SALUDOS A TODOS LOS BORICUAS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SALUDOS A TODOS LOS BORICUAS.

HELLO EVERYBODY. I AM SO GLAD TO FIND A BORICUA SITE. I AM A PUERTORICAN FEMALE WHICH WAS RAIZED IN NEW YORK. AT THE MOMENT I LIVE IN NEW JERSEY. I LOVE HAVING THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. NOT ONLY DOES IT BENEFIT AS FAR AS EMPLOYMENT, TO BE BILINGUAL BUT ALSO IN THE CULTURAL LEVEL. I LOVE PUERTO RICO, IT'S BEAUTIFUL. MY MOTHER AND SISTER ARE LIVING THERE AT THE MOMENT. AS FAR AS ME WELL NOT TO PUT DOWN MY ISLAND BUT I HAD TO GO "OUT" TO BECOME INDEPENDENT. I HAVE A GOOD JOB OVER HERE AND HOPE TO BE IN THE POSITION I WANT TO BE IN, IN 5YRS. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT MY BORICUAS THINK ABOUT THE "ESTADIDAD" ISSUE. I THINK THAT EVEN IF THE MAYORITY DOESN'T WANT IT, THAT EVENTUALLY IT WILL HAPPEN ONCE THE NEW GENERATION COMES IN EFFECT. MY GRANDMOTHER AND OLDER FAMILY MEMBERS STILL GO FOR "INDEPENDENTISTAS". DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT WILL EVER HAPPEN? PLEASE HOLLA BACK AND MAKE A FRIEND. PLEASE DON'T BE THAT UPTIGHT!!! I'M A REGULAR PERSON. I SAW HOW EVERYONE JUMPED ON THE GIRL WITH THE SLANG. REMEMBER THAT IT'S JUST A WAY OF LIVING A FORM OF EXPRESSION FOR THE YOUTH. THAT A PERSON RELATES TO ANOTHER IN SUCH WAY DOESN'T MEAN THIS PERSON IS NOT EDUCATED OR KNOWS HOW AND WHERE TO COME AT SOMEONE IN THE "PROPER" MANNER. I AM A VERY DIVERSE PERSON. I CAN RELATE TO MANY. "GHETTO" OR "WHITE". SO PLEASE LET'S JUST ALL GET ALONG. THERE IS TO MUCH **** GOING ON IN THE WORLD TO CRITIZES ANYONE. AND BY THE WAY, WHY ASK WHAT DID SHE MEAN ON THE SLANG IF YOU TURNED AROUND AND KNEW EXACTLY WHAT SHE MEANT. HOW MUCH SENSE DOES THAT MAKE. (I TALKING ABOUT THE REPLIES SOMEONE MADE TO THE YOUNG LADY LOOKING FOR MALE 2TALK2 AND HOLLA). REPLY AND LET ME KNOW WHAT MY PEOPLE ARE THINKING. BYE

Originally posted by smoothbuttarican
    I WANT TO KNOW WHAT MY BORICUAS THINK ABOUT THE "ESTADIDAD" ISSUE. I THINK THAT EVEN IF THE MAYORITY DOESN'T WANT IT, THAT EVENTUALLY IT WILL HAPPEN ONCE THE NEW GENERATION COMES IN EFFECT.
    Keep dreaming. I think after the Vieques and corruption situations, the next generation will go further from the PNP and other pro-statehood parties and more PPD and pro-independence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecuajey
      I WANT TO KNOW WHAT MY BORICUAS THINK ABOUT THE "ESTADIDAD" ISSUE. I THINK THAT EVEN IF THE MAYORITY DOESN'T WANT IT, THAT EVENTUALLY IT WILL HAPPEN ONCE THE NEW GENERATION COMES IN EFFECT.
      Keep dreaming. I think after the Vieques and corruption situations, the next generation will go further from the PNP and other pro-statehood parties and more PPD and pro-independence.
      I don't have to keep dreaming sir. I just want to know opinions. Thanks for the reply. I respect your opinion. I'm a veteran of the US Army, I only served 4yrs but I understand both, the military and civilian's point of view. I truly understand the Vieques situation but every state every, country, everybody goes through periods that just don't seem fair. Just like any other minority we need to suck it up and drive on for the better. We really need to be appriciative of what we have compared to many other countries. I lived in Cabo Rojo for some years and I saw how a little town which people barely knew, only for it's beaches, become full of drugs,corruption,diseases. Who's fault is that? It's not the US It' us. We need to unite and make PR a better place. Either PNP PPD or whatever. Schools aren't even on the level that they should be. Shouldn't we thank US for the little progress as a common wealth party?

Comment

I met a priest from Vietnam today. His name is Father Joseph Phan. He told the congregation of the hardships that his people have endured under communism. Religion is outlawed in his country. God has been replaced by Ho Chi Minh. It is he who provides food and shelter. He told us of other things done to his people. He told our congregation how lucky we were to be living in the United States of America. At that moment I thanked the Good Lord that I was born and raised here. We are fortunate to be American citizens. We have it good compared to other countries. I realize that the USA isn't perfect. She has her flaws, BUT compared to the rest of the countries of the world, I will take the USA over all of them. This is the greatest country in the world, warts and all. So be sure to thank the Lord in your prayers tonight for living in the United States of America.

