Serious Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Question

I'm saddened by the fact PR still has people who swear up and down that Stateside Puerto Ricans are not Puerto Rican. It's almost FACT that every Puerto Rican on the Island. Has at least ONE close relative who resides stateside. So thats basically like saying your family isn't Puerto Rican I have four uncles and two aunts from my fathers side who still live on the island and many many cousins. My grandmother lives here in NJ with me but all her sisters still live in PR. So because I'm from NJ i'm not Puerto Rican? That doesn't make sense. But My question is WHY do a lot of Puerto Ricans claim Marc Anthony is Puerto Rican and Willie Colon is Puerto Rican or other Famous Puerto ricans who were born in NY. if they were't born in PR either. is it because they're simply famous? Why are they considered Puerto Rican by literally Everyone but me I'm considered a "Nuyorican" Or whatever i'm considered to be. It doesn't make sense to me and it bothers me because I want to move to Puerto Rico in the future but apparently i'll still never be considered a "true" Puerto Rican

The question of "identidad"

This argument as to who is a true Puerto Rican is almost a silly argument, because the issue of identification is not stagnant and changes with time. I am sure the Puerto Ricans of 50 years ago would challenge the Puertoriquenidad of those of today, as those of 100 years would also raise the same questions. To ignore roughly 160 years of US influence on the island and go around saying your are a "pura cepa" Puerto Rican is quite frankly, ignorant and delusional. Puerto Ricans eat at Mcdonalds, go to see 50 Shades of Whatever, drive Chevys, have US passports that they use to go to Paris to buy Persian rugs, use Spanglish constantly, and browse the internet. Uh, doesnt that sound like what gringos do??. How many Puerto Ricans actually farm, listen to the music of 50, 60, 70, years ago?. Yes, on the island they speak Spanish, pay their CRIM taxes, say efectivo instead of chavo, eat pasteles with leaves more often and feel more connected to their roots because they live there. These are all fine and well.

Now I would be remiss is I also fail to note that while there are some general qualities that a person who calls him or herself Puerto Rican displays, I also observe that there are no absolute markers. There isnt a Puerto Rican gene that conclusively says, "ay bendito este es de pura cepa". However, I also find it disingenous by some Puerto Rican intellectuals who ignore the real struggle for Puerto Rican culture that almost exclusively occurs on the US mainland. Que Cosa Josefina. I was born in the middle of the island with a midwife [una partera] in a house 50 some odd years ago. I came to the mainland as a 5 year old, I feel as Puerto Rican as anyone there or here. Puerto Rican identity resides in the heart and mind, being on the island is more a bonus than anything else. Those who call me a Nuyorican, really dont know squat about our history and the aforementioned struggle that goes on. Look at the reality in Puerto Rico now, hundreds of thousands of foreigners, mainly Dominican, Cuban, Colombians, Venezuelans and others. Increasingly, the "culture" that we maintain is slowly being diluted. What do these same people that question the cultural identity of continentals have to say about that. 50 or 75 years from now, what will be left of "boricua culture". So this whole "you are not Puerto Rican, cause you live in gringolanda", for me, is part of the Puerto Rican cultural dilution that has been going on for decades.go. Que te parece BORICUA.
    Last edited by Sonambulo; 8th March 2015, 21:53.

Comment

Otra cosa

A funny thing happened on my way to Puerto Rican adulthood on the US mainland, I realized that as much as I was a national of an island territory of the US, I slowly became a citizen of the world. The implications: I love my tribe, but I am also one grain in a chain of the global community.

Comment

Working...
      X