go to talks at El Ateneo, and at "La escuela del Caribe", much better picks than wandering aimlessly in a Mall in Florida , Arizona or Texas.

Crime? yes there is crime, but crime like in the US, is mostly concentrated in the lower income areas and housing projects, places which I don't go to, less live near there. If I don't visit these places in the US, why should I visit them in PR?.

I feel safe cause cops are every where. Sometimes I've often felt it was a police state.

I go out at night to Bellas Artes, El conservatorio de musica for Jazz performances and to art movies in Miramar without a problem.

The biggest problem are the crazy drivers. Puerto Rcans are like Dr. Jeckyl and Mr Hyde, great to deal with on a personal basis but once they get in their cars they transform themselves into monstrous Mr. Hydes.

Finally San Juan has become the culinary capital of the Caribbean, where you can go to high end restaurants and not just to cuchifrito stands like most folks from the states like to frequent.

Bottom line, I'm better off be in PR than in a cultural waste land like Orlando.

Comment

Working...
      X