After all, where else would you rather be?

NJ7070

Comment

Just like any other minority we need to suck it up and drive on for the better. We really need to be appriciative of what we have compared to many other countries. I lived in Cabo Rojo for some years and I saw how a little town which people barely knew, only for it's beaches, become full of drugs,corruption,diseases. Who's fault is that? It's not the US It' us. We need to unite and make PR a better place. Either PNP PPD or whatever. Schools aren't even on the level that they should be. Shouldn't we thank US for the little progress as a common wealth party?
          I agree with you on that. We do need to make Puerto Rico a better place. I'm from Juncos, from family documents dating over 170 years, and it is a town full of corruption, drugs, and diseases. Actually, go here to see what's the main problem http://www.puertorico.com/forums/sho...?threadid=9309 . Still, there is much history on why drugs and disease is infesting PR. I sure do know how drugs came into Juncos. It's not just our fault, and I'm not blaming the USA, but PR's were inroduced to drugs from immigrants coming from PR to the USA, then coming back. Simple history in which everyone knows or should know.

Anyway, yes, we can thank Luis Muñoz Marín, Teodoro Moscoso, and at least one Colonial USA Governor, Rexford Guy Tugwell, for trying to improve PR as much as they could. Still, that economical model (Operation Bootsrap) failed during the 70's and the penepé and some populares politicians messed things up even more and continue to do so. With the USA, if you get something from them, you have to give back in return. Nothing is in goodwill, but if what you give in return is pretty much like giving your soul to the devil (No pun intended.) for a pair of jeans.

Puerto Rico has progressed, but as you stated, the drugs, corruption, and disease are in our island, with that and the lack of voice and freedom, is this "progression" really worth it or worth anything? We have progressed more than some of our neighbors, but some of our Caribbean brotheran have progressed more than we have. Some nations similar to us have progressed. http://www.puertorico.com/forums/sho...?threadid=9015

Yes, I agree with you, we should move forward, but currently, we are not and I don't think statehood can do that. http://www.puertorico.com/forums/sho...?threadid=8563 My opinion, I respect yours.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ7070
            I met a priest from Vietnam today. His name is Father Joseph Phan. He told the congregation of the hardships that his people have endured under communism....I realize that the USA isn't perfect. She has her flaws, BUT compared to the rest of the countries of the world, I will take the USA over all of them. This is the greatest country in the world, warts and all. So be sure to thank the Lord in your prayers tonight for living in the United States of America.

Comparing Puerto Rico to Vietnam? I'm not even going to go there. But from my two cents worth, the USA was in a war that it shouldn't have been and made things worth, economicaly, socially, and death toll wise in Vietnam than it would have been if it was just a war between the North and the South. Not only my feelings, but of most Americans and even Veterans and current military serving men and women whom I heard from.

I don't concider the USA the greatest nation in the world. I love the USA, with out of doubt, but I find that you should never exault your nation or people to the status of the best. Once you do that, then your no better than Nazi Germany. I would say that to anyone who wrote what you wrote, I did it once to a Canadian, putting down Bosnia. Every nation has it's good and it's bad. No nation can excape suffering, all nations in the world have or are either colonized or oppressed or are imperialistic. Which one is the USA?

The USA does have a lot of great attributes, but the warts are so huge, they need to be amputated. I believe a lot needs to be improved and I see everyday what things can be made better and why they are not. Every day. Just my opinion that I didn't hear from a Vietnamese priest.

Comment

Answer the question. Where would you rather be?

Originally posted by Ecuajey
              I met a priest from Vietnam today. His name is Father Joseph Phan. He told the congregation of the hardships that his people have endured under communism....I realize that the USA isn't perfect. She has her flaws, BUT compared to the rest of the countries of the world, I will take the USA over all of them. This is the greatest country in the world, warts and all. So be sure to thank the Lord in your prayers tonight for living in the United States of America.

Comparing Puerto Rico to Vietnam? I'm not even going to go there. But from my two cents worth, the USA was in a war that it shouldn't have been and made things worth, economicaly, socially, and death toll wise in Vietnam than it would have been if it was just a war between the North and the South. Not only my feelings, but of most Americans and even Veterans and current military serving men and women whom I heard from.

I don't concider the USA the greatest nation in the world. I love the USA, with out of doubt, but I find that you should never exault your nation or people to the status of the best. Once you do that, then your no better than Nazi Germany. I would say that to anyone who wrote what you wrote, I did it once to a Canadian, putting down Bosnia. Every nation has it's good and it's bad. No nation can excape suffering, all nations in the world have or are either colonized or oppressed or are imperialistic. Which one is the USA?

