Hello out there!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello out there!

Does anyone read threads on this site any more?

Geez! I come here and find absolutely nothing on this site. It's an abandoned and forgotten site.

Miss the days when I'd come here and find at least a few new threads and posts.

To all those who once contributed, I thank you for stopping by and taking a look at this tomb of a site.

TCS

REST IN PEACE . . . PuertoRico.com.

Man, this is so pitiful.

But, what the heck! I'm just gonna come here from time to time and write to myself if necessary.

So, here I be at work, on a Saturday afternoon, just waiting for my workday to end. Almost there. Just kinda killing what few minutes remain. Done my share, and then some, today. Sadly, there are several co-workers who are fond of passing the buck or looking the other way when it comes to "getting stuff done." Frankly, I don't mind doing my share and sometimes their's too. Keeps me occupied and on top of the entire scope of the job.

I'm one of those fortunate few who happens to like his job.

So, for the few half dead bodies who will read this, do you enjoy what you do for a living?

ˇHasta la proxima!

: )

Comment

Your message is like....

The ending scene in Terminator 2 [or was it 3?] where John Conner is in the Bunker and hears the Ham Radios asking is there anyone out there, hello, hello. About 10 years ago when I first came on this website, it seemed to be a lot of fun, and there were some decent intellectual exchanges with some people. Then a bunch of trouble makers and instigators came on and messed it up. Happens everywhere on the internet. But in response to your question, I love my job, its dangerous, my life is at risk at times, but it is also intellectually stimulating and gives me an opportunity to help people. What I dont like is the politics which completely put a damper on things. The upside, I can retire when I want but plan to be there 42 months or so and I am free to move on with the next chapter of my life, along with my family. Up to here with the COLD, expensive living, taxes, and congestion in NJ. Florida here I come, [where it is slightly more livable and warmer]. Hasta la proxima Tipo.

Comment

Forty-two months before you retire? Bro, congratulations! I have zero doubt you've worked long and hard for it.

Me? Although the countdown years are in the single digits, I still have a few years before contemplating retirement. But it's ok. As mentioned, I enjoy my line of work.

So, Florida is in your horizon, ey? Chacho, yo no voy pa' 'lla ni a buscar una herencia. ja! ja!

Many years ago, I owned property in Kissimmee. My goal was to leave the west and move my family to a place where I could reach Puerto Rico within a short flight. However, the more I visited Florida, the less interested I became in relocating there.

You know, the more time one spends in a particular region (in my case western USA), the more one adapts. When I first arrived in the west, I was convinced I'd be here no more than 5 years. That was 35 years ago. And although I do want to relocate, the east coast is not on the list. There are however a handful of western states and at least one foreign country which I'd consider.

BTW, like you, Puerto Rico will always be in my heart. But, moving there is no longer an option for various reasons, some of which you and I have previously discussed and agreed on.

Hey thanks for your post.

Enjoy your Sunday.

TCS

Comment

The Puerto Rico we left in 1969 was another life. There is nothing in Utuado that I miss and I dont want to be land locked to an island. Not to mention the other issues of island living. That illusion of a Jibaro retirement is nothing more than that. You mentioned Kissimmee, I am considering that region although I am considering the Melbourne area but have not yet decided. I love the west and have visited the Phoenix area where my brother lived for about 15 years. I hear New Mexico is nice. California seems nice, but is an expensive state with a lot of issues. If you dont mind what was it you did not like about Kissimmee, be specific it may help me decide. Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by TipoConSuerte View Post

So, for the few half dead bodies who will read this, do you enjoy what you do for a living?

I wish I enjoyed what I do for a living...

So much time spent doing meaningless tasks. But it pays the bills --- and that's what counts.

It is a pity that the forums have died. IMHO it is most unlikely that they can be restored to what they were. People are sharing pictures of their food and posting selfies on "social media" which is really not all that "social".

Gone are the days when people would post a picture of places they visit and the people take up maybe 20% of the picture with the actual landmark taking up the rest. Now its 80% "look at me" and the landmark in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonambulo View Post
              The Puerto Rico we left in 1969 was another life. There is nothing in Utuado that I miss and I dont want to be land locked to an island. Not to mention the other issues of island living. That illusion of a Jibaro retirement is nothing more than that. You mentioned Kissimmee, I am considering that region although I am considering the Melbourne area but have not yet decided. I love the west and have visited the Phoenix area where my brother lived for about 15 years. I hear New Mexico is nice. California seems nice, but is an expensive state with a lot of issues. If you dont mind what was it you did not like about Kissimmee, be specific it may help me decide. Thanks man. Appreciate it.
              You're an educated man so I doubt you will make a final decision based on the opinion of one poster from this dead forum. By the same token, I am sure you will visit any place you contemplate moving to several times, before deciding whether to move there or not.

