The loss of RESPECT in society...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The loss of RESPECT in society...

I believe all respect has gone out of the window.
    Let me know your thoughts and we can chat.

------------------
    Mamichula
    Mamichula

what kind of respect has been lost to whom and who isn't showin it no more? Elaborate a lil more then we can talk cuz i feel ya if we on the same level...

------------------
    *~*~ADR~*~*
    @`,--QTPorVida---
    *~*~ADR~*~*
    @`,--QTPorVida---

Comment

I put it to you like this... Respect in an over all. To see that the President's personal, private life is being talked about all over the nation is ridiculus. From what I see in a lot of people that I come in contact with wether it be at work, the corner store friends... The respect to MARRIAGE is also gone out the window. The Respect for ONES self. I feel that not many people respect themselves as people. You see all these young kids... Because that is what they are, having sex like it's okay. To give you an example, I met a 15 year old girl and I asked her Does your mother know you are here? She was over my Suegra's house. She said; NO! I can do what ever I want. There is no one home... I can come and go as I please. I told her, you have no business being out of your house at 15 and your mother not know where you are. When You decide to become a parent, that is a long life full time job. I have two children, a boy and a girl and I tell them both from now how to be and why it is that I am so protective with them. There are times that I can be a bit easy with them, but I always let them know, you will not become a statistic. I was a kid myself not long ago, and due to my life experiences I know what is out there and what I don't want them to go through.
      Girl, I can tell you so much more... But let me know if you feel me on this.
      Mamichula

Comment

Im feelin ya on this tip. But i believe that it goes much deeper than one havin respect for one's self. Society as a whole in AMerica today has given people the reason to believe that one's self worth means nothing. For example, that 15 year old girl you tell me about. She has no control over her self respect it's her parents that has shown her that it's okay to be this way, and she has accepted it because they have. And unfortunately, besides the few of us with morals and values, everyone else has started to accept that this way is okay, as well. I was once this 15 year old girl, and i almost had a child to raise by the time i was 16 becuase of this. Not many people are lucky enough to get back up on their own feet and only end up diggin themselves deeper and deeper into this trap that american society has set up for everyone. It all begins with the parents, too. And it might go back so much further than that depending on the cultural roots of that family. If you wanna blame someone we can sit here all day and point fingers, right. I was interested in your first post, simply because I would like to know if you have any thoughts of how to change this pattern of ""respect going out the window". I bet it's not too late to try to do something, I can see you already have by teaching your children the way it should be in a morally right world. can i ask you if you fear that society will overrule the values that you have set into your kids when they grow older? Just some thoughts. Holla back. I like how you think. Peace...

------------------
        *~*~ADR~*~*
        @`,--QTPorVida---
        *~*~ADR~*~*
        @`,--QTPorVida---

Comment

I stand by mines 100%. It's just like when people from other coutries come to the states. You can make it or brake it. It is all up to you. We are called "Minority" When in reality we are the majority. That goes for anyone that is none white american. We are all categorized as one. That is wrong. Some people believe that because we are Puerto Rican, we are Black. I always find myself having this argument wich is I know no one is 100% of anything because if you want to go back into History everyone was having sex with everyone... So there is no one 100%. All I say is if you are going to put a label on me, give me what is right fully mine. Puerto Riquena to the end.

As far as for being worried about society over powering the morals that I have or am trying to install in my children... Well, I never say never but, I do believe and I ask God for his strength to help me raise my children the correct way. I strongly believe that once you have God in your life and you allow him to guide you, you and yours will be okay. I'm not saying that I am this church going person, because I'm not. But My parents tought me the right way and the wrong way of things. As you grow you learn more each day. One never stops learning. Life in a whole is a book full of different stories and that is who every individual is... a story. You are one and I am another. We each have a story to tell and if we could just come together as one and share our stories we would realize how EQUAL we are to one another.
          That would be my way of making it right. What you and I are doing now, is a great start. Look at how many people are linked into this web... IF we can get keep it going we will acomplish something. Don't you think?

I have to say, I'm glad I joined in. You and I sound like we would get a long really well.
          Mamichula

Comment

chica...you are so wise in the things that you say especially about the who labeling and minority shyt. yaknow...it's so much bullshyt and I am forver hearing it from everyone everywhere...mi amigos y mi familia tambien tu sabes? Pero what i want to know is how we can change it. We are, like you say the majority, right? So what is stopping us all from standing up and lettin our voices be heard? I don't understand are we scared? I wonder sometimes if it's because of all the hate and disrespect that we get and give by our own raza. How can we say that we want Americans to change when the hispanics need to show that we want to change first? do you feel me on this? We have earned such a filthy reputation and hate the Mexicans for it (for example). And the whites look at us and laugh. Why? and what can we do to get together as one. Not just the Ricans, not just the Colombians or Mexicans...but all of the hispanic race together and initiate something that not only will gain us our strength as a minority group but show the Americans that we deserve our respect, too. And so do our children. Tell me what you think.