The USA does have a lot of great attributes, but the warts are so huge, they need to be amputated. I believe a lot needs to be improved and I see everyday what things can be made better and why they are not. Every day. Just my opinion that I didn't hear from a Vietnamese priest.
              I don't see the correlation between what the Priest stated and the comparison between Vietnam and Puerto Rico. Please
              elaborate Ecuajey. How is it then that you can compare me to a Nazi This from a person who criticizes Israel at the slightest provocation. The Nazis didn't like the jews and I suspect neither do you. Having said that, let it be known then that your opinion with regards to me and the Israelis is of no consequence. You may state your true feelings about Jews. I won't take it personal. Well....Let's talk about the USA

But first allow me to ask you a question or two. Do live in Puerto Rico or in the continental states? Do you work in Puerto Rico or in the states? For the sake of privacy no specifics are required with regard to residence and employment. Did you study in Puerto Rico or the states?

WHat I feel about the USA is akin to my relationship with my mom. I feel that she is the greatest mom in the world. She has flaws and shortcomings. I won't make the mistakes with my children that she made with me, I'm sure that my children will improve on what I will eventually teach them when the time comes. I am not the greatest son in the world. She thinks so but that's how mothers are. They believe that their children are the best in the world. For the most part they wouldn't trade us for nothing in the world. I feel that way about my mom. I don't care about her shortcomings-she's human for crying out loud. In my heart of hearts she is the greatest mother in the world. There are millions of great mothers. Applauso y medio for them. BUUUUUT my mom is tops. She is the only mother I have ever known so you better believe that I am going to hold her in high esteem but not at the expense of others

The USA is the only country that I have ever known. It is where my mom and dad brought me into the world. They came to the continental United States because their economic situation back then made it impossible to provide for a family. They didn't want none of my brothers to struggle so they came here to have quality of life. It was very difficult for them to leave the only home they ever knew and that was the star of the Carribean. You know her as Puerto Rico as do I. Love for their Island and her people wasn't going to pay the bills. It wasn't going to provide them with shelter and it wasn't going to feed my brothers and me. Where do you think they thought of going? It wasn't France. It wasn't Spain. It wasn't any of the countries that make up the rest of Latin America. THere was only one logical choice. It had to be the states and why not? They were citizens of the USA warts and all. Orale Ecuajey, take a look at the many faces you find in the the USA. Everyone ends up coming to the United States of America. Look at the our history. People have left their homelands and dared to come here, to a foreign land that they didn't know but heard of. Imagine that Ecuajey. People actually leaving it all behind and coming here without a bucket to piss in or a window to throw it out of. They would rather start all over in another land then stay in their own country and end up having nothing that they can call their own, subsequently nothing to live for. How about those that are here because of the political climate in their countries. Talk to someone from Cuba, Cambodia, Vietnam, Russia, Somalia, Iraq, Iran, China, North Korea and so on. I can bet you that the majority that have cast their lots here will never move back to their homelands. They will visit if it is safe to do so, but rest assured they return to their new home; The
              United States of America. I pose the question to you once more. Where would you rather be if not the USA. What other country will make it possible for you to better yourself. What other country will afford you the freedom and the opportunities to pursue your happiness? Where will you raise your children? Spain, England, Dominican Republic, Mexico. How about Canada or Switzerland. Move there then if you are so disenfranchised. I dare you then to find a better place to live in this imperfect world with it's imperfect people. Find the lesser evil and see if you can establish roots. Find that country with the least amount of problems and then write to all of us at PuertoRico.Com. You have the right to pursue your own version of nirvana. There is and old saying it goes like this" Better the devil that you know". I bet 5.00 and a dime that you will say" I choose the USA even with all her problems. She does have her problems. I'm not a blind patriot but I will remain loyal to my motherland and yes Ecuajey, I would fight for her and die for her if she were ever attacked again.

NJ7070

Comment

Read it all, every word is precious to truly understand me!

I don't see the correlation between what the Priest stated and the comparison between Vietnam and Puerto Rico. Please
                elaborate Ecuajey. How is it then that you can compare me to a Nazi This from a person who criticizes Israel at the slightest provocation. The Nazis didn't like the jews and I suspect neither do you. Having said that, let it be known then that your opinion with regards to me and the Israelis is of no consequence. You may state your true feelings about Jews. I won't take it personal. Well....Let's talk about the USA
                Ok, I'm going to try to be very non-offensive here, because, of course, my reputation in this forum is of being harsh on people.

First of all, you added something that wasn't meant to be added from what I stated. I never said I didn't see the comparison of Vietnam, PR, and the Priest. I said Vietnam and PR. Why? Of course, two entirely different cultures, history, besides colonialism from European powers and eventual abuse by the USA. That is pretty much it, but I don't see PR becoming a communist nation in the future. Do you?

Second, I never called you a Nazi. Here is what I exactly wrote:

"I love the USA, with out of doubt, but I find that you should never exault your nation or people to the status of the best. Once you do that, then your no better than Nazi Germany. I would say that to anyone who wrote what you wrote, I did it once to a Canadian, putting down Bosnia."