But about your question, in 2003 I purchased real estate investment property in Kissimmee. The property was located within walking distance from Valencia College. There was a main thoroughfare conveniently located within a short driving distance, yet far away enough to where noise and vehicles were not a nuisance. The neighbors were nice people whom I introduced myself to and assured that my property would be kept in good condition. I fixed the place up and rented it out.

Because of this property, I'd travel to Kissimmee several times a year. I made these frequent tax deductible trips over a 5 year period. Slowly but surely, I noticed how the good neighbors were getting displaced by "less desirable" types; people who did not seem friendly. Also, litter became more noticeable. Soon thereafter, my good tenants moved out. After losing my good tenants, I was asked if I was willing to rent to "Section-8/Title-8, (whatever the hell that program is called)" renters. Right, wrong, or politically incorrect, this became my "Red Flag" moment. In my opinion, the nice neighbors were being displaced by less desirable Section-8 types.

Crime incidences began to increase as did the population density. By 2008 I'd seen enough. I got rid of the property and abandoned all plans to move to Kissimmee and Florida in general.

One other factor that diminished my interest in Florida was its flatness. Although I realized Florida was flat, I had not realized how flat it really was. I'd done some moderate hiking for many years. It's nice to break a sweat on an uphill trail from time to time, or find a cutting downhill path during a hike. Not gonna find any of that in Florida!

Hope we can share about some of the states you mentioned out this way.

BTW, you arrived in 1969 from Utuado. I arrived 10 years later in 1979.

TCS
              Last edited by TipoConSuerte; 2nd March 2015, 12:42.

Comment

Originally posted by carpediem View Post
                I wish I enjoyed what I do for a living...

So much time spent doing meaningless tasks. But it pays the bills --- and that's what counts.

It is a pity that the forums have died. IMHO it is most unlikely that they can be restored to what they were. People are sharing pictures of their food and posting selfies on "social media" which is really not all that "social".

Gone are the days when people would post a picture of places they visit and the people take up maybe 20% of the picture with the actual landmark taking up the rest. Now its 80% "look at me" and the landmark in the background.
                Bro, don't worry about this or any other site for that matter. Although they afford us a place wherein we share our experiences and points of view, the fact is that these sites are nothing more than fleeting places. These sites have no permanence. Like beach waves, they are here one moment and gone the next. This is why I refer to them as "fleeting places."

You know, you say you have a job which you don't particularly enjoy. However, how admirable to read that you'd rather perform a job you don't enjoy just to ensure you respond to the obligations of paying your bills. No "Section-8" mentality there. That alone is great news!

About the social media pics, bro, I enter FB once in a while to read about my east coast friends or relatives. They mostly post inspirational quotes, some of which give one reason to pause and contemplate. Others? Not so much. But dude, I marvel at those whom are bent on posting their every move, thought, or what they just ate on FB. I mean, G_d damn . . . is it really necessary to share that much about yourself?

But, oh well. To each his own. As I like to say . . . "Whatever blows your skirt up!"

Comment

Gracias

Thanks for the reply; I am a little familiar with the Valencia College area; on Rt 192 there in Kissimmee there is a lot of financial blight; I found a YOUTUBE VIDEO called THE CURSE OF 192 which showed so many closed businesses; I know I want to be close to good shopping, hospitals and a beach one hour or less away. If I had big bucks I would move to MIAMI BEACH,, but a cheap fixer upper there is about 600k, an insane price. You speak to the truth though, the flatness of Florida is something you have to get used to. But the beaches are better than anyting in the Northeast. I do like the big sky and wide roads. The congestion in NJ is just depressing. The only area where I saw small hills was up in Sanford area and north and near St. Agustine, another really nice city. I am also considering Port Orange, St. Petersburg, Port St. Lucie, Oviedo, and other places like Stuart, Florida. The more one looks, the harder it is to decide. Maybe Ill hit the lottery and move to Oregon, where my best friend lives. lol Hasta pronto y de nuevo te doy las gracias.

Comment

I looked up the youtube clip you mentioned. Frankly, I don't recall RT-192 being that abandoned during my frequent trips to that area. The abandonment must have taken place after 2008.

Anyways, although I've never visited Oregon, it is one of those "post-retirement" states which call my attention. Same goes for New Mexico which I've visited. Washington is another state on my post-retirement radar. Todo esta en "veremos."

Comment

RT 192 Kissimmee

When I stayed in Kissimmee 2 years ago I did notice a lot of closed businesses on Rt 192, but I also saw some progress in a number of areas. Depending on what u read the Orlando area is still considered a good place to find work. The issues seem to be, low wage jobs, traffic, lack of public transportation. A retiree with a decent income can live ok there especially with a supplemental income from a job. The question of course is QUALITY OF LIFE and whether there is enough there to stave off boredom. That is probably my real dilemma. Hasta pronto.