------------------
            *~*~ADR~*~*
            @`,--QTPorVida---
            *~*~ADR~*~*
            @`,--QTPorVida---

Comment

You want to see Identity crisis? Come live in Hawaii. Hawaii is the one state that the minority is the caucasion. But loss of respect is due to changes for equal rights. People want the right to do anything they like no matter who it hurts. The theme is survival. With the ever increasing population, you are going to have drugs, gambling, stealing, and people who live in a doggy dog world. Unemployment also have contributed to the situation we are faced with. Self worth comes one believing in one self. So keep on trucking. Aloha!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by J.Vargas (edited 16 July 1999).]

Comment

J. Vargas....I want to ask you if you are one of those people who accept the way things are and just sit back and go with the flow huh? because if you haven't noticed that's what I think is wrong. Go to Hawaii you say and see an identity crisis. Okay I will do that and go back home and see what? The exact same thing. You don't seem to understand I (and I don't believe I am the only one) cannot just sit back and accept things like that. I feel like for anything there is an answer. Just because an issue faced is larger than me doesn't mean there isn't something more I can do that complain about it you know what I mean? I agree that self worth comes from within...that much is true...but the world can change...just because it goes from bad to worse doesn't mean it cant go from worse to better...

------------------
                *~*~ADR~*~*
                @`,--QTPorVida---
                *~*~ADR~*~*
                @`,--QTPorVida---

Comment

Queentraviesa! Change comes from within and desire to want change. We can blame everything on society or we can find a way to fit in and make things simpler for our love ones. I live in the ghettos of N.Y.C. for 16 years. I know what it is to be discriminated against. I've been through it all. But if I'm going to complain about how society treat us and allow them to beat me down, then that is accepting it. I change my out look for the better for my family and my children. I read and hear a lot about who is to blame. Well I can do that too! But I chose to do something about it. Accept it and take it lying down, I don't think so. My children get to get the chance they deserve and get to represent who we are with pride.
                  What are the issues here? Who oppressed you?
                  Can things the way they be change? Yes they can! Can they get better? Yes it can. But who is going to create this change for the better? Well I know the answer to that! We are the ones who can create this change. I have seen too many people who complain and do nothing about the way thing are. I have seen people who are happy with just a free hand out for 15 or 20 years or even more until the government states that they will not be giving anymore handouts. Then You hear how they are being discriminated against! I worked hard for what I have queentraviesa. I respect your opinion. But take a look around you and ask yourself what you can do to change the way things are!!!
                  TAKING CARE OF NO. 1 FIRST AND THEN CONTINUE TO FOLLOW WITH THE REST. AND ABOUT HAWAII?
                  I CHALLENGE YOU TO COME AND SEE FOR YOURSELF. HAWAII IS DIFFERENT FROM THE REST OF THE STATES. HAWAII IS THE MELTING POT FOR EVERY ETHNIC GROUP. Does that mean that people are not prejudice? No! But a whole lot better!!!!!! If you have not been here, don't knock it. People here get along really well with one another and not segregated like the big cities. Thank for your reply!! Have a nice day.

[This message has been edited by J.Vargas (edited 17 July 1999).]

Comment

J. Vargas, you get your point across quite nicely and I do agree with everything you have to say. I want to know tho if it is that you believe that it is every single individual that must change themselves in order to change a whole society? Do you know how hard it is for people to change for reasons such that they are scared to change, aren't strong enough to change, don't know how to change, or quite basically, DONT WANT TO CHANGE. like the people you mentioned with the handouts for 10 or 15 years, yes i understand and i see that all the time around me. I grew up in NYC, too yaknow. I see through your eyes, as well. Maybe not completely, but i understand why you feel the way you do. I of course believe that we can do more than help to change ourselves and influence that on our loved ones...but I also believe you can reach out and help your neighbor, a stranger...a whole community even. I wasn't knockin Hawaii, you are right i have never been there before.I don't understand the prejudice or discrimination issues that people are faced with down there. But that certainly doesn't mean I don't care or that I have never witnessed or been a victim of it before. Basically, J.Vargas, I didn't come here to argue or repeatedly put down American society. I came here becuase I wanted to get to meet a group of Puerto Ricans that could put their heads together and maybe throw out some ideas of how to make things change. Yes, change starts from within...but it grows out from there and can become worldwide...