It surely implies that, what you wrote, isn't something anyone should do, because it would be like what people in Nazi Germany did. Think their nation was the best, and once you do that, of course there's no stopping you from believing others are below you. Thus, de-humanizing people and making it easy to think you can kill or colonize them. I know or would think so, that that wasn't your intention, but remember, everything starts in steps, and a comment that implies, or in your case, straight out and screamed it, one nation is better than another, makes people think what are your feelings on other nations and cultures on the planet. I said it to others who wrote and said the same thing before, and used Nazi Germany as an example, not as who I believe they are.

Also, the Jews? Now anyone who feels the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land where they have a majority in, is wrong, are anti-Jewish? Than what were those Jewish organizations and Rabbi's making speeches in D.C. a few days ago were? Are they anti-Jewish when they happen to be Jewish and attending Synagogue, praying on the Torah? I am a buddhist, thus, any religion who preaches compassion, I have no hard feelings towards nor do I believe that they are evil, or wrong, and are damned to hell. It's simply against my religious beliefs to hate Jews, or for any people for that matter. I even have some friends who are Jewish. Also, when I criticized Israel on this forum, it was after they went into many Palestinian towns and started shooting and rounding up people, that is not a slight provocation. Also, I spoken my peace on it, you bringing it up again means you want nasty confrontation, and sorry, you won't get it from me. Start up another thread on this subject if you want.

But first allow me to ask you a question or two. Do live in Puerto Rico or in the continental states? Do you work in Puerto Rico or in the states? For the sake of privacy no specifics are required with regard to residence and employment. Did you study in Puerto Rico or the states?
                If I was able to live in Puerto Rico, I would go there in a second. I am planning to one day. The reason for that, and it's strange that you already do not know this when everyone on this forum does, is because I am 16 years old. I'm not in control of my own destiny, legally anyway. lol!

I work in the USA, again, because I am forced to live here, even in a city that I did not choose to live in, and out of the sake of helping out my family. I am studying in the USA now, of course if I am living here. Though, when I finish H.S. I am maybe planning to go to college in PR, or some other foreign country for the experience of living abroad. What were the point of asking these questions? I guess you want to write, "AH HA,! you criticize the country that you live in, work in, and study in, how could you bite the hand that feeds you." Well, mejito, it wasn't my choice to have been born here, and as I stated before, even though I love the USA, mainly because of the people I have meet, that doesn't mean I can't criticize it.

Again, you might write, "you can criticize it, because it is the land of freedom!" Well, mejito, if you cross a certain line in this country, your rights can be taken away from you. Go, try it, I beg you to. This country isn't perfect and have taken the rights off people abroad, and there is also many injustices in this nation and the main reason you have people who, like me, criticize the USA while living in it, is because we want things to change for the better. I know people who criticize this system everyday, because they believe it can be better and actually either want or are trying to change it through the education or the legal system. Criticism sometimes is good, so you know what you are doing wrong and what you can do better. That in no way removes "varnish" this country might have, just tells the whole story. I think I pretty much summed up what I want to say to you, but I'll keep going for the sake of clarity.

WHat I feel about the USA is akin to my relationship with my mom. I feel that she is the greatest mom in the world. She has flaws and shortcomings. I won't make the mistakes with my children that she made with me, I'm sure that my children will improve on what I will eventually teach them when the time comes. I am not the greatest son in the world. She thinks so but that's how mothers are. They believe that their children are the best in the world. For the most part they wouldn't trade us for nothing in the world. I feel that way about my mom. I don't care about her shortcomings-she's human for crying out loud. In my heart of hearts she is the greatest mother in the world. There are millions of great mothers. Applauso y medio for them. BUUUUUT my mom is tops. She is the only mother I have ever known so you better believe that I am going to hold her in high esteem but not at the expense of others
                Hold on to your mommy as hard and long as you want. I neither blame you or criticize you for it. The country is your country and it is the one you have chosen that you want to hold on to forever. Still, sometimes mommies have dark pasts and have secrets that not even her children know about.

The USA is the only country that I have ever known. It is where my mom and dad brought me into the world. They came to the continental United States because their economic situation back then made it impossible to provide for a family. They didn't want none of my brothers to struggle so they came here to have quality of life. It was very difficult for them to leave the only home they ever knew and that was the star of the Carribean. You know her as Puerto Rico as do I. Love for their Island and her people wasn't going to pay the bills. It wasn't going to provide them with shelter and it wasn't going to feed my brothers and me. Where do you think they thought of going? It wasn't France. It wasn't Spain. It wasn't any of the countries that make up the rest of Latin America. THere was only one logical choice. It had to be the states and why not? They were citizens of the USA warts and all. Orale Ecuajey, take a look at the many faces you find in the the USA. Everyone ends up coming to the United States of America. Look at the our history. People have left their homelands and dared to come here, to a foreign land that they didn't know but heard of. Imagine that Ecuajey. People actually leaving it all behind and coming here without a bucket to piss in or a window to throw it out of. They would rather start all over in another land then stay in their own country and end up having nothing that they can call their own, subsequently nothing to live for. How about those that are here because of the political climate in their countries.
                Ok, I'm going to try to write this as softly as I can. Don't think I'm trying to push your buttons here, but I'm trying to be straight with you.