Comment

I retired in 2010 and have been travelling the world ever since. I live in PR for the winter months and the rest of the warmer time in Connecticut. I have a translation business n the Internet and write travelling summaries of the places I visit. Puerto Rico is NOTHING of what you hear in the media and I've had a great time there. I'll be in Cuba this summer for a month and hopefully play drums, dance, drink rum and enjoy an unspoiled island and the people. Florida sucks "un estado retrógrado' and full of crazy ideas and low salaries and expensive as hell., I do not even want to visit. I visit here once in a while but this now is a MUSIC site, no bantering. Like the news, evil sells and since there is no more evil, no participants. I wish you guys well and one advise: hide $ and then hide more $ and invest it well ,otherwise you'll work for the rest of your life without benefit of parole. I mean retirement. Be careful out there.

Comment

One can make a life anywhere it depends on 1. How much cash you have, 2. How much you are willing to tolerate or compromise on and 3. Your goals and motivations. I believe FLORIDA is a great state to live and is certainly more affordable than in the Northeast, West Coast and other exorbitant areas. Especially for retirees who have planned their futures to the extent that one can. There is a reason why consistently, the population has grown exponentially for the last 40 years there. My mother returned to Puerto Rico and after 6 months she shot back like a bat out of hell due to 1 A mediocre health care system, 2. Lack of transportation for non-drivers, 3. Boredom and 4. Lack of general convenience. All of these items were non-issues back in NJ. As a federal investigator for over 2 decades and having collaborated in numerous cases with NJ connections, I am more than familiar with the massive drug problems and human trafficking that is going on in the island and the local crime that has exploded since the first Bush administration put a lot of pressure on the cartels that were operating in South Florida and found shelter on Borinquen. Im certainly not suggesting it is all bad down there, so many good people try to make things better every day. But as I said, the Puerto Rico I left in 1969 is not the one that exists in 2015. My brother and sister who live there are the first ones to lament not leaving the island permanently a long time ago. I have some property rights in Utuado and will be selling the property in the near future as I have no interest in holding on to the property. It is up to island residents to make life better or worse. All the rest of us can do is hope for the best. Hasta pronto.

Comment

Yujike, Sonambulo . . . I hear you'ze! Puerto Rico is not what it use to be. Neither is Florida. At some point, we as individuals, will decide where we shall park the rest of our lives; where we will live our remaining days.

Our preferences will most likely be molded and influenced by the collective sum of our life's experiences. For example, I could no longer see myself living in Puerto Rico, the East Coast, and less even, Florida. Why? Because I've grown weary of what us Boricuas have lacked to achieve. Here we are, US Citizens which should be the spearheads among all Latinos. Yet, we often (though not always) lag far behind others. It baffles me how many of my close island friends and family are hell bent on being "Estado #51" yet can barely utter a few words in English.

Florida, in my and only my opinion, is another Latino Sub-Cultural basket case with its pockets of Boricuas, Cubans, and other Latin Americans.

Finally, and again, in my opinion only, the East Coast seems to be in the process of being impregnated by the aforementioned types. I could be completely wrong about all this. But, until proven otherwise, such is my stance and opinion.

So, where does a guy like me look to closing "Life's Final Chapter?" Stay tuned.

: )
                            Last edited by TipoConSuerte; 29th March 2015, 21:26.

Comment

Boricua Underachievement

Eso si es verdad, Boricua underachievement, especially at this time in history, is one of the things I am most frustrated with, although the reasons the Boricua community experiences this are shared with the black community. Too many young Boricua men and women following the scurge instead of the decent. Where I presently live there is a huge Indian, Pakistani, and Chinese community that have a lot of success to show for after only a couple of decades. Boricuas in Central Jersey on the other hand, are still waitin for an economic messiah or for opportunity to come and slap them in the face and say, "mira pendejo here I am, get up off your monkey ass and take advantage of me". I sometimes take the train to Manhattan and I am surrounded by a platform overflowing with asians going to their high tech jobs in Manhattan. Needless to say Im standing there asking myself, "donde estan los Boricuas". Fortunately, most here are not part of the former group of Boricuas because they are educated, worldly, and have futures.

Returning to the question as to where to retire, one still has to have criteria regarding what they want in a community, investigate what there is and decide based on your criteria, needs, and desires. A perfect situation would be to have the money to live in multiple places that one acquires, but few are more than blessed to have those resources.

Youll know where to retire if you get to the right place, your mind and heart will affirm your decision.

As for Florida, where I am preparing to retire to, I dont worry too much about it. My wife and I are private people with few friends, When I want to mix with my people, I go to a festival, restaurant, and on rare occasions to a church. I mind my business and mostly focus on family. The societal instabilities, inequities, and problems concern me, but mostly dont involve me and my interactions would not change much. Again, its what you make of it anywhere one goes. Hasta pronto amigos.

Comment

Working...
                              X