------------------
                    *~*~ADR~*~*
                    @`,--QTPorVida---
                    *~*~ADR~*~*
                    @`,--QTPorVida---

Comment

Very well put!!!!! I have 3 bro's and my mom still in nyc that I care for very much. I left nyc to give my kids a chance. Also to give them a better opportunity. You realize that in order to help others one must help themselves. When I come across a fellow rican that is strugling to make it, I try to provide the moral support he need to continue to go on. There is a lot of opportunities for hispanics in this country. That is why I ventured to Hawaii. It's not an easy road but once a fellow hispanic see that the opportunity is available for them, then they'll try. We need to get away from the mentality about the white man in order to put ourselves in a position to help others. Yes they control most of the bussiness, but they don't control you or who you are and what you think!! You know Queentraviesa, I have a lot of respect for people like yourself, who cares what happens around you. That is very admirable. By the way I did't mean to come off strong either. I apoligize for anything said that might have given you that impression. Have a nice day. My email is J.Vargas@puertorico.com. Write me and we can exchange ideas. I'm really a teddy bear.

[This message has been edited by J.Vargas (edited 17 July 1999).]

Comment

J. Vargas...*smile* it's all good I usually enjoy heated debates and thought this was an opportunity for one of those, i didn't realize I was dealing with a teddy bear. But yeah, I do care what's going on around me very much, and I want so much to know how to make a difference and to try to change the things that the not only the hispanic nation but America as a whole. Because you're right it's not just the ricans who live here, we have to live with a thousand others who are so completely different from us, it would seem impossible that one could be your boss or your next door neighbor. On the flip side, though there are wars going on in America that need to stop. People are dying because of their differences, not recognizing them as being beautiful for being different, or if not beuatiful, at least worthy of respect because they are a human being. People are so blinded by self righteousness that it's hard to see past the little things. Not realizing how much stronger we could be if we only could get together. Black, white, hispanic, Jewish, it doesn't make a difference, we can hate and hate forever, it's the respect that's hard to show. I feel like I am babbling on right now but it upsets me so much to see these things that go on everyday. i know it's not always prejudice based, but that is what my issues are here. I know you feel me on this. I wonder where Brenda has been she's the one who got me here and I would like to hear her thoughts on these things some more. I hope we haven't strayed too far off the topic of the loss of respect in this society. Maybe, though we can lead the topic to a new direction: how to earn back that respect that society has lost...

------------------
                        *~*~ADR~*~*
                        @`,--QTPorVida---
                        *~*~ADR~*~*
                        @`,--QTPorVida---

Comment

Nice chatting with with you Queentraviesa. See around the forum!!!!!

Comment

i liked that argument you people where having very interesting points.but society has gone so far in sin that it will take a miracle to get back on track.

Comment

Good Morning All! Hello QueenTraviesa, I right here girl!!! I've been really busy... I like how we have gotten other people involved in this. Every story has three sides. Your side, their side and the right side. There is prejudice all over. I myself am a caring person too and I am always looking to help everybody. In that happening I sometimes forget myself and mines. J.Vargas is right when he said take care of #1 first. Always do that. There is only so much you can do for others. You can only extend your hand out for so long. If others don't want your help what can you do. I agree with J.Vargas in the topic of the Government Aid. Too many latinos come to America, have all kinds of babies get on Welfare and do nothing else but enjoy the free ride. That TRULY bothers me. People taking advantage of the system is another form of Disrespect. People know better than that. No matter where you go, you know someone has tought them better. Or someone they know has had a better upbringing than that. You are not supposed to take advantage of anyone or anything. Any time you start to take for granted what happens....? Everything or something goes wrong. To take anything for granted is just out right WRONG> My husband actually always tells me that I am too nice. Wich in some cases he is correct in his statement, but that doesn't stop me from being me. I am more cautious of who I am nice to. But I will continue on being the person that I am wich is an honest one.
                              These days people are out to see what they can get for nothing. To all good things one must work hard for them. I HATE the reputation that Puerto Rican women have of having babies and being on welfare. Sad to say there are a lot PuertoRican women that are like that. My family came to MASS in 1983 and we never went on welfare, and the reason for that is, My parents went and worked hard for ours. That is all a sign of respect for all. I wouldn't take advantage of anything or anyone. That is not the way to go. Today, I am married with two children and I work 9 1/2 hours a day 5 days a week. I am a Coordinator at a Computer Company. It's not what I want to do, but it's a job that pays the bills and my children aren't hungry. I want a good life for my family and in order to have that I have to basically bust my asss to get it. My parents aren't rich and I don't come from money... So that means I have to do it. In any race, you will have one of everything. You have and ass in every race... Your question of what can we do about it? "We" the STRONG ones need to get together and make it happen.
                              ON a funny note, J.Vargas can bring us to Hawii and we can start there...:-)
                              Where do you live any way?
                              Mamichula

Comment

Working...
                              X