That was a choice for my family as well. Still, do you know the whole history behind the mass immigration of Boricuas to the USA? Look it up. In any way, your parents did make the best choice they thought were right, and of course, being USA citizens, made it easier to have access to the richest nation in the world. Still, people in British Guyana and India had British Citizenship, and emigrated to England and live a good standard now because of that. There is no difference between your scenario and people in India, your parents had access to something that was better than what they currently had, and they took it. That still doesn't remove the fact the faults of the nation they went to, nor does it remove the fact of the crimes they committed on the original homeland. Always good and bad.

The USA was founded on great principles and ideas, doesn't mean it has completely lived up to those principles. Just because people wanted to come here because of hearing it thousands of miles away, doesn't mean what they heard was exactly true. People from foreign countries see N.Y.C with it's big buildings, but when they finally go there, they are forced into crime infested ghettos. Look at the Capital of the U.S.A for a great example!

This is a very diverse country, and with a lot of opportunities, but of course, is a nation where social and ethnic classes are extremely divided and were much more divided when your parents came to the USA. I am glad I met so many people from so many religions, cultures, and nations in the USA. The USA, like the rest of the Americas has been the home of immigrants who have risked it all in the idea that things could be better. That doesn't necessarily mean things did become better, even after the first, second, third, even fourth generation. Argentina, Canada, México...etc have great émigré populations, it's just they assimilated into the existing culture, and in the USA the cultures are in separated ghettos where each culture still remains close to home. It is much more than an idea, or diversity. Yes, it is better of then many other nations, but does that make it the best, or perfect? No, always room for improvements, and in many ways some nations have some things better than the USA does, and vice versa. As, I stated before I truly do love the USA, but I don't think it is for the same reasons that you have.

Talk to someone from Cuba, Cambodia, Vietnam, Russia, Somalia, Iraq, Iran, China, North Korea and so on. I can bet you that the majority that have cast their lots here will never move back to their homelands. They will visit if it is safe to do so, but rest assured they return to their new home; The
                United States of America. I pose the question to you once more. Where would you rather be if not the USA. What other country will make it possible for you to better yourself. What other country will afford you the freedom and the opportunities to pursue your happiness?
                I already have. As I stated before, not exactly sure in this thread, but on another, that no nation can escape suffering, every country feels pain. The majority of the nations in the world are in poverty, are in pain, but the USA isn't the only one that doesn't and the USA itself isn't immune to it and is feeling it right now in certain parts of the country.

Where I rather be? Puerto Rico of course. If I had been born in France, Spain, Singapore, or Japan, I would of course, think differently, because I would have grown up in a different culture or environment. Actually it is interesting, one person once told me, that if a person was offered all the cultures and nations in the world to be reborn into, they most likely would pick their own. lol! Which is similar to "better to pick the devil that you know than the one you don't know." I heard that once before. The estranged devil I pick, truly is, Puerto Rico, over the devil I known since day one.

I bet 5.00 and a dime that you will say" I choose the USA even with all her problems. She does have her problems. I'm not a blind patriot but I will remain loyal to my motherland and yes Ecuajey, I would fight for her and die for her if she were ever attacked again.
                You can have that $5.10, but it isn't for the reason in which you think it is. I explained why, it's simple habitat and culture one grew up into. Still, that is besides the USA and PR. In anyway case, besides the continental USA, it would be PR. I have seen Boricuas raise children in Spain, Japan, and even México, not only on military bases. Everyone finds their own paradise. You choose the USA, I have no problem with that. I am choosing a different path, and you should have no problem with that either.

I'm not a blind patriot either, I don't even conceder myself a patriot. I feel one have to give up their life for their country to actually, truly, become a patriot. I would feel that I would die for PR, but neither you nor I have been tested like that before. It's one thing to say or write something, it is another to actually fulfill that promise.

There are many in this forum who show love to the USA, while criticizing it, and striving for the better. It doesn't mean they are less patriotic than you are, it just means they know what they like, and what they don't like, the good with the bad, and seek improvements. Nacionalista, Conciencia, Leticia_g, and I are like that. That is the difference between us and you. You love the USA, while not fully recognizing it's faults, but none the less, recognizing it, but criticize those who do the same, but take it one step further and name those faults and say, "listen, this is what it shouldn't do and what it can do." My two cents were to grant PR independence, and end it's colonial embarrassment. I would do the same if I had been born in Cuba, or Great Britain, but I was not.

I love certain aspects of the USA, even with it's faults and crimes that I will forever criticize until they are changed. Like you wrote, you feel the USA is your mother. The feelings I have for the USA is like my mother, I love her no matter what, but there will always be a past, always be certain aspects of her, that I can never truly forgive and will always criticize and seek the better. I don't think the USA is the best nation in the world, I don't think any nation is truly better in every aspect than another. What I believe is that there is room for improvements, and those who truly love the USA, will realize it's faults and strive to make it better. I, on the other hand, feel that my destiny, or the destiny that I feel closest to, is one that doesn't completely involve the USA, but something much smaller, but in reality, it doesn't make a difference.

Be that as it may, no hard feelings. I explained what needed to be explained. Take care.

[Edited by Ecuajey on 30th April 2002 at 05:39]

Comment

THE SUBJECT GOT A LITTLE OFF COURSE BUT I HAVE MY OWN OPINION AND THAT IS SOMETHING I HAVE AS AN AMERICAN. COMPARING US TO NAZI JUST FOR LOVING OUR NATION IS RIDICULOUS. I CAN ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS ASKED, I HAVE LIVED, WORKED, WENT TO SCHOOL AND HAVE FAMILY IN PR. THAT STILL DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE THAT I AM NOW IN THE STATES HAVE A JOB HERE AND FINISHED HS HERE.I HAVE A BOND IN MY HEART WITH PR, I WAS BORN IN MAYAGUEZ. I GREW UP WITH MY GRANDPARENTS TELLING ME STORIES ABOUT PR. IT WAS HARD BACK THEN COMPARED TO NOW AND THAT'S WHERE MY OPINION COMES IN. IF THE CASE WAS THAT PEOPLE IN PR WANT TO STAY LIVING "HUMILDE" THEN THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY, THEN WHY ARE WE COMMON WEALTH? THERE IS NO WAY WE CAN COMPARE THE PAST WITH NOW BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE SO MUCH SMARTER AND WISER NOW. LOOK AT TECHNOLOGY HOW IT'S GROWING. WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT NOW NOT IN RETRO. WHATEVER HAPPENED YEARS AGO WITH MINORITIES,SLAVERY,INJUSTICE HAS PAST. WE DIDN'T LIVE IT SO WE CAN'T POINT FINGERS NOW. TALKING ABOUT DRUGS AND CORRUPTION; I DO UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION ON HOW DID THE DRUGS GET THERE, EITHER IT WAS THE GOVERNMENT,THE WHITE MAN,THE POLICE,THE COLOMBIAN OR WHO EVER, WE NEED TO HOLD RESPONSIBITY FOR ONES OWN. IF THERE WERE MORE PROGRAMS FOR KIDS,BETTER FACILITIES OF EDUCATION AND/OR RESOURCES, KIDS CAN LEARN MORE POSITIVE THINGS.NOT JUST ONLY FOR SAN JUAN AND THE METRO AREA BUT FOR ALL PR. WHO WIL DO THAT? NO OTHER THAN THE US. EVEN WHEN THERE ARE NATURAL DISASTERS LIKE HURRACANE GEORGE, PEOPLE WERE QUICK TO RUN TO FEMA FOR HELP BUT WHERE ARE THE FUNDS COMING FROM?
                  WHILE I WAS IN THE SERVICE I REALIZED THAT IF WE CAN'T DEFEND EACH OTHER AS A NATION THAN WHO WILL? I AM A VERY DIVERSE PERSON WHO LOVES EVERYONE AND EVERY RACE BUT WHEN IT COMES TO MY FAMILY AND MY NATION I AM WITH IT ALL THE WAY. WE HAVE CAME A LONG WAY TO GET TO WHERE WE ARE, WHY NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THAT? DID PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE? YES, BUT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN GIVING THEIR LIFE FOR THEIR BELIEF'S SINCE THE BIBLE. ISSUES ALL AROUND THE WORLD WILL ALWAY'S BE, ONE MAN OR A MILLION SOLDIERS CAN'T RESOLVE THAT BUT WE CAN ALL MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I'M NOT SAYING THAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO LOVE THE US, BUT WE CAN ALL (RACES) EMBRACE IT. I NOTICE YOU DIDN'T CALL ANYONE A NAZI WHEN I SAID I LOVE PR, BUT YES WHEN I SAID I LOVE THE USA YOU DID,WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE THERE. I THINK THAT WE NEED TO UNITE AS A NATION AND THEN PR WILL BECOME A BETTER PLACE. FOR YOU FOR ME AND FOR ALL.

Comment

THE SUBJECT GOT A LITTLE OFF COURSE BUT I HAVE MY OWN OPINION AND THAT IS SOMETHING I HAVE AS AN AMERICAN. COMPARING US TO NAZI JUST FOR LOVING OUR NATION IS RIDICULOUS.
                    First of all, remove the caps, it's bad manners on this forum. It appears as if you are yelling.

Second of all, who said I called those who love America, Nazi's? I guess you didn't read my post through in through out! I said if you believe your nation is the best, meaning you think it is superior, then you are doing the same thing the Nazi's did. You can love your nation, but to think you, or your country is better than other nations, can be offensive to those who don't really feel the connection or aren't from your particular country. I wrote on this thread that I love the USA about or more than three times, and definately don't consider myself a Nazi! lol! Get the difference now?

Oh, and I didn't even see one person on this thread who said they loved Puerto Rico. If they did and said PR's are the best and it is the best, I would have reacted the same way as I did to NJ. (I never called you a Nazi, or even implied it, my comments were directed towards NJ, I quoted him, not you. Still, I did not imply he was a Nazi either. )

If you don't realize the past, you are doomed to repeat it. We need to learn from the past, and from the mistakes of it. No matter how much we grow, the past is there to learn from and reflect upon. If you don't agree with that, then I think you should start a petition on banning history classes in education systems. lol!

Also, do you think it should be like that? You think it seems beautiful that Puerto Rico is always asking for money from the USA? What country do you think is going to want to invade PR, besides the USA? If you write Cuba, I'm going to bust out laughing. Go ahead, write it, but I think you should realize why that isn't going to happen. lol!

There is more that we can do, and if we don't prepare to become better as a people, who will? Will the USA force us too? No, they make too much money off of us. More than they give us. Did you know that?

I agree with you, unity is something that is important, but who will "cast the first stone?"

Go to the politics section, post this subject and read some of the threads. You will learn more there then in the Open Board, with better replies. Trust me.

P.S.
                    What do you consider yourself? A Nuyorican or a Puerto Rican,? because I saw you post on another forum section that you are a Nuyorican, misspelled as a NewYorkRican. Just a friendly question.

Did you go to those thread links I posted on this thread? You should, it will answer some of your questions and opinions. Take care!

Comment

HAHA

BEFORE ANYTHING, I AM NOT LOSING THE CAPS BECAUSE I AM NOT YELLING.NO DISRESPECT TO WHO THINKS THAT. SECOND I AM NOT IN IT TO TALK ABOUT POLITICS ALL I WANTED WAS SOME OPINIONS ON THE SUBJECT.I CAN RESPECT YOUR OPINION BUT I DO NOT GET EASILY INTIMIDATED BY ANYONE WHO DOESN'T. I HAVE TO REPLY THIRD ON THE NEWYORKRICAN ISSUE, IT BOTHERS ME WHEN PEOPLE TRY TO BE SO PERFECT WHEN THEY ARE NOT. DO YOU REALLY THINK I NEED TO BE A PERFECT SPELLER TO SATISFY YOU? YOU ARE NOT INSULTING MY INTELLIGENCE BY LETTING ME KNOW WHAT WORDS I SPELL IN MY OWN WAY ARE INCORRECT.YES I CONSIDER MYSELF NUYORKRICAN--DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IDENTITY? YOU NEED TO BE A LITTLE MORE OPEN TO THE NEW GENERATION AND STOP BEING SO UPTIGHT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I LIKE FRIENDLY DISCUSSIONS--AIN'T NO BEEF--I LIKE TO LEARN FROM OTHERS. WHEN I AM WRONG I ADMIT BUT YOU CAN'T CHANGED THE WAY I THINK BECAUSE YOU CAN SPELL AND PROBABLY READ MORE BOOKS THAN ME. NOW ABOUT THE NAZI THING, THAT'S HOW I TOOK IT. I AM NEW TO THIS SITE SO I HAVE NEVER SEEN YOUR POST SAYING YOU LOVE USA. ON THE HISTORY ISSUE, I NEVER SAID FORGET IT !! I MEANT IT AS WE CAN'T DWELL ON THE FACT FOR EVER BECAUSE WE REALLY WON'T GET NO WHERE. HISTORY IS A BEAUTIFUL THING BUT WE NEED TO LOOK FOWARD AND NOT BACK. HOW DO YOU FIGURE THAT I LIKE PR TO BEG THE US FOR MONEY? YOU ARE A FUNNY PERSON HAHAHA IF YOU THINK OF IT AS BEGGING THEN THAT'S YOU. DO YOU THINK THE US GET'S ALL "THIS" MONEY FROM PR? US GOT MONEY REGARDLESS WITH OR WITHOUT PR. HOW CAN YOU COMPARE SUCH A SMALL ISLAND TO BILLIONS OF DOLLARS? ANOTHER THING IS --DO YOU LIKE ORGANIZATION? BECAUSE THAT IS ALL IT IS. A SYSTEM IN WHICH MANY MAY THINK IS USELESS BUT IMAGINE THE WORLD WITHOUT IT. TOTAL CAOS. OTHER COUNTRIES ARE TRING TO USE US AS AN EXAMPLE TO EXCEL. NOTHING IN THIS WORLD IS PERFECT, I GUESS YOU WILL BE SITTING ON A GREEN CHAIR DREAMING & WAITING FOR THAT PERFECT WORLD TO BECOME OR THAT PERFECT SYSTEM TO EXIST. TENEMOS QUE AGRADECERLE AL SENOR POR LO QUE YA TENEMOS Y DEJAR DE SER MAL AGRADECIDOS, CRITICANDO TODO LO QUE VIENE EN CARA. I NEVER MEANT THAT WE ARE BETTER BUT THAT WE HAVE IT GOOD COMPARED TO OTHER COUNTRIES WHERE LIFE CAN BE SO DIFFICULT TO LIVE, NO OPINION, NO FREEDOM. I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO REPLY ON THE CUBA THING CAUSE YOU MADE ME LAUGH. BABY, PUERTO RICO IS NOT GOING NO WHERE -- IT'S GOING TO STAY COMMON WEALTH--UNTIL IT BECOMES A STATE!!

Comment

smoothbuttarican....

Duh, your not actually yelling, but it is hard for someone toe ven read your posts when you have caps on. Please, be respectful and put them down. You might not mean to be disrespectful, but guess what, if you cursed out an old lady, but all you know were curse words, thus you didn't mean to be disrespectful, were you still disrespectful and offensive to that old lady? Get what I mean?

I am a Nuyorican. You an call yourself what you want, but would you like it if people wrote Puerto Rico or puertorriqueño completely wrong. You are who you are, but every aspect of what you are, manifested into writing or respresentative symbols are as important as the person. That's my look on things.

You made me laugh when I read your reply.

Why? It's because you are so ignorant. Not, because you have different opinions from mines, but because you have no idea what you are talking about and you are replying without reading the posts your replying too.

I have no respect or openess about this generation? I told you to read my posts, in this thread, this thread. Not my other posts on different threads, but this one right here. I am 16 years old. I am more apart of this generation then you are. Please, I don't even read tha tmuch anymore, but I should, just as you should. Life is full of learning and we should all participate.

Oh, and again, I said I loved the USA, 3 times in this thread, just read my posts here on this thread you created. You have a lot to learn in this forum.

Oh PR won't become a state. You want to know why? Click on this link http://www.puertorico.com/forums/sho...?threadid=8563 and start reading. You dont want to, you don't have to, but then I won't argue with you on that subject anymore, because I will know your not open to other ideas and facts! on the issue. Who wan't to argue with someone who is ignorant? Do you?

PR does have it good in some areas, and no, this world is not perfect, but guess what, other countries have it better than us. Oh, and yes I am tlaking billions of dollars, something PR makes every year, but most of it goes to the USA? Why? Many questions must be answered by yourself, you probably won't believe me if I told you. This, "PR is so little, and the USA is so big, PR has nothing, we have it so good, but we are nothing" self-esteem is getting old. Islands smaller than PR has excelled in less time and with elss help than PR. This is the 21st century, the world might not be perfect, but guess what, the world is growing fast and becoming more advanced than at any point in the 8,000 years of Civilization.

No hard feelings and take care.

Comment

Orale Ecuajey/Patria y la Pava/Hombre cuidad

I am not looking for a confrontation. I have nothing against you. It would be pointless, not to mention a complete waste of time to harbor hatred for someone I can't put a face on. Besides I respect the art of discourse and all of the exchanges of opinions it brings about. No hard feelings taken. Me entiendes mendes?

The USA has done a lot of bad things. Don't interptret the fact that I don't mention them as unawareness on my part.

Take it easy carnal

NJ7070

Comment

Just simply call me Ecuajey.

I am not looking for a confrontation. I have nothing against you. It would be pointless, not to mention a complete waste of time to harbor hatred for someone I can't put a face on. Besides I respect the art of discourse and all of the exchanges of opinions it brings about. No hard feelings taken. Me entiendes mendes?

The USA has done a lot of bad things. Don't interptret the fact that I don't mention them as unawareness on my part.
                            I am not either. I enjoy exchanging ideas that is what this forum is all about. I never had any hard feelings against you, but may I ask, what's with the sudden....niceness and respect? lol.

Yes, it has done a lot of terrible things, and I don't blame anyone who loves the USA for that, as I stated in this thread, but acknowledgement of it is what's important. Take care.

Comment

Estaridad o Independencia

Well like Smoothbuttarican I lived in both worlds and both have its good and bad. We are able to voice our opinions and live the life we want as long as we do not try to interferr with others.
                              Puerto Rico has a lot to offer as a culture and as a nation yet we do have our flaws. Drugs and corruption have made its way into our lives and we are the blame. We allowed it and let it grow.

People now hide their faces instead of joining forces to get rid of it. I know I fought it in Verde Mar. For ten years two families fought against it and in the end we had to move. The other people let drugs into their life and stoled, hurt, destroyed others for their enjoyment. The police did little since they were afraid, overworked, or did not care.

I lived in Indiana and if you called a police they showed up in less than 5 minutes in PR wait about two to three hours. Let me say that it is not everyone some want to do their job but are not given the tools to do it.

We also want our cake and eat it too. We want jobs yet we do not want to work, we want new cars yet we want the quick way. We have changed as a nation and it is our fault. We elect the same crooks, we tolerate their stealing, we allow it.

I miss my isla, I still have my house there hoping to goback some day, yet the last time I went I saw so much drugs and lack of respect I am not sure I will ever go back.

I hope I do not offend any one yet I had to give my two cents. Yes we can find the good and the bad in everything yet the PR I knew when young has gone and the new PR at this point is not for me.

Smoothbuttarican, keep PR in your heart and try to do the best for you. Show what being a boricua means by doing what is right and correct and slowly if everyne did this we would change the way people see us.

Comment

Working...
